5 1/2 inch floppy

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
My wife came across some family history on a 5 1/2 floppy formatted PC. Does anyone have a drive still set up that could read this and stick it on a thumb drive for us?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
family history is cool.

Yah. We went digging through some boxes of stuff we hadn't looked at yet, I found the property where my great-great-grandfather built his homestead when my family first came from Tennessee to Oregon. I know exactly where it's at, I've driven past it several times without knowing. Next time I go back I'm going to see if I can contact the current property owners and get permission to go walk around.

And yeah, 5 1/4, durr. I never did get 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 straight.

5 1/4. Wow. Any computer that runs that won't have a USB in it. You will have to find a drive and put in in a more modern computer.

I'm not super smart about these things, will a modern motherboard talk to an old floppy drive?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
The issue is getting the right connectors so that you can plug in the floppy drive to the modern motherboard.

I found a few floppy drives at work with what I think is an old serial type flat connection. I have a serial to 1.5" IDE cable for it but all my adapters are for 2.5" IDE and I can't find something that will make it work.

shortstraw8

Not sure how much it is worth, but my moms computer does, but it is all the way in Spanish Fork. Also i have had no reason to test it in years but should still work.

*edit
Actually let me check that hers does the 5 1/2, I think it does.

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
If you could find a computer that had both 5 1/4 and 3.5" you can easily make it happen, we still use 3.5" disks in the air force and use USB plug ins to run the 3.5". Shouldn't be too hard if you can find a way to get it on a 3.5" at the very least.