4l60e transmission shifter gear selector rusted

mdbs14

Doing an LS swap on my jeep tj and came to find out that the transmission shifter lever is rotted. Will this cause issues when I am ready to install a shifter for my build. How to repair that?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240718_063709_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240718_063709_Gallery.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20240718_063524_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240718_063524_Gallery.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 14

The_Lobbster

The range sensor selector shaft does look pretty rough from the 1/4" you can see below the nut. The cable bracket itself just looks a little rusty, could be cleaned up with a wire wheel and some spray paint. The selector shaft can be replaced without a full rebuild, but you still have to pull the pan.

If it were me, I'd hit it with a wire wheel, and some spray paint, and call it a day.

mdbs14

The range sensor selector shaft does look pretty rough from the 1/4" you can see below the nut. The cable bracket itself just looks a little rusty, could be cleaned up with a wire wheel and some spray paint. The selector shaft can be replaced without a full rebuild, but you still have to pull the pan.

If it were me, I'd hit it with a wire wheel, and some spray paint, and call it a day.
Yes the shaft doesn't look too good, should I try to remove that black select plug thats on the shaft to clean it or should i just leave it alone? looks like that shaft size is reduced due to rust.

The_Lobbster

Yes the shaft doesn't look too good, should I try to remove that black select plug thats on the shaft to clean it or should i just leave it alone? looks like that shaft size is reduced due to rust.
You can, however I bet you'll twist that shaft right off, and you'll for sure need to replace it then. However, by the same token, now would be the easiest time to deal with that before you have the transmission actually in the jeep. There is quite a few videos on youtube that show how to replace the selector shaft. I recommend that if you go that route, you also do a filter replacement, and corvette servo upgrade at the same time.

mdbs14

You can, however I bet you'll twist that shaft right off, and you'll for sure need to replace it then. However, by the same token, now would be the easiest time to deal with that before you have the transmission actually in the jeep. There is quite a few videos on youtube that show how to replace the selector shaft. I recommend that if you go that route, you also do a filter replacement, and corvette servo upgrade at the same time.
The transmission is on. I could just spray it, and pray it dont brake anytime soon. I am more concern with needing to remove that rear shifter cable bracket when I install the new shifter for the swap. Those bolts are gone gone

Attachments

• 20240714_183016.jpg
    20240714_183016.jpg
    578.4 KB · Views: 8