1970's Yamaha Enduro 175

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
My neighbor is selling a 70's era Yamaha Enduro 175. What do y'all think it's worth? It runs (eventually) and is really in pretty good shape.
8fdea4c5328c6cac372bd20ac3438e1a.jpg

Also, what is this little feature for?

0429647c81f285b514235b58bf38763d.jpg

Thanks for the help!

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
My dad had a blue 175 (1975 I think), I believe this one is older than that. To the right person it depends on how deep their wallet is, to the average Joe, maybe $500.

rholbrook

If you dont want it let me know. That I believe is a compression release on the top of the cylinder. I dont know why it would need it. I would love to ride that thing around town.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
If you dont want it let me know. That I believe is a compression release on the top of the cylinder. I dont know why it would need it. I would love to ride that thing around town.

I think it is a compression release too, but have no idea why it would be needed on a 175.

I have to convince my wife I need a motorcycle, so chances of me getting it are 50% or less. What would you be willing to pay for it so I can pass that on to my neighbor?

DAA

I gave one of the blue two stroke 175's away about a month ago. Ran great, but needed new tires. Figured it wasn't worth enough to deal with any headache trying to sell, so I just gave it to someone willing to come get it. But if it had good tires, I might have tried to get $250 for it.

- DAA

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
The compression release was used to slow the motorcycle when descending a steep grade rather than relying totally on the brakes.

Wouldn't you want the compression to hold you back on a steep grade? If you release the compression, the engine would die, or at least spin easier, right?

I have only seen a compression release on chainsaws that are harder to start due to the high compression engines, which led me to think that would side in starting the bike.

rholbrook

Wouldn't you want the compression to hold you back on a steep grade? If you release the compression, the engine would die, or at least spin easier, right?

I have only seen a compression release on chainsaws that are harder to start due to the high compression engines, which led me to think that would side in starting the bike.
What does a compression release(Jake Brake) do on a diesel? Slows them down.

A Jake Brake is not a compression release - it is a type of engine brake, a compression brake (turns engine into a giant compressor by opening the valve and dumping the exhaust at the end of the compression stroke).

The compression release on these old bikes was to help get the engine spinning when starting. You don't use it while it is running and you release it as soon as you get the engine spinning at the bottom of your kick. Anyone who has kick started old, big-bore 2 stroke bike can tell you how they can kick back before you even get it to turn over once.

cajack

I've ridden this same bike equipped with one years ago. (in the 70's) I can tell you down steep hills it did act as a brake. Not sure exactly how or why, but it did work.

cajack

From Wikipedia
From the mid-1960s to the late-1970s, engine compression-releases were also used to supplement rear-wheel braking on many two-stroke engine powered motorcycles, primarily those used off-road or for various types of dirt-track racing, such as motocross and flat-tracking. Since two-stroke engines normally lack the compression braking effect of four-stroke engines when the throttle is shut off, the addition of a compression release brake on two-strokes essentially mimicked the four-stroke compression braking effect. Using throttle-off engine compression for at least some braking on both two-stroke and four stroke motorcycles was especially important during that era, since most motorcycles used drum-brakes, which would wear-out much more quickly than modern disc brakes.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
From Wikipedia
From the mid-1960s to the late-1970s, engine compression-releases were also used to supplement rear-wheel braking on many two-stroke engine powered motorcycles, primarily those used off-road or for various types of dirt-track racing, such as motocross and flat-tracking. Since two-stroke engines normally lack the compression braking effect of four-stroke engines when the throttle is shut off, the addition of a compression release brake on two-strokes essentially mimicked the four-stroke compression braking effect. Using throttle-off engine compression for at least some braking on both two-stroke and four stroke motorcycles was especially important during that era, since most motorcycles used drum-brakes, which would wear-out much more quickly than modern disc brakes.

Good info! Thanks for sharing!