2016 Utah RV Show

sixstringsteve

We had a fun time. Our favorite trailer was the Montana Front Kitchen 5th wheel. Amazing innovation there. Here's an overview of our favorite trailers.

[video=youtube;Vo1rndvoONk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo1rndvoONk[/video]

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Most of your comments were tuned to the full time crowd but if you were like a lot of us on here that get out +/- a dozen times a year with 3-5 people and a budget what direction do you think you'd go?

Another question. Do people that weekend it with a trailer actually use the bathrooms? My parents really only go up around trial lake but I don't know that they have ever used the toilet. The shower isn't really big enough for normal sized people either but even for trailers that are bigger. I guess the obvious answer is that it depends on where you are camping but if you were at a CG and there was a pit toilet 50 yards away would you use the trailer toilet or make your kid walk down the way?

sixstringsteve

Most of your comments were tuned to the full time crowd but if you were like a lot of us on here that get out +/- a dozen times a year with 3-5 people and a budget what direction do you think you'd go?

Yeah, trailers/RVs really only appeal to me as a house (and most don't even appeal as a house). Personally, I'd have a tough time paying $14-22k for something that gets used a handful of times a year. I'd get a solid rei tent and good sleeping bags and pads instead.

If I had to pick something there for weekend warriors, an rpod, palomini, starcraft, or pop up trailer would be my choice. Whatever is cheapest and smallest. Now, if I were going to be spending 3-5 days in there, I'd want something bigger like the minnie winnie 21 footer. The toy haulers are pretty cool too. The best way is to go to dealers and RV shows to see what you like in person. If you can't do that, hopefully the video gives people an idea of what's available out there.

Another question. Do people that weekend it with a trailer actually use the bathrooms? My parents really only go up around trial lake but I don't know that they have ever used the toilet. The shower isn't really big enough for normal sized people either but even for trailers that are bigger. I guess the obvious answer is that it depends on where you are camping but if you were at a CG and there was a pit toilet 50 yards away would you use the trailer toilet or make your kid walk down the way?

I'm with you. For a weekend trip I'd be fine without a shower, sink, toilet, or even hard sided walls.

I think a lot of people can't get their spouses or kids out with them unless there is a shower, flushing toilet, tv, or a place to do your makeup. I know a few women who refuse to use pit toilets. If I were married to a woman like that, and my only way to camp as a family would be with a trailer, I'd have one in a heartbeat. I'd want something small, light, cheap, and easy to hit the ground running the second I need it. I wouldn't want to have to load up for 2+ hours for every trip.

Now I have a huge trailer, but the thought of packing up the airstream and heading out for a 1-2 night trip just sounds miserable to me. I don't imagine myself moving more than once every few weeks because it's a bit of an ordeal to hitch it up, secure everything, and tow that giant twinkie to its next location. Just like a trail rig, if a trailer can't be quick and easy to deploy and hit the ground running, it won't get used much. Whichever trailer makes it easiest to hitch up and hit the road would be money well spent in my opinion.

Last edited:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
To me it all boils down to how much creature comforts you want. When it comes to these RV's, there is very little need beyond a place to sleep and cook. I would have a hard time justifying the cost of the Cyclone I purchased 3 years ago if it were not for the fact that we spend about 30 weekends a year in it. This year it was winterized for a grand total of just over 2 months. I winterized right after Thanksgiving and just used it for the first time this year Valentines weekend. The other thing I found with RV's is that it is nearly impossible to find one that has everything you want. Even with something that costs 50K+ you will always find yourself making concessions of features.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
We use the toilet on every trip. Even a 1 nighter. It takes 10 min to dump, and takes hours of stress and worry out of dealing with potty issues for wife and kids.

Cascadia

Undecided
We use our bathroom in our fifth wheel every time we go out. Even if there was a bathroom 10' away from our camper we would still use ours instead. Cleaning it out takes 5-10 minutes. We just built our house last summer and I put in a sewer clean out with a hose from our main line so our pressure isn't reduced much. We get out about 15 weekends and 2 5 day weeks a year. Hope to get out 20 + times this year.

I'm also probably going to list it for sale tonight or tomorrow. Our daughter is due for heart surgery March 17 and then cleft lip/pallet surgery 6 weeks later. So we can't get out til June as a family. Might as well let someone else enjoy it and get a little bit bigger one when the time comes. Ours now is 35' Voltage v3005 with a 10' separated garage. Would like a 12' garage next time and a bunk inside.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
We use our bathroom in our fifth wheel every time we go out. Even if there was a bathroom 10' away from our camper we would still use ours instead. Cleaning it out takes 5-10 minutes. We just built our house last summer and I put in a sewer clean out with a hose from our main line so our pressure isn't reduced much. We get out about 15 weekends and 2 5 day weeks a year. Hope to get out 20 + times this year.

I'm also probably going to list it for sale tonight or tomorrow. Our daughter is due for heart surgery March 17 and then cleft lip/pallet surgery 6 weeks later. So we can't get out til June as a family. Might as well let someone else enjoy it and get a little bit bigger one when the time comes. Ours now is 35' Voltage v3005 with a 10' separated garage. Would like a 12' garage next time and a bunk inside.

Sounds like you need a Cyclone 4000. My wife has one she would sell you since she saw a new 2017 floor plan she likes.

Cascadia

Undecided
Ha. That's true. I need to make my way up there to figure out that foundation. Maybe if I build your garage I can afford a new trailer. ;)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The only time I would avoid using my toilet in my rv is if I were traveling thru very low temperature areas, just for the freezing aspect. Once at my destination, I would resume use.

I've had some RV's that were a pain to dump, but most have been quite easy/quick.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I REALLY miss my trailer. Left it pretty much loaded and restocked after use (washed the "trailer clothes" and put them back, restocked any canned or dry goods we used). We could be hooked up and on our way to the store for a few perishables in under 15 minutes. Takes me much longer now and I don't have a thermostat to set so I can sleep "normal" :D