5.9 Cummins Longevity

Asbjorn

As you may have seen in my other thread, my current SRW 3rd gen Dodge isn’t working out for me, and I’m looking to go to a dually. I want to stick with a 3rd gen Dodge. In looking around, it seems that I’m coming across a few in the 300k+ mileage range. I found one of particular interest with 316k on the odometer and lots of documented service. New injectors, new clutch, “overhauled” 6 speed transmission and transfer case, etc. Engine is original. Truck was used for hotshot transportation so it’s mainly highway mileage.

How many miles do these engines go before needing a rebuild?

In my internet research, it seems to be around an average of 300-400k if well maintained. Per the seller, his mechanic says “1,000,000 miles is common if maintained well.”

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
As you may have seen in my other thread, my current SRW 3rd gen Dodge isn’t working out for me, and I’m looking to go to a dually. I want to stick with a 3rd gen Dodge. In looking around, it seems that I’m coming across a few in the 300k+ mileage range. I found one of particular interest with 316k on the odometer and lots of documented service. New injectors, new clutch, “overhauled” 6 speed transmission and transfer case, etc. Engine is original. Truck was used for hotshot transportation so it’s mainly highway mileage.

How many miles do these engines go before needing a rebuild?

In my internet research, it seems to be around an average of 300-400k if well maintained. Per the seller, his mechanic says “1,000,000 miles is common if maintained well.”
I have seen them go 1,000,000 personally but I have seen way more only go 300-400k. I wouldnt buy one unless your prepared to spend the required money to rebuild that engine. If it were me I would spend the extra 10k up front and buy one with less miles and have a nicer truck rather than end up spending 10k on an engine 6 months in.

Also after having 2 different 6.7 cummins, I would never own another 5.9. The 6.7 would run circles around the 5.9 towing the same load and you can get the 6 speed auto which is an awesome trans if you not boosting it to the moon

Asbjorn

I have seen them go 1,000,000 personally but I have seen way more only go 300-400k. I wouldnt buy one unless your prepared to spend the required money to rebuild that engine. If it were me I would spend the extra 10k up front and buy one with less miles and have a nicer truck rather than end up spending 10k on an engine 6 months in.

Also after having 2 different 6.7 cummins, I would never own another 5.9. The 6.7 would run circles around the 5.9 towing the same load and you can get the 6 speed auto which is an awesome trans if you not boosting it to the moon
That was my exact back and forth with the seller. At his asking price, I’m not comfortable if the engine needs rebuilt in the next year or two. His other 3rd gen has 560k on the original engine, so he’s convinced that I’m being ridiculous.

Interesting on the 6.7 - the only experience I’ve had with one was a work truck that constantly had issues with the additional emissions equipment and if I recall, also required DEF. I’m really trying to steer clear of that stuff. But maybe I should reconsider.

I do agree, I’d rather spend a little more up front on something with lower miles…if I can find one.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Job I had many years ago had a fleet of 5.9’s when I left most were in the 300-400 range and still running fine. Had one with 800k still ran but was a turd. Sure do regret selling my 2014

shortstraw8

Interesting on the 6.7 - the only experience I’ve had with one was a work truck that constantly had issues with the additional emissions equipment and if I recall, also required DEF. I’m really trying to steer clear of that stuff. But maybe I should reconsider.
DEF was not til 2012 on cummins motors iirc. And milage in diesels is just like gas motor, if it was treated well and maintained well then it is likely to run longer. My best experiences with diesels is the 07.5-10' almost as basic as you can get (with emissions regulations) and as long as you keep up on the EGR cleaning and keep up on the DPF burn off you will be fine, both of those seem to do better when you pull heavy and often. I have been kicking around the idea of selling my 07.5 dwr since our plans changed and I will never pull what this thing is capable of but maybe 8 times a year.

Last edited:
DEF is on 2013+ or maybe 2012.5+ - at least I have a 2012 with no DEF. I'll echo skippy's endorsement of the 6.7 with the 6 speed auto. I only have experience with one, but it has been a fabulous towing machine!

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
That was my exact back and forth with the seller. At his asking price, I’m not comfortable if the engine needs rebuilt in the next year or two. His other 3rd gen has 560k on the original engine, so he’s convinced that I’m being ridiculous.

I do agree, I’d rather spend a little more up front on something with lower miles…if I can find one.
my last 6.7 was a 2008 and regularly towed 20k pounds without a hiccup, It had been deleted which is a 2 hour job and costs very little to do if thats something your interested in

Asbjorn

my last 6.7 was a 2008 and regularly towed 20k pounds without a hiccup, It had been deleted which is a 2 hour job and costs very little to do if thats something your interested in
I’ll put the 6.7’s back on my search. Deleted would be a must for me.