~20 years of contact lenses, new glasses today

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Holy crap, I feel like I'm drugs. Is this normal? So much distortion and nausea. :rofl:

Computer screens are hard to look at, it's all curved. This might be a deal breaker, but man I need a break from contacts.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
When I wore glasses it was like that every time I got a new pair. Usually lasts about a day then you adjust/get used to it. Lasik was a great investment. :D

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
When I wore glasses it was like that every time I got a new pair. Usually lasts about a day then you adjust/get used to it. Lasik was a great investment. :D

I'm still scared of the "lasers in the eyeball thing". :D

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I had to wear glasses for 3 months before I was able to get lasik (best thing I ever did), and my thick prescription made me nauseous at first too. I got used to it, but I had to switch to a different frame with smaller lenses. Since the larger the surface area of the lens, the more of the distorted curve I had. With the smaller/narrower lenses it wasn't too bad.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I had to wear glasses for 3 months before I was able to get lasik (best thing I ever did), and my thick prescription made me nauseous at first too. I got used to it, but I had to switch to a different frame with smaller lenses. Since the larger the surface area of the lens, the more of the distorted curve I had. With the smaller/narrower lenses it wasn't too bad.

same way, my eyes wouldn't or couldn't adjust to the larger lenses, also I couldn't get used to the polycarbonate distortion so I had to get the more expensive plastic. my eyes became contract lense intolerant after twenty so years. I guess its pretty common. any time I would put then in my corneas would swell. had to quit all together.

spencevans

Overlander
I had my laser surgery a year ago this month after wearing contacts for about 18 years. I had the custom lasik and it was the best $2000 I ever spent. I can go out in sub zero temps, walk around in sandstorms, swim and and rub my eyes without any worries. I love it.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Lasik was a great investment. :D

I was able to get lasik (best thing I ever did)

I had the custom lasik and it was the best $2000 I ever spent.

This, this and this. I actually choose to have PRK rather than lasik due to my corneas being a little thin (even though Doctor Hoopes said they were sufficiently thick for safe lasik results). My only regret is that I didn't do it years sooner. I am still in awe about how, for example, I can sit here at my desk at work, look out the window, and clearly see individual houses on top of Traverse Mountain. (For the record, each eye now sees 20/20 independently and I can see 20/15 with both eyes.)

To any RMEers who are considering eye surgery, I cannot recommend it highly enough. Go to Hoopes and get their free (and amazingly thorough) eye exam to see if you might be a candidate.

Last edited:

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Don't post the the normal pictures you send to dudes over the internet either shane

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Another for LASIK being the best thing EVER! Changed my life, like Dempsy said... only regret is wishing I would have done it sooner.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
THIS POST IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS!!!!

Post up Zog, lets see the new you!!

Don't post the the normal pictures you send to dudes over the internet either shane

GTGNEGk.jpg

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I have worn glasses since 18 and had cataract surgery at 77. Now have tri-focal lens. Just seems normal to wear glasses. Can Lasik surgery cure astigmatism? Bottom line, you will get used to them.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I actually miss my glasses. I liked the ability to tune your vision to how you like it. plus I didn't have to put eye drops in every half hour for the rest of my life. Probably one of the few out there that lasik wasn't the best decision I ever made , in fact I regret having it done.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I have worn glasses since 18 and had cataract surgery at 77. Now have tri-focal lens. Just seems normal to wear glasses. Can Lasik surgery cure astigmatism? Bottom line, you will get used to them.

Yes they can take care of astigmatism also. I had worn glasses for about 25 years before I got Lasik, I think it took me 6 months before I stopped reaching for my glasses when I woke up.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I'm waiting for the LASIK deal to reach it's maximum effectiveness before I go down that road. It may already be there I suppose.

Contacts never focus for me, all electronics look fuzzy. Glasses hurt my nose and my head above my ears, it's lame.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Yes they can take care of astigmatism also. I had worn glasses for about 25 years before I got Lasik, I think it took me 6 months before I stopped reaching for my glasses when I woke up.

Sometimes I forget to put them on when I am doing something that is all at a distance.