06' M.W.Y.M.I USFS/U4WDA AFC Project Planning Thread

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
2006 Money Where Your Mouth is USFS/U4WDA American Fork Canyon Service Project Planning Thread (way too big for a title... ;))

Its time again, there is plenty to do in the canyon and if we organize it and get a good turnout, we can tackle all of the needed projects in one day.

Should this be a National Public Lands day project (late september) or earlier? Who is committed to making it happen?

Who can get some garbage bags donated? What about a dumpster for the day? Trailer for all the trash?

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Count me in. I was there yesterday, and other than the picnic areas, the place was lookin great! All the way up Mineral, I was only able to snag 3 water bottles and two cans. I think the people using it are finally realizing what we have. Let's hang onto it long as we can!

BCGPER said:
Count me in. I was there yesterday, and other than the picnic areas, the place was lookin great! All the way up Mineral, I was only able to snag 3 water bottles and two cans. I think the people using it are finally realizing what we have. Let's hang onto it long as we can!

Unfortunately, I think it's because a certain group has been up there 6 out of the last 10 days picking up trash.

Sometimes I wonder if people think it's ok to leave trash up there because it always seems to disappear.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Folks, I don't know when... thats what WE need to plan... :D

We could hold off until late September (9/30/06) and do it as part of the Public Lands Day national event... the U4WDA will be sponsoring trail cleanups and projects all over the state (Kanab, Price, SL, Delta, Moab, etc...). We are really hoping to get some media coverage on the whole deal, so this would play nicely.

OR... we could take care of it in late July (all the trails will be dry by then)... August... I'm not picky.

Whay ye say?

mr_blove

ask me if I care
I say the sooner the better that way we can all enjoy it for as long as we can befor the snow begins to fall, also by mending the fences it will hopefully discourage people from going where they are not supposed to and giving the rangers a reason to close the trails. But hey that is just my 2 cents.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Kurt,
if you keep it away from the competition weekends, I can be there.

But I think I will bring a rig though, I wasn't super big on wheelin the Dodge last year. ;)

I kinda have to agree on the sooner than later idea. Nip the problems in the butt to prevent future headaches. It kind of sucks if we put up fences in the fall only to have the snow take them out during the winter...

Jinx said:
It kind of sucks if we put up fences in the fall only to have the snow take them out during the winter...

Is it the snow, or careless riders/drivers?

Unfortunately there's always plenty to do in AF Canyon thanks to all the irresponsible users in the area.

My suggestion (and that's all it is) would be to do the P.Y.M.W.Y.M.I (I hope that's right) in July where we'd fix the FL fences, and do a canyon wide trash clean-up.

Then do the NPLD activity in September where we can fix more fence, block bypasses, and clean-up trash.

Then that group whose name cannot be mentioned here will do their annual end of season clean-up in October.