.17 rifle

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
anyone own one??? i think i want to buy one... i'm curious what those of you who have them think of em... let me know your thoughts about it...

-Jason

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
I have a .17HMR, and a .17Mach2, and I love both of them. I prefer the HMR for the extended range, but the M2 does better than any .22LR. If you go with the HMR, go with a little more powerful scope than you think you need, you'll be glad you did. I pulled the 9X40 off the HMR and put it on the M2, and I'll probably go with something in the 12X range for the HMR.

troutbum

cubi-kill
Coreshot said:
I prefer the HMR for the extended range.
;) 17 rem if you are doing any real long range. The HMR is fun little gun for sure though...the mach 2 is more a solution looking for a problem.

I think the new .20 options are a good compromise 22-250 range and you can still watch the impact through the scope.

I have a .204, flat through 200 and it drops 14" @ 500 yds

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
troutbum said:
I have a .204, flat through 200 and it drops 14" @ 500 yds

I have a .204 also, and it is great for real long stuff. The HMR is a great, cheap-to-shoot, gun for distances out to @200 yds. The Mach2 is an awesome replacement for the .22LR, but that's about it.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
have a marlin rifle and a taurus pistol in .17 hmr. they are both a blast to shoot.

hickey has the ruger lever action one.

Last edited:

notajeep

Just me
not to hijack an old thread...... but I am looking at getting a new gun, but am torn between 22-250, .243,and a .223. Is one any better "all pourpose" round than another?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
notajeep said:
not to hijack an old thread...... but I am looking at getting a new gun, but am torn between 22-250, .243,and a .223. Is one any better "all pourpose" round than another?

i think there are afew things to be considered between those choices... the price of ammo? what you'll be using it for the most? IMO those are three quite different rifles...

me, i'd take the .243, just because out of the 3 you've listed, it's more in the deer dropping range than the other two...

-Jason

notajeep

Just me
Mostly small game and plinking, possible use as a deer rife, but not that likely. Rabbits, coyotes, rockchucks, etc.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
why not look into the original rifle that this thread was about? the .17 HMR will take care of the small game you've listed. the guy that got me looking into this rifle claims his brother took a deer with his .17 HMR... but of course that's heresay... it's a .17 caliber bullet in a shell/casing abit larger than a .22 LR cartrige.

-Jason

Last edited:

notajeep

Just me
I know that it is accurate and FAST..... but does it really have the impact of the larger rounds? It's like shooting a grain of rice..... Really fast rice.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
notajeep said:
I know that it is accurate and FAST..... but does it really have the impact of the larger rounds? It's like shooting a grain of rice..... Really fast rice.

Here's some info...

Mike Schoby of Cabela's Guide said:
What are its limitations?
Everything has trade offs and no one cartridge can do it all; the .17 HMR is no exception. The biggest disadvantage to this cartridge is that it is extremely susceptible to wind. Drift charts indicate that the 17-grain bullet, in a 10 mph cross wind, will drift around three inches at 100 yards and around 15 inches at 200 yards. In a 15-mph gust the bullet will drift 23 inches at 200 yards.

When compared to high velocity centerfire cartridges, this sounds like a lot. However, when compared to it's main competition, the .22WMR, it is a great improvement. At 200 yards the .17 HMR drifts 15 inches less than a .22WMR in a 10-mph cross wind. When speaking of trajectory the .17 MMR also blows the doors off the competition. At 200 yards, it drops 10 inches less than a .22WMR.

Cartridge Tech Specs
Bullet Weight: 17 grain Hornady V-Max Polymer Tip with Boat Tail
Bullet BC: .125
Bullet Velocity: 2550
100-Yard Velocity: 1800 fps
Muzzle Energy: 250 ft-lbs.
100-Yard Retained Energy: 130 ft-lbs.
Cartridge Overall Length: 1.365

I recommend reading thier full review HERE.

Pictured left to right:

*22 K-Hornet
*17 Mach IV
*17 HMR
*22 Long Rifle

Attachments

• 17hmround.jpeg
    17hmround.jpeg
    4.8 KB · Views: 0

Meat_

Banned
With a good solid bullet you *can* dependably take a deer with a 22-250 (such as a Partition or X bullet) but I don't know if anyone is commercially loading those yet so you would have to handload.

The .243 is by FAR the better cartridge (out of what you listed) for deer, you can also get some 55 grain bullets for the .243 that move REAL fast but I don't know if anyone is commercially loading those yet so you would have to handload to get the ultra velocity out of the .243. It used to be that .243 was more readily available than the .22-250 but that isn't so much the case anymore.

.223 is ok for varmints, and cheap to shoot.

Out of what you listed if I were to only own one gun I would choose the .243 hands down.
SAMI said:
why not look into the original rifle that this thread was about? the .17 HMR will take care of the small game you've listed. the guy that got me looking into this rifle claims his brother took a deer with his .17 HMR... but of course that's heresay... it's a .17 caliber bullet in a shell/casing abit larger than a .22 LR cartrige.

-Jason

If he did he broke the law.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
I have the .17 hmr, a 22-250 and a .223. They are all great. I will get a .243 down the road, but I think I going to look into a .308 first :greg:

Meat_

Banned
James K said:

If it was just more punch I was going to suggest looking at the 7mm-08, it's an awesome little cartridge with good bullet selection and since it's built on the .308 case it's inherently accurate. Plus you would get to be different ;) It's nowhere near as cheap to shoot as a .308 if you shoot military stuff, but factory loaded hunting stuff is about sixes.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I've been thinking about getting a varmint gun, but something that could take down a deer or antelope sized animal. I was originally thinking about a 22-250, a friend of mine had one that had a real nice scope, bull barrel & tripod. We went shooting quite often years ago. He was lethal with that thing at far distances. A .243 sounds like a good inbetween gun.

I found a new Remington .243 with a synthetic stock for $430. http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976732178.htm Think that's a good deal? I haven't been involved with guns for a long time.

What do you guys think of Howas?

Last edited:

Meat_

Banned
Greg said:
I found a new Remington .243 with a synthetic stock for $430. http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976732178.htm Think that's a good deal? I haven't been involved with guns for a long time...

They MSRP for $580... I've never looked at a 7600 new so I don't know what they go for in the real world, but that price seems about average. Remember you have to add $25 to that and you have to find a shop that will handle it for you, some do it free, most charge, some charge a lot.