16" huffy issues

airmanwilliams

So my 4year old has needed a new bike for a long time. He has been riding his toddler bike we got him just before he was 2 and so lastnight we bought a 16" spiderman huffy bike from walmart with training wheels. Issue is that both training wheels are not level with the bike and although they are adjusted all the way down are lopsided so he leans all to one side putting all of his weight on really the right training wheel and the main tire for the most part spins. If he gets going I have just watched him fall numerous times this morning and its irritating me and his mother. I called the store an the bike builder said they are suppose to be lopsided to teach the kid to go straight, I have never seen this on training wheels that I can remember setting up for younger siblings.

Anyone have thoughts on this? I am getting more and more frustrated with this new purchase the more I think about it and thinking of my son falling over and over again when he has the training wheels on and not just the two main wheels.

Attachments

• IMG_20140523_080601.jpg
    IMG_20140523_080601.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 28
That's normal, if they are level he won't learn to ride it as a two wheeler as easy. Out of all my kids (youngest now 12) non of their wheels were level. They'll fall a few times at first but learn to ride quickly.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Training wheels are supposed to be ride off the ground, but looking at his riding position in the photo, it looks like you may need to manually adjust him on where he sits and puts his feet. His feet are decidedly to the right of where they should be, and that is most likely a big reason why he falls to that side even with the training wheels. Notice his feet are shifted to the far right on the pedals, that is going to shift his whole body that way as well.

idahoyj

My kids bikes were the same way. I'm not sure thats the way that it's supposed to be though!
The best thing I did to teach my kids to ride was building a "coaster" bike. I took an older bike and put a wooden dowel in place of the pedal set. They learned how to balance the bike really quickly and as soon as I put them on a pedal bike, they were able to take off.

R

rockdog

Bend em. Seriously, sent it on its side and bend em in. Did this a lot on my kids bikes. Was a couple of years ago. :) ones 32 and the other is 28.:)

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Take off the training wheels and the pedals, and teach him to scoot around with his feet. It's easier for him to learn balance when he doesn't have to worry about pedaling, and then once he's able to coast with his feet up, bring the pedals back and he'll be golden.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Take off the training wheels and the pedals, and teach him to scoot around with his feet. It's easier for him to learn balance when he doesn't have to worry about pedaling, and then once he's able to coast with his feet up, bring the pedals back and he'll be golden.

This^^
No child should have to ride a 16" bike with training wheel..It's boarder line parental neglect ;)

Take the pedals and training wheels off the 12" for him to use as a balance bike. Give it a day or two, and he'll be read for the 16" without training wheels.

D

Deleted member 12904

This^^
No child should have to ride a 16" bike with training wheel..It's boarder line parental neglect ;)

Take the pedals and training wheels off the 12" for him to use as a balance bike. Give it a day or two, and he'll be read for the 16" without training wheels.
My kids went instantly from striders to 16" pedal bikes that they cant even touch with two feet.
[video=youtube_share;rlaFchTb92M]http://youtu.be/rlaFchTb92M[/video]

R

rockdog

Helmets, who needs stinkin helmets! I never had a helmet when I rode bikes as a kid! Hmm, well the roads were all dirt back then I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

RogueJeepr

Here!
Another tip ;
Lower the seat down till he can touch the ground with his feet. Let him push himself around with his feet. Before ya know it he'll be pedaling around quicker than you can say Mtn Dew .

I tried the whole parent-push from behind thing . After a few crashes i did that (^) . He was riding in less than an hour.
Of course he started the "Im tired thing" so I gave him a sip of dew and he was pedaling 10 min later. :eek:. Ok it wasnt really Mtn dew but thats what I told him . Shhhhhhh dont tell .

Last edited: