2 million miles, a cake, and not really a pay cut.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
3 hours ago I passed the 2 million safe miles threshold at work. I’ve spent the last 16 years and 8 months doing everything I can to avoid damaging my employers truck, and it’s been pretty stressful. This is my last week driving a truck for them. I get a cake, a jacket (I think) and nothing else for this milestone except a pat on the back and I guess the bragging rights. It takes about 8 years here to drive a million miles and the next milestone is 3 million, which is when they give you a $10k bonus.

Saturday December 3rd I enter the management ranks here and become a “Fleet Development Facilitator” which is a fancy term for an instructor. It’s a significant pay cut, and a massive hour cut. Instead of being gone 5 days a week and working 14 hour days, I’ll be home every night and working 8 hour days. It’s been 27 years since I’ve had a schedule like that. It’s a salaried position and I retain my full PTO at 36 days per year. It’s also Mon-Friday 8-4. I’ve already signed the paperwork a few weeks ago, but I wanted to hit my 2 million mark before hanging up the keys.

I’ll be celebrating at the RME meet and Greet on December 3rd at Bewilder, so stop in and buy Cody’s beer.

Also, I’ll be available for light tractor/excavation work and light welding services, since I’ll actually have time for that now.

Last edited:

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Congrats! I can't even imagine driving that much. Sounds like a nice transition to the next step

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Great job helping me save money and live better for all these years. Congrats on the new position!

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
This is great. I saw that you had alluded to a work change but didn't know what it was. Thanks for sharing that news here and congratulations on the milestone and move into management. Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy everything you've had to sideline while you've been on the road.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
This lil 700 watt Emerson microwave has saved me many thousands of dollars. I’ve had it for about 12 years in several different trucks and it’s never given me a lick of trouble. The control panel has about a 1/4 of play from all of the vibrations over about 1.5 million miles.

5EF6EE7E-4005-40A4-B4AD-7CF54177D4BD.jpeg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Do you keep track of your own miles or does Walmart track them for you?
Walmart tracks them from the day you start. They used to give you a stack of papers on each annual evaluation where they would go over your cumulative numbers from your first day. They haven’t done it for several years, but one the last ones they did was it after I totaled $1 million in cumulative gross pay.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I just watched my manager delete my name and driver number from our dispatching system and that was pretty gratifying. I turned in my company credit card and uniforms today as well.

I decided to take the rest of the week off and use my remaining PTO, since it will be worth more money this week than next week when my salary kicks in. It’s also supposed to snow today and I’m done driving in that shit.

Last edited:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I took a 35% pay cut when I left my last job and started where I’m at now. I went from 55-65 hours a week to 40-45. I work from home, and have a company truck when I need to run errands. Despite having less play money and more time to spend it, I love it. I’m not sure how sustainable it will be long term, but for zero stress it is a nice change.
Nice job on your accomplishments and your new free time. Enjoy it.