2 Weeks Without Sugar - My Results

UT410

RME's Holistic Healer
Supporting Member
TLDR: Cutting sugar for 2 weeks, lost 4lb in back fat and I don't snore. Haha.

---
I used to be an athlete... and then I used to be nearly 300 lb... and then I had a serious reality check and I took my health seriously.

I did whatever I could to learn and understand how diet could help my situation. That's not an exaggeration, I once tracked down one of the nation's leading doctors in the field of my issue and eventually got 5 minutes of his time. I sent my question (which was about diet) in advance and when we spoke, I kept the conversation to literally 5 minutes on the dot.

Shocked, he said I could reschedule to chat anytime. Hahaha. But what I learned in that 5 minutes was enough to change my course for life.

Recently, during a discussion about covid, I mentioned that even cutting sugar could could result in marked transformation in just 2 weeks.

That inspired me to put my money where my mouth is, get back to being disciplined so I cut added sugar for 2 weeks. I did eat some watermelon and blueberries but I kept track and I was less than 100 grams total for 2 weeks.

I changed nothing else. I ate the same other clean foods and kept my calories to 1840 / day. My workouts, water (I drink a gallon a day), fasting, and sleep or stress or whatever were all the same.

Side note, I try to keep inflammation down with most foods I eat. I can see a difference in bloat and inflammation even with just a little sugar

On the first day, I had my BP checked at a urologist (that's a different story, hahaha) and recorded my weight. I got bloodwork done the previous week but I don't have afters...but that would have been cool to compare.

Before: 118/72, 236.2 lb

After 110/72, 231.8 lb

I took photos daily and this one shows the difference best.

IMG_20210915_074318.jpg

Screw the mental clarity, the 4 lbs shed, improved BP, the snoring which my wife noticed was gone a couple days in, the energy, etc.- I 'm psyched about what my back looks like!

I get a twinge of discomfort when I say this but I believe life is probably better without so much sugar.

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Thanks for sharing. The amount of sugar and snacks I take in each day makes a huge difference in how I feel and how much weight I put on. It’s a rough cycle for me, as the more work I have the more I sit in front of a computer, which is boring and depressing, so I snack. Then I don’t feel awesome, so I work slower, then snack more, then work slower. Next thing I know it’s 2am.. Next morning I wake up to get started again and drink a couple mountain dews to wake up. Then I snack and it starts all over.
on days that I can get a little bit of exercising, and remember not to snack all day I feel great. I can loose or gain a pound a day depending on what snacking I do.
this week I am up about 8 pounds total. The last couple of weeks I was doing really good and was down about 12.
being old and sitting a lot does not mix well with sugar and snacks anymore.

4x4_Welder

I used to drink 6-8 cans of mountain dew every day. I replaced that with a sugar free caffeine additive for water, and after a couple weeks had one again, and almost fell over from the pain. I realized that over those couple weeks my constant gut discomfort went away, and drinking just one dew brought it back full force.
As far as weight, I didn't lose any. Cut out a ton of sugar, and I still keep gaining weight. Spent four hours hiking around the county fair, gained six pounds. I've gained 50lbs since my minimum during chemo and nothing seems to make it go away. It's most likely the meds I'm on, weight gain is a known side effect.

glockman

I hate Jeeps
Nice work Brent! I've followed your journey in IG and it's been cool to see over the last few years.

I got my ass handed to me in April by my mountain biking buddies in Moab. I did a 30 day sugar fast in May. I felt way better and looked as good as a middle aged hair farmer can. I have always been a candy junkie and oddly enough, after the 30 days, I didn't jump back off the wagon. I have slowly lowered myself off. I am a believer in lowering your sugar intake, it makes a noticeable difference. Once you go all in for 30 days, it is easier, at least for me to cut back. I've just started cutting back again this week. No soda and very limited sugar. Desert race season starts back up October 2 and being in shape for that is THE motivating factor for me.

If you don't follow David Goggins on any platform, do it. He is inspiring to me and helps me understand what a pussy I am for whining about small stuff. #stayhard

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I wonder what my sugar intake is. I don't eat any sweets, don't drink soda, some yogurt but no milk, but probably drink a case of beer in a month. Beer has a lot of residual sugar. My problem is way more on the salty/fatty food spectrum.

What types of sugars are the problems? Mono and disaccharides? More dextrinous polysaccharides? I know body builders and cross fitters will use monosacharides like dextrose as a carrier for protein shakes because the body can break it down so easily, so I've always assumed they were less of a problem than other more complex sugars.

UT410

RME's Holistic Healer
Supporting Member
Thanks for sharing. The amount of sugar and snacks I take in each day makes a huge difference in how I feel and how much weight I put on. It’s a rough cycle for me, as the more work I have the more I sit in front of a computer, which is boring and depressing, so I snack. Then I don’t feel awesome, so I work slower, then snack more, then work slower. Next thing I know it’s 2am.. Next morning I wake up to get started again and drink a couple mountain dews to wake up. Then I snack and it starts all over.
on days that I can get a little bit of exercising, and remember not to snack all day I feel great. I can loose or gain a pound a day depending on what snacking I do.
this week I am up about 8 pounds total. The last couple of weeks I was doing really good and was down about 12.
being old and sitting a lot does not mix well with sugar and snacks anymore.

You might be a bit like me where you get bloated easily. There have been days where I eat sh!t and the scale shows a crazy gain. Now, when it happens I get right back to anti-inflammatory foods, water, activity, and I'm back in a day or two.

Sucks though, don't it? I really believe a big part of my problems back when I would yo-yo when I was trying stupid stuff to lose weight when I was fat was not understanding the bloating. It would totally mess with my head and I would derail.

I used to drink 6-8 cans of mountain dew every day. I replaced that with a sugar free caffeine additive for water, and after a couple weeks had one again, and almost fell over from the pain. I realized that over those couple weeks my constant gut discomfort went away, and drinking just one dew brought it back full force.
As far as weight, I didn't lose any. Cut out a ton of sugar, and I still keep gaining weight. Spent four hours hiking around the county fair, gained six pounds. I've gained 50lbs since my minimum during chemo and nothing seems to make it go away. It's most likely the meds I'm on, weight gain is a known side effect.

Man, meds are a necessary nuisance. They help you and kick your ass at the same time. Will you be on them indefinitely?

I have a weird story about weight gain that happened, last year. 25lb gained in less than 2 months and I never ate any junk. I got more militant, actually.

Turns out that I had stripped my body of minerals and my body was haywire. Everything turned to fat or didn't even digest. I thought I was going to die. I got a hair and blood analysis at this little place in Provo/Orem. I was the worst case the woman had ever seen... haha.

There are some really smart folks out there who deal with best diet practices for situations like that with meds. Might be worth looking into because food is helpful to healing.

But man, I'm just glad you're alive! Cancer sucks, and as you well know, cancer loves sugar.

Nice work Brent! I've followed your journey in IG and it's been cool to see over the last few years.

I got my ass handed to me in April by my mountain biking buddies in Moab. I did a 30 day sugar fast in May. I felt way better and looked as good as a middle aged hair farmer can. I have always been a candy junkie and oddly enough, after the 30 days, I didn't jump back off the wagon. I have slowly lowered myself off. I am a believer in lowering your sugar intake, it makes a noticeable difference. Once you go all in for 30 days, it is easier, at least for me to cut back. I've just started cutting back again this week. No soda and very limited sugar. Desert race season starts back up October 2 and being in shape for that is THE motivating factor for me.

If you don't follow David Goggins on any platform, do it. He is inspiring to me and helps me understand what a pussy I am for whining about small stuff. #stayhard

Thanks man. I go back and forth on getting back to social.

I agree, it's easier to take a challenge like being sugar free after the last few years. But, also, it was bugging me not to do it because I know it's possible. I'm going to really dive deep the rest of the year to see what's possible.

And, thanks again for the kind words. I appreciate it.

And, Goggins rules, nobody drops a more meaningful mother-effer than him. His book rules, especially the audio book.

UT410

RME's Holistic Healer
Supporting Member
I wonder what my sugar intake is. I don't eat any sweets, don't drink soda, some yogurt but no milk, but probably drink a case of beer in a month. Beer has a lot of residual sugar. My problem is way more on the salty/fatty food spectrum.

What types of sugars are the problems? Mono and disaccharides? More dextrinous polysaccharides? I know body builders and cross fitters will use monosacharides like dextrose as a carrier for protein shakes because the body can break it down so easily, so I've always assumed they were less of a problem than other more complex sugars.

Bodybuilders can "play around" because their body compositions are so different than the average 25-80% bodyfat American. Also, my assumption is that those folks you're referring to measure and understand (at a far higher level) the differences.

And also, Tren.

There's so much deception and horseshit in the fitness and supplement industry, as well as Hollywood and influencers. Tren is the drug of choice and then they tout the stuff they want to pedal based on the drug's results.

But what sugars are best between what you mention, I have no clue. I worked out insanely for a year+, shed a crazy amount of fat and put on like 4lb of muscle and the folks at the IHC Live Well Center were amazed. I was too - I only at plants.

I avoid HFCS - 100%.

I don't juice because the body cannot tell between fresh squeezed OJ and a sugary drink, it treats them the same. But I eat fruit without worry. If it's added sugar, I am picky.

But, I do all that because I want longevity even though I sometimes forget that. So, I don't know all that much about bodybuilding.

UT410

RME's Holistic Healer
Supporting Member
All in all, I wanted to share because sugar is a drug, it's highly addictive whenever we're on it. It's just not good for us. Although it's damn delicious.

We feel like shit without realizing it and 2 weeks isn't that hard of a challenge to see some results and it's a great lead-in to getting healthy.

SoopaHick

Living in the Shadow of My Father
Tell me about all the "Fake Sugars." Since you've done a hell of a lot more research.
Obviously aspartame is horrible for you, and HFCS I've personally felt the effects of how bad it is. But what about all thother replacements companies sell?

Stevia, Sucralose, Etc?

My wife works for a company that focuses on Keto diets and they are massive fans of Sucralose and since then I've been tried to shy more and more from sugary drinks (my addiction) and try and get the ones that run Sucralose instead.

I used to be an avid drinker of soda, but rarely touch it anymore because of the HFCS that was killing me. But I've replaced it with energy drinks.

I'm one of those crazy people that might become homicidal if I can only drink water.

glockman

I hate Jeeps
All in all, I wanted to share because sugar is a drug, it's highly addictive whenever we're on it. It's just not good for us. Although it's damn delicious.

We feel like shit without realizing it and 2 weeks isn't that hard of a challenge to see some results and it's a great lead-in to getting healthy.
Sugar is definitely a drug. Quitting it will cement that if you have any doubts. I have been considering quitting caffeine for a month which would be a big deal to me. I drink WAY too much coffee as my way of avoiding soda. Kinda the same thing as what SoopaHick is doing with energy drinks. I have rationalized that too much coffee is better than soda.

SoopaHick

Sugar is definitely a drug. Quitting it will cement that if you have any doubts. I have been considering quitting caffeine for a month which would be a big deal to me. I drink WAY too much coffee as my way of avoiding soda. Kinda the same thing as what SoopaHick is doing with energy drinks. I have rationalized that too much coffee is better than soda.
I did a "clean food" diet with my wife once that for a month we could basically only eat meats and veggies and only drink water. After about 4 weeks my body felt great but I was so pissed off and frustrated all the time from being so restricted on what I could drink that she basically told me to start cheating on the diet because she was sick of dealing with me. 😬

I could do the food thing but man I'll drink anything but water if I have the chance.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I avoid HFCS - 100%.
And anything with soy/soy bean oil. There's a reason the term "soyboy" is a thing. That shit turns you into a girl.

If you avoid those two things, you'll notice a huge difference in mental clarity as well.
HFCS is now just labeled as "corn syrup". They were hoping by not including "high fructose" that nobody would notice.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Tell me about all the "Fake Sugars." Since you've done a hell of a lot more research.
Obviously aspartame is horrible for you, and HFCS I've personally felt the effects of how bad it is. But what about all thother replacements companies sell?

Stevia, Sucralose, Etc?

My wife works for a company that focuses on Keto diets and they are massive fans of Sucralose and since then I've been tried to shy more and more from sugary drinks (my addiction) and try and get the ones that run Sucralose instead.

I used to be an avid drinker of soda, but rarely touch it anymore because of the HFCS that was killing me. But I've replaced it with energy drinks.

I'm one of those crazy people that might become homicidal if I can only drink water.
Here's the thing with artificial sweeteners - they might actually be worse than real sugar. They can fake your body out and make you dump insulin as if you'd just ingested actual sugar, which puts your body into "store fat" mode instead of "burn fat" mode, then your energy levels drop and you gain weight. I don't have a way to measure my blood insulin directly but I do have a ketone/glucose meter and I've watched my blood sugars crash and my ketone levels drop just from drinking an artificially sweetened soda.

SoopaHick

Here's the thing with artificial sweeteners - they might actually be worse than real sugar. They can fake your body out and make you dump insulin as if you'd just ingested actual sugar, which puts your body into "store fat" mode instead of "burn fat" mode, then your energy levels drop and you gain weight. I don't have a way to measure my blood insulin directly but I do have a ketone/glucose meter and I've watched my blood sugars crash and my ketone levels drop just from drinking an artificially sweetened soda.
So you're saying us "water haters" are screwed?

Then what's the deal with Sucralose? The Keto Cultists love it.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
So you're saying us "water haters" are screwed?

Then what's the deal with Sucralose? The Keto Cultists love it.
Keto cultists do a lot of weird things without understanding the science of their diet. My favorite are the ones that supplement with ketones and then get all excited when they see extra ketones on their pee sticks.

But in terms of being screwed... meh. If you're at a healthy weight and getting good nutrition, I wouldn't stress over it. I'd probably lean towards naturally sweetened drinks as opposed to artificially, but you do you.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I should drink more water. I'm usually running around with my hair on fire most of day and forget to drink water

Gary T

Brent, years ago I read a book “sugar blues” very interesting. Not surprised with your results after reducing sugar intake. Congratulations.

SnwMnkys

Theres a few good videos on YT of people doing blood sugar testing before and after taking Sugar free sweeteners. Erythritol seems to be the favorite and had little to no effect on blood sugar levels.

Last edited:

4x4_Welder

I've been wondering on the artificial sweetener thing, as the water additive I've been using has aspartame. It's hard to find a real unbiased report on it, though, since they get so buried by sensationalized and editorialized articles.
I'm half tempted to just go back to black coffee like I used to drink.