04 DC Taco Seat Replacement

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Anyone have a good place to pick up used or even new old stock seats? I'm thinking the previous owner was either large or short, the left side of the bottom cushion is completely blown out. Guessing from straining to touch the ground on the way out and hopping in. Would like to find a new one since it gets a bit uncomfortable on longer hauls. Or since these aren't the most comfortable seats in the first place anyone know a good seat swap for these? Do 3rd gen 4runner seats bolt up? might be more of those around to steal from.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I wasn't impressed at all with my $1200 Corbeau XRS's in the old GMC, they were stiff, started falling apart WAY to soon and factory seats were much more comfortable... FYI.

Tonkaman

Really? I'm glad I mentioned it on here then. I've always coveted those XRS seats, and keep plotting ways to 'need' them ha ha.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I hated the seat in my double cab Tacoma. I never changed mine but I hear 3rd gen 4runners are the way to go I hear.

sixstringsteve

3rd gen 4runner seats are close to bolting in, but not quite bolt-in. You'll have to elongate a hole or two, or tweak some brackets. They sit about 1" higher than taco seats and are a lot more supportive.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
By sit one inch higher, do you mean one inch higher off the floor or the backs are an inch taller? If they are an inch higher off the floor that is probably a deal breaker since i'm already half looking at my sun visor as it is

sixstringsteve

higher off the floor. If you modified the seat rails a lot I'll bet you could keep it low, but if you just swap them in, your head will be 1" closer to the ceiling. Even a shorty like me banged his head on the doorframe a lot more with the 4runner seats. But they sure are comfy.

Caleb

I've had a couple different aftermarket seats and can say I really really liked the PRP seats (are they still around?) and I really really disliked my Corbeau seats. IMO, I'd find a good upholsterer and have your seats rebuilt with better foam and recovered. That way you can ensure the height is where you want it and get better support too. I bet you'd end up with a much more comfortable seat that way.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
ModStock recommended a upholsterer to me, I'm going to go get a quote later this week and most likely go that route since I can't afford for the seats to gain any height.

Tonkaman

ModStock recommended a upholsterer to me, I'm going to go get a quote later this week and most likely go that route since I can't afford for the seats to gain any height.

Keep us updated on how much it costs and how you like the end result. I think several of us on here have weighed our options on this topic

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Really? I'm glad I mentioned it on here then. I've always coveted those XRS seats, and keep plotting ways to 'need' them ha ha.

I was VERY disappointed with them, had a set of Baja Ultra fixed back seats in my TJ that were awesome, but their reclining seats leave a lot to be desired. The XRS's were a sad, expensive joke.

Rebuilding the factory seats with better foam and new covers seems like a wise idea.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I think there was a thread a while ago about AllJeep no longer doing business with Courbeau due to them not following through on several deals for customers. That was enough to turn me off of them.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I went and met with Mont at Upholstery West per ModStock, he gave me a general quote of $100 to repair the bottom cushion of the seat. I made an appointment for next week and will report back with the results.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Well seat is done, they got it done in one day to the tune of $80.14. Haven't had much saddle time since getting it back but, the little time I spent in it felt better. I'll update after I spend a few hours in it

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I asked if he could rebuild the whole seat and he said he would need a factory mold to do that. So I believe what they did was shave down the damaged area and glue new stiffer foam on and built it up a bit. I sit level in the seat now and the feeling of falling out the door is gone. I wish I had told them to shave both sides now instead of just the blown out side, because after a couple hours driving around today the new side is more comfortable. Its nothing fancy, its still a poorly designed Tacoma seat, but a definite improvement.