General Tech A paintjob meant to be scratched

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Maybe he's an ass, but he's rockin the "in" hair cut these days. Interested to see how this turns out.

Speaking of hair and totally derailing this thread, my wife ran across my senior pictures the other day while cleaning up some stuff in the basement. They are to awesome not to share. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0262.JPG
    IMG_0262.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 21

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Marc, you absolutely get what I am trying to say. I definitely want to stick with the non-tinted color for the same reasons you pointed out. My windshield frame is in terrific shape, as strange as that may sound. I've always thought your YJ looked nice. I'm not interested in entering a car show.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Saw that on Facebook. I think I have that same sweater. :p

Pics of me at 18 are also shockingly different from present day. I really had some sweet hair.

R

rockdog

Good thread. I have always wondered if there was a paint that was cheap enough that you wouldn't worry about trail rash. But would still look good.
On a side note. My cousin ran his own high end auto body shop for a lot of years. He said in the 70's, the car manufacturers would paint cars with body defects white because it hid defects that were obvious with other colors. He said if you don't want to do as much prep, paint it white.

Bart

BWAHAHAhahahaha, saw that pic the other day on FB. That could be a whole new thread. C'mon Hickey, let's play a bit with a plazma before you paint. My thoughts on paint include the better the quality, the better it lays down. If you're going to scratch it after, it just doesn't matter.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
If you Google that color, you'll find a JK painted that shade with a stripe near that same color as the panels on your old buggy. It looks really fantastic.

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
Have you looked into raptor liner? you can make it some what smooth or rough depending on what you want.
it costs around 125 with the applicator gun and you can get it in black or have it color matched.
from all the research that i have done on it, i have not read a bad review and it holds it sheen very well.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I think I'm going to have to paint my truck that color someday. As much as I love being unique, that color is incredible.

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I was wondering what would happen if you took a normal strong urethane paint job and then sand the whole thing with 1000-2500 grit sandpaper so the entire surface was flat and then just leave it that way. You would have a flat paint job that wouldn't show scratches and as long as you didn't sand through the clearcoat it should last pretty good. If you got a scratch big enough that you wanted to fix it you could just sand it out, repaint the panel, clear coat it and sand it out again with 1000-3500 grit paper. Also if you didn't like it you could just rub it out and it would be shiny again.

Thoughts?

Medsker