2014 Proposed OSRC Rules Including UTVs

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
Looks good, 2 things which I noticed. I would use either UTV or SXS, in places you use them both. Also, didn't we vote to allow up to a 42" tire in the Legends and Pro-Mod classes?

I think the UTV class is a great idea, and hope it will bring more competitors to the event.

Thanks for all you do Craig!

Craig S

Commando
Thanks for looking the rules over Dave. I know that we talked about having 42" tires in Legend and this is the time to bring that up. I would like to hear from anybody who is opposed to having 42" tires in the Legend or Pro Mod class. I will review the SXS and UTV terminology.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
i personally dont have a problem with legends or promod running 42 inch tires, there is more chance of breaking with a larger tire but more ground clearance so to me its a trade off

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Am I reading this to mean that we can't run the 4x4 in the rock crawl and the sxs in the rock race like last year?

Were your scores combined? I'm reading it as you can't compete in Rig X for rock-crawl and Rig Y for the race and have the points combined in the overall score competition, same rig for scoring purposes.

Craig S

Commando
Were your scores combined? I'm reading it as you can't compete in Rig X for rock-crawl and Rig Y for the race and have the points combined in the overall score competition, same rig for scoring purposes.

Kurt has this correct. Use the same rig for both events to compete for the overall event winner. Two vehicles may be used in these events, but not for the overall win. Here is an example; Team A uses an 800 RZR for the rock crawl portion and then switches to an RZR 900 for the rock race portion. Team A would be required to use either the 800 or the 900 for both events to compete for the overall win. Team A could still use both machines and capture a win in the rock crawl or rock race separately. I believe that this will answer Chris's question also.

maveric

Crawler Collecter
This answers my question. We will probably be running both this year again, but I'm not gunning for the overall this year. I just know that my crawler is NOT capable (nor built) for go-fast. Yet....

Creampuff

I'd like to see the street stock class have the same tire size options as the JK class. I run a 38" tire on my YJ and would much rather take a point penalty for a larger tire then try to find a loaner set of 37" tires to stay in the stock class.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I think a 37" tire is big enough for the stock class considering most people in that class are running 35s...... if you want to run 38s step up to the legends class, Dont be scared......

Creampuff

I think a 37" tire is big enough for the stock class considering most people in that class are running 35s...... if you want to run 38s step up to the legends class, Dont be scared......
Not scared. Just still learning and building my rig. I don't have a full cage or enough body armor to compete in the next class up. It's street legal and could easily serve as a daily driver, same as the JK class. JK's are allowed up to a 40" tire with a point penalty and run the same line as the stock class. I'm just saying keep it easy and have the same tire options for both classes. Do you think having a 1" larger tire will really give me that much of an advantage if I am willing to take a point penalty?

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Not scared. Just still learning and building my rig. I don't have a full cage or enough body armor to compete in the next class up. It's street legal and could easily serve as a daily driver, same as the JK class. JK's are allowed up to a 40" tire with a point penalty and run the same line as the stock class. I'm just saying keep it easy and have the same tire options for both classes. Do you think having a 1" larger tire will really give me that much of an advantage if I am willing to take a point penalty?

It may not give you an advantage over the guy running a 37, but the rest of the class running 35s have alot to make up. If you are allowed to run 38s then whats the difference in a 39 or 40? You have to draw the line somewhere and I think 37" tire is the perfect place to draw that line in the Street/ Stock class

iamsparticus

I actually agree with cream puff on this, the goal is to get more people out to compete, especially the stock class. The old school rock crawl is designed to attract people to the sport that have never done it, and nothing keeps people from doing the event more than having to find a set of 37's just for the event. If it were a cage problem or seat belts or any safety issue id say no you need to change that. But I think in the stock class only, a tire size buffer zone would be very favorable to getting more people out there. Besides I competed three years with 35's, 1 in stock and 2 in legends, the guys running bigger tires weren't doing better than me because they had bigger tires, they do better because they are great drivers and have a well built rig. Anyway that's my two cents

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!

I actually agree with cream puff on this, the goal is to get more people out to compete, especially the stock class. The old school rock crawl is designed to attract people to the sport that have never done it, and nothing keeps people from doing the event more than having to find a set of 37's just for the event. If it were a cage problem or seat belts or any safety issue id say no you need to change that. But I think in the stock class only, a tire size buffer zone would be very favorable to getting more people out there. Besides I competed three years with 35's, 1 in stock and 2 in legends, the guys running bigger tires weren't doing better than me because they had bigger tires, they do better because they are great drivers and have a well built rig. Anyway that's my two cents
I agree with both of these guys. My first year competing I had a 39.5" tire, everything else on my Jeep would've qualified me for stock class, except my tire size. So I did what I could and competed in the Legends class. And I got my ass handed to me!

A stock wheelbase CJ/YJ/TJ has no reasonable chance competing in the Legends class. Wheelbase makes a much bigger difference than tire size. While you may gain an inch or so ground clearance with a bigger tire, your limiting factor is still your 94" wheelbase trying to do some of the same climbs which Craig puts in the Legends class. Especially when you're competing with people with the 110" or longer wheelbases!

I see no reason why Stock class shouldn't have the same 40" tire size as the JK class.

Team1k

37s should be max. the name of the class is street stock right? What do i see on the street, 33s, 35's, and an occasional 37. If we are trying to appeal to the largest group of people we should keep the tire sizes realistic for whats on the street and not scare away new competitors. A newbie on 33's isnt going to want to compete against someone on 40s.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Is there a dana30 unibody class? ;) I'd love to come down there and wheel but I'd hate to be in anything but street stock class just because my tags are running out and I'm not renewing it. I skimmed the rules and other than that I'm not sure I see any other issues on my rig

iamsparticus

37s should be max. the name of the class is street stock right? What do i see on the street, 33s, 35's, and an occasional 37. If we are trying to appeal to the largest group of people we should keep the tire sizes realistic for whats on the street and not scare away new competitors. A newbie on 33's isnt going to want to compete against someone on 40s.

this is not a problem, I have customers on 39's on the street, and its not based on what most street people run its a crawl comp, a lot of stock classers last year were running stickies that are not DOT legal but they are great for comps. wheelbase will still be a huge limiting factor as well as having to keep the body, I don't think anyone is going to have 40's on a stock rig, but even is they did trying to stuff 40's on a rig that meets all the other wheelbase and body and suspension requirements they would be at a disadvantage