1987 Honda XL600R

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I finally found a bike in a stellar price range at the same time that I had money to spend. I picked this bike up for last week from a guy in St George for next to nothing. I bought it sight unseen because it was turning into a bidding war with some other guys. It sounded solid, looked decent from photos, and the price was hot. The bike runs great with a new battery that I tossed in it a few days ago. I also went through the process to get it titled from having no registration history for the last 12 years. The previous owner was extremely helpful with filling out a few forms to get me set up for the DMV. I have it registered and plated within a week of starting that process, so I'm pleased with that.

I'm sure that I will have lots of questions as I slowly work on this bike, rebuilding and upgrading. I'd love any and all suggestions form seasoned bike guys.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Cool--those are great bikes :cool: I'd recommend keeping the oil and filter changed fairly often. They are known to build a lot of heat as they do not have much for an oil cooler and the radial heads (Radial Four Valve Compression in case you're wondering why that is stamped on the side..) like to eat cam journals if neglected. Also pop off the front sprocket and inspect the counter shaft splines and sprocket for excessive wear. Those are famous for stripping out--kind of a poor design really. If all is well clean it thoroughly and apply green or red loc-tite to the splines (to help 'glue' the sprocket to the shaft) then reinstall the rest of the hardware.

rholbrook

I love the bike. Back in the day we used to get the power steering cooler off of the old Ford cars and mount them between the front fender and the headlight. We taped into an oil line on the motor and would run it through the cooler. Worked great.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I've developed a whine in what sounds like is coming from the speedometer gauge. Anyone dealt with this? Any ideas as to cheap a cheap fix?

I've read on another forum to drill a small hole and shoot some WD40 or other light oil, and I'm curious if anyone here has had similar issues on their bikes.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:

Corban_White

I had the exact same thing from my XT. I took the speedo apart and greased all the gears and put it back together. All quiet for the last year.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Dropped the bike today. Broke the shift lever and tweaked the foot peg a little. I'm not broken, so that's a plus.

I wasn't thinking and took a tight corner on newish super wet blacktop... Went down instantly. I should've avoided the wet surface. I was going slow enough (5mph I'd say) that I stepped off the bike and let it slide; though the shoes that I was wearing have no traction so I ended up slipping and tripping behind the bike. Ended up riding the bike 3 blocks home alright without the clutch lever.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
My bike is in need of maintenance. I can tell that it needs new sprockets and chain. Any recommendations on where or who to purchase from that won't break the bank? Obviously I don't want parts that will fail in a year but I don't need anything race proven either. I've got $200-300 to toss at some maintenance and would love some input.

Chain?
Sprockets?
Carb clean tricks/products?
Ditch knobbies for something more road-worthy...
New speedometer..
New headlight?

Caleb

Take a look at the primary drive chains and sprockets from RMATV. If you are wanting to stick to stock tooth counts, their package deals are an even better deal. I would make sure to get an o-ring (or x-ring) chain, and personally on that bike I'd say stick to steel sprockets. If you want to send me some part numbers, I should be able to save you a few bucks on the primary drive stuff.

If you want to replace/add a speedo, I'd say go with the Trailtech Vapor (or you could do the Voyager if you want to incorporate GPS, but it's a bit more spendy). Again, I can save you a few bucks on the trail tech stuff.

On the light, I really like the Trailtech torch lights. I usually end up putting one of those on my bikes (have for the last two). If you are looking to do some trail riding at night, I'd recommend getting some LEDs on your bike (like the Vision X or the Rigids from RMATV) AND mounting one on your helmet, that way you have light where you look, not just where your bike is pointing.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Take a look at the primary drive chains and sprockets from RMATV. If you are wanting to stick to stock tooth counts, their package deals are an even better deal. I would make sure to get an o-ring (or x-ring) chain, and personally on that bike I'd say stick to steel sprockets. If you want to send me some part numbers, I should be able to save you a few bucks on the primary drive stuff.

If you want to replace/add a speedo, I'd say go with the Trailtech Vapor (or you could do the Voyager if you want to incorporate GPS, but it's a bit more spendy). Again, I can save you a few bucks on the trail tech stuff.

On the light, I really like the Trailtech torch lights. I usually end up putting one of those on my bikes (have for the last two). If you are looking to do some trail riding at night, I'd recommend getting some LEDs on your bike (like the Vision X or the Rigids from RMATV) AND mounting one on your helmet, that way you have light where you look, not just where your bike is pointing.

I'll look around for the needed part numbers and bounce the info your direction. Thanks Caleb.