85 Mitsubishi Turbo Diesel Buildup

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
The ring and pinion is currently 5.13 but I am going to regear it to 4.56 which will correct my speedo and return me to the stock ratio. Right now I max out on the freeway at 65mph which is fine but I hate to wind out the motor just to do 65mph on the freeway. I also hope that by going with the 4.56 gears that I can even get better than 35-40mpg.

Why not run 35's rather than regearing it? you know you wanna... just imagine 75mph

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Yeah since having the engine and fuel injection overhauled 5 months ago, it has been getting 33-35 city and 38-41 freeway according to my gps. I do add a Stanadyne additive as well which does increase the cetane level and improve lubrication but I only add 2oz of Stanadyne per tank. It has a little 18 gallon tank and I usually get around 650-700 miles per tank.

My Lexus Lx450 on the other hand gets around 14-15mpg but I have seen as high as 16 with a stong tail wind while driving downhill.:rofl:

I'm so jealous! I guess wheeling trips are cheap for you then, Civic MPG with tons of gear space.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I have considered running 35's but running 35's would put me over the maximum allowable frame hieght for the wieght of the truck.

That is only 1" taller frame height. Adjust the coilovers to drop it an inch or two, or let a few psi out for inspection :eek:. Way cheaper than regearing both axles and you know you'll want to step up to 35's at some point anyways. :D

Moon

That is so cool, I always want to do something like that to my d50, I loved that thing, just wished it had more power and more clearance... Yeah, yours is like way better than what I ever dreamed of doing....

spencevans

Overlander
I saw this in Logan yesterday. It is even cooler that it looks in the photos. Next time I see it I'll have to chase you down and get a closer look!

Oh no need to track me down, just give me a call and you can come take a look. I live next to Macey's in Providence. I still have a few things that still need to be completed like installing the 5:1 Atlas, installing fiberglass fenders, installing body armor/sliders and an old school paint job. Mount Logan hopes to have the Atlas within the next week or two. So it is nearing the end, but I have a feeling it will never be finished, just don't tell my wife.;)

Spence (801)722-5517

spencevans

Overlander
I got some fiberglass fenders in the mail today for my truck. I am pretty stoked. They have a 37" opening instead of a 30" opening which will allow me to run bigger meats.:D

I will try to post some pics.

spencevans

Overlander
I have a few updated pics of the truck. I still need to trouble shoot some electrical gremlins, and finish the body work, but Mount Logan has done a great job installing the Atlas 5.0, an ARB winch bumper, a defender roof rack and some offroad lights.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

spencevans

Overlander
Nice! :cool:

That mini roof rack is way cool! I'm jealous :D

It's actually a Defender roof rack. It's intended to be used on the side by side UTV's but it fits perfectly on a mini truck because it is 48" wide. I was really reasonable as well at a couple hundred bucks. It came with 4 tabs in the front for mounting lights and 2 tabs in the rear for mounting rear lights. I like it alot.

spencevans

Overlander
Well my tires showed up today. I am very pleased with the way they look on the truck. I think the size is just right and I really like how they look with these rims. I went with the newly released General Grabber Competion Tires, and XD Addict wheels. The tires are size 33x12.50x17's:)
4685921387_00a2cfcc76.jpg

4685921469_42d5567a95.jpg

4686553798_8dcdf2a03a.jpg

spencevans

Overlander
Update:

After installing the 2wd km132 tranny with a divorced Atlas but it is giving more vibrations than I like at high speeds and it's hard to keep aligned because I do not have driveline between the Transmission and Tcase. The tcase is connected to slip yoke, so I have hatched an evil to marry my Atlas to a manual Mitsubishi tranny with out any adapters.

The plan is to use an FM145 transmission found in a 1985-87 Ford Ranger with a detatchable bellhousing and mate it to the engine using the proper 4D55 (2.3 Mitsubishi Turbo Diesel) bell housing Ford used back in the 80's. I am using a flywheel, clutch, slave cylinder and through out bearing from a 2.3 Turbo Diesel Ford Ranger. I ordered a new input shaft and retainer from Advanced adapters and I will convert my Atlas50 from divorced unit to married unit that will mate to the FM145 Tranny. I had a custom hydraulic clutch line made so I can connect my Master cylinder to my new slave cylinder. I had Nevada Speedometer make me a 12 " speedo adapter that will connect my Mitsubishi speedo cable to the Altas. So now I'll know how slow I'm going.
Bought a couple bellhousings for the swap. These will mate my 4D55 engine to an FM145 transmission, which will then marry to my Atlas. Goodby divorced Atlas.

4769464164_ac3ff46abd.jpg

4768825731_79ce885204.jpg

More parts, these are the parts that are needed to convert my Atlas II from a divorced case to a case that will marry an FM145. I have a new retainer, input shaft and some seals. Also pictured is my new bellhousing.

4778302107_6e14aa936a.jpg

4778937220_1fe255da02.jpg

My new FM145 transmission :D

I also bought a new shifter from Ford so that it shifts smooth. I will need to be modified and bend the stick so that the shifter clears the console.

4789479330_1a97bf0361.jpg

With Mitch's help at Mt. Logan we Married the FM145 to the Atlas tcase and with the help of a friend we mocked it into place and built a tranny mount. I still have a few issues to sort out like the slave cylinder connection. But for the most part, it looks really good. I also need to get an adapter for the Speedo. I also had to use BFH to clearence the tunnel.

4885862543_0cf9f10736_b.jpg

4885857051_ed234100be_b.jpg

Speedo cable connection from my Mitsubishi Pickup. Nevada Speedometer is making a connecter to go from this connection to my Atlas Tcase.
4885860565_da18d13664_b.jpg