3xxish Enduros

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
As not to detract DS thread any further. I was looking at orange bikes and was thinking maybe the the 350 XW-F was the right bike to start looking at.

Then I had an honest realization about my skill level and the technicality I'll likely be riding and how it would be hard to justify a 10k+ bike.

Sooooooo. Thinking maybe a KLX300R is more inline with my needs/wants.

Wondering if any of you 2 wheel guru's had an opinion on them.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I’m no guru, but if there’s any consideration for resale, the orange 350 (or the other KTM owned equivalents) would be the better choice. Occasionally, Kawasaki will discount their bikes to the point where it would make the price for that 300 hard to pass up, especially if it’ll still meet your needs.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I’m no guru, but if there’s any consideration for resale, the orange 350 (or the other KTM owned equivalents) would be the better choice. Occasionally, Kawasaki will discount their bikes to the point where it would make the price for that 300 hard to pass up, especially if it’ll still meet your needs.
I know it’s also a testament to your argument. But you can pick up a brand new 2023 for less than 5k right now.

Even if I took a bath on it after a few years and sold it for 3k. Is a $2000 loss less than what you could sell a couple year old KTM for?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I ran across a group of guys riding Honda 300 Rallys (one guy on a KTM) up by Fish lake I guess they started somewhere in back east (South Carolina?) and were going to end in Oregon using mostly dirt roads. I think they said they were already out 2 or 3 weeks. Looked like a great adventure.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I rode hobble creek single track with a dude on a klr300 a couple weeks ago. He did fine on it. It's probably a good bike to get your feet wet with again and see if you are going to ride much. However, that bike will quickly be the limiting factor of your riding progress.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
If you're wanting to put a plate on it, both are a fine choice. A 350xwf is a lot of bike, they will go 100mph stone stock. It's a great bike but definitely a premium price.
And yes you'll lose less exactly like you think.

Bikes are SO much better than a few years ago. Even our klx230r has 6 gears and perfect fuel injection.
I just built a used FC250 for my wife and it's pretty amazing.

02SE

I hope you didn't take my 'social influencer' joke to heart. Your comments on the DS thread are just fine.

As for the KLX300. I was looking at them yesterday while getting tires for one of my streetbikes. If you are 280 lbs as @Rot Box stated, new higher-rate springs will probably be needed for anything. The Japanese seem to think everyone is 150 lbs.

I know a guy who has a '23 KLX300, he likes it as a street legal bike that can ride trails. he is probably 180 lbs.

I personally have not ridden one.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I hope you didn't take my 'social influencer' joke to heart. Your comments on the DS thread are just fine.

As for the KLX300. I was looking at them yesterday while getting tires for one of my streetbikes. If you are 280 lbs as @Rot Box stated, new higher-rate springs will probably be needed for anything. The Japanese seem to think everyone is 150 lbs.

I know a guy who has a '23 KLX300, he likes it as a street legal bike that can ride trails. he is probably 180 lbs.

I personally have not ridden one.
Not at all, just figured maybe this discussion was worthy of its own thread.

Also to be clear I’m specifically looking at the KLX300R not the 300. Has different suspension components

I’m a fat bastard so I think a 250 is out of the question. My 450 was a handful for me in my youth, I’m sure a 450 would kick my ass now.

But @Rot Box was talking about the bike weight not my weight 😂

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Everyone of the desert guys Stratton, Brian and I race with got faster when they switched from 300 2t to 350 4 strokes. My son has a 2018 ex model and it's fun.

I've long said, "if I only raced I'd buy a 350, but since I ride everything, I own a 300."

My requirements are quite unlike most other people's.
A 350 4t is faster (top speed) no doubt. This is partly because while a 300 may spin up to 9200rpm; a 350 will willingly turn 14500rpm.
Stone stock my '23 will do about 76mph, a 350 will do over 100mph.
The new bikes actually share the 6 speed gearbox from Pankl (the F1 supplier).

On the flip side: they're more costly to modify and more expensive to maintain than a 300 2T for the number of hours I do per year. I'd have to be like Tyson and buy a new one every 1.5 years instead of every 4.
A 300 is just so much better at going slow in hard terrain and the engine mod/ maintenance costs are comparitively fractional.

Just as an FYI the new XWF is kindof a combo between the old XCW and EXC.

@TRD270 I'd personally get an FE350.
Linkage (vs pds rear suspension on the XCW/XWF), lights (makes it easy to street legal) but not all corked up like the FEs /EXC models.

02SE

I just figured you tall guys hide weight better than us battle gnomes. :rofl:

Well, I'm like 270, So having never met @TRD270 , I just assumed that maybe the '270' in his name was his weight...

A pic from the Salt Flats. I'm the guy in the blue t-shirt and Suzuki ball cap.

bonneville.JPG

The TurboBusa with no bodywork, went 238 mph.

The shorter guy in the middle of the pic set the record in that class. He committed suicide back in April. I'm still finding myself being mostly angry about that.

Smart guy, good friend, lots to live for. I don't understand...

https://www.eernissefuneralhome.com/obituaries/Troy-W-Stuart?obId=31185354#/obituaryInfo

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Mostly angry is right! Sorry about your loss. I'm still mostly angry about those types of things that happened 25+ years ago so I assume the anger doesn't really leave?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Timely, but my brother who I am mad at for the above stated reason had a WR250F. I trail rode it a bit with him last year when he bought it and it is an amazing bike. I am just as fast on it as my 300 2T. You might consider one of them. Lights are already there, just needs a street legal kit. The stock tanks are a bit small however.