1967 "SS" 396 El Camino - Demoncamino

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I didn't feel like I could pirate @Greg 's name of Hell Camino for this thread and wasn't going to use @Gravy 's term of Mullet Bullet, so the best I could come up with was a Demoncamino. I have been working to acquire this car for a little over 2 years. It has been owned by a friend of mine who got it after his father passed away. He was not in a hurry to sell it and I was not wanting to low ball him, so I waited until I could pay his asking price as well as getting the ok from my wife. His dad was not the original owner of the car, so I do not have a full history on it. Body overall is in good shape with what I would call normal rust. From what I could see from crawling underneath it, the pans did not show any rust.

The reason for the "SS" designation is that Chevy did not produce and SS model of the El Camino in '67. The cars original color was according the the paint code was Nantucket Blue. At some point I think it has had some front end damage and painted white. I am coming to this conclusion since the passenger fender appears to have been red originally. I am also going to assume that they added the SS badging and SS hood at that time. Outside of that, this car is equipped as you would expect an SS to be. It has a 396, 4 speed manual and 12 bolt rear end. Chevy produced 3 different 396 motors at this time. A, 315 hp, 325 hp, and a 375 hp motor. I know that with the harmonic balancer that is on it, I do not have the 375 hp motor, but without looking at the lifters, I do not know whether it is the 315 or 325.

Short term plans for the car are to update the suspension and braking with THIS pro touring kit. I will most likely upgrade the steering box also. I really liked the classic look of the 5 spoke wheels Greg used on the He'El Camino, and will probably go with a classic look. I am thinking an 18" front and 20" rear, but need to figure out what size tire I can fit.

g7Fw.jpg

gdYf.jpg

gghk.jpg

gpm5.jpg

gmW0.jpg

gui1.jpg

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
This looks awesome! I really like the interior.

I would definitely look at doing a rack & pinion conversion if you're planning on driving it like that protouring kit suggests.
I haven't driven an El Camino with one but I have ridden in my friend's Malibu before and after and it was way more precise than the (sometimes) sloppy Saginaw box.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose

I would definitely look at doing a rack & pinion conversion if you're planning on driving it like that protouring kit suggests.
I haven't driven an El Camino with one but I have ridden in my friend's Malibu before and after and it was way more precise than the (sometimes) sloppy Saginaw box.
The steering upgrade in the kit is a quick ratio box not rack and pinion. In the short term I would do the box and if I wanted to go further down the rabbit hole at a later date, then I would look at a rack and pinion upgrade.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

My '66 steering was amazing after swapping in a rebuilt quick ratio steering box. It wasn't expensive and straight forward.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I like that idea. Like I mentioned in my text LS swaps a cool but I think I really want to build up this 396

I agree... being a factory 396 car, that engine needs to stay. A 6 speed manual would be a great upgrade to gain more driveability... with both 5th and 6th being overdrive ratios and 6th is DEEP. The 396 will pull low RPM cruising without a problem and MPG should be pretty decent.

One thing I loved about driving my '66 with the LS was hitting I70 and running it well above the speed limit... passing modern cars in a classic muscle car on the freeway really turns heads! :cool::p

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Finally got her home. My friend that I bought it from works for UP on a 8 on 6 off schedule and his days off have been traveling out of town for his daughter’s softball and sons baseball. I put a new battery in it and gave it a shot of gas in the carb and it fires right up and idled like a kitten purring. For its age it is pretty damn clean. Rust in normal places. Does not appear to be any rust around the front or rear windows and the bed does not have any cancer other than one small area in the tail gate jam.

But as we all know that could change one way it starts to get stripped down.
7DD405FA-CB13-4134-84F4-B8A5D6EEA68A.jpeg4E88CC89-1D8E-4D70-B2B1-B6800389B1DD.jpegD2C95463-BC2D-47D6-BBF2-360E54ACC3F3.jpegB5174A24-E4DD-4A66-BDC6-E2758F345F96.jpeg3C52EB51-B7FF-441F-B8EF-32082D28888A.jpeg8BEBD5E5-CAD5-48B1-921F-A8028D4DB59B.jpeg0A23034C-1A83-48EC-B944-92EEDBC623B4.jpegEBAC036C-2EC3-4B5C-B9C0-0E94299A5D92.jpeg5D141C7A-053F-4448-8775-12B1C01735C5.jpeg

Louise approves
BD06F504-2E61-4C5D-A8FF-B0F0E7929EBB.jpeg

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
The blown fuse was self inflicted. It has a hitch and 4 pin flat light plug. The wires were wrapped through the chain loops on the hitch. When I strapped it down I decided to throw an extra strap on the back and hooked it through that loop and shred the wires causing it to ground out.
BF601CF3-91AB-4284-8C54-3E8B534A6C30.jpeg
Tail and brake lights are working but turn signals and hazards were not. I made a quick run to the auto parts store and grabbed a new flasher. Hazards are working now but still no turn signals. I am guessing there has to be an issue somewhere in the column wiring.