Jeep 2.0 Emulsion Shocks for my ZJ....

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
The suspension on my ZJ is setup for mostly down travel (rear shock length is 22" at ride height, with about 3" of up travel and 9" down). I prefer it this way for rockcrawling, but find that whenever I'm hauling down dirt roads loaded with gear I bottom out all the time. My shocks are old RS9000's that are pretty much done, so I am in the market for something that can help keep me from bottoming out so badly (and maybe some bumpstops too ;) )

I've been looking at Fox and F.O.A. 2.0 emulsion shocks and I'm kind of leaning towards the FOA's

http://f-o-a.com/shop/index.php?mai..._id=18&zenid=bbe1299882f1fdb2883d450df286bfa8

The 12" shock has a compressed length of 18.3 and 30.3 extended, so at ride height I would have about 3.5-4" of up travel (slightly more than I have now). these also have a 3/4" shaft as opposed to the 5/8" shaft of the Fox, and they are less expensive. Does anyone have experience with FOA shocks?

I guess a better question is, will these shocks give me any better results than what I have now? Am I wasting my money vs. something along the lines of a Bilstein 5100?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
They SHOULD be better, but their main benefit is the ability to revalve them to your needs. Of course, that means you need to be able to know what you need to valve them to, which is the harder part. How do their prices compare to a Bilstein? (I only ask because you know how well the Bils work already)

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
bilstein 5100's or bilstein emulsion? I didn't check bilstein emulsion but the FOA's are $25 cheaper per shock than the FOX.

I know what the valving is on the shocks I've liked previously, so I'm hoping that when I have these built the manufacturer can get somewhere near that.

I don't so much care that I can re-valve them (at least not once I'm happy with how they are setup), I just want something that can take some impact at higher speeds and smooth it out. I'm not asking for miracles, but I have to take small washouts at 10-15 mph that everyone else is taking at 40 mph.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I didn't think Bilstein made an emulsion shock? :confused: I was thinking the 5125 or 5150's....

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
If I remember right, the 5100's are about $90 per shock vs. $125 for the FOA's.

I'm just not sure if the bilsteins will address my problem any better than the rs9000's.

Erik d_lux

Just some food for thought...

Maybe youre asking too much from a shock and 3" of uptravel? How much uptravel do you have when youre in the vehicle and its loaded? I am assuming that 3" is outside, unloaded.

Maybe an option would be to run the same shocks but set up a bumpstop to make it so its not so harsh? I know I could run zero uptravel and it would be cushy but would make my handling really goofy. I run stock ZJ bump stops on my coilover shafts. I think Timbrens would be an option too.

I think if you were to get a shock they would have to be somewhat dialed in. Within that 3" you need them to be firm enough to not bottom but soft enough to not be the problem. I think thats asking a lot from something you dont want to spend a lot of time on tuning.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Ya, maybe I am asking too much. I actually have about 3" of uptravel with me in the vehicle and mostly loaded. Empty and dry (no fuel) I have about 4" or so, and with a full tank, 10 gallons of water, and a cooler for 5 days I have less than 3". they are mounted at an angle, so that gives me a little extra travel to work with.

Maybe I ought to rig up the bumpstops first and then decide what to do with the shocks at that point.

However, if the FOA 2.0 emulsions are a better unit than the bilstein 5125's, then I'm willing to pay the extra $60-70 bucks for them.

utah340six

i got the foa 2 inch coil overs first trip out riped my truss lose at snakes.
just before easter.
called sent them back for repair. no charge.
they sent back 1 new on repaired over night weekend before easter.
great customer service.
next year did have to replace o rings after abuse from me.
all in all loved the price and shocks.
coils and all were about 700.00

reddman

Fabber
In my opinion, the shock isn't the real issue (even though Ranchos blow goats). 3" of uptravel is just to little. Yes you can bandaid it with a overly valved shock, but it's not a fix, merely a mask. I've used the same theory a few times before, and yes, it does keep you off your bumps a little more often, but ride quality will still suffer, just in a different way.

Of course raising the rig or reworking the whole suspension is probably out of the question, but there is one type of shock nobody has mentioned yet that will give you the best improvement available with only a shock change, a bypass shock. I imagine they're not really on the table either due to the added cost, but a bypass would perform vastly better. With proper placement of the bypass tubes, you could have an very effective internal bumpstop (negating the need for air bumps), soft ride in your ride height range, and easy external adjustment. Just a thought.