A Reminder About Safety

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
I don't know if any of you had heard about this. The school district has been pretty closed mouthed about it... I won't give much more detail than what has been publicized but I just wanted to bring up just how risky some of the every day things we do can be.

From my students that also went to this teachers classes: Said teacher was giving examples to students on how to properly purge out a fuel vessel before hot working on it... had a 55 gallon race fuel barrel that, from my understanding, said teacher did everything correct in purging it of all flammable material. Then took a plasma cutter to it, which immediately caused it to explode and he is now in the hospital in critical condition.

This is someone I've worked with many times and has definitely made me think more than most of the "safety trainings" I've ever gotten.

I post this only to remind everyone to be safe out there. Take the extra step to be safe when doing that next project.

RockChucker

A guy I work with had a kid in the class when the accident happened. She and another girl probably saved the guy’s life by administering cpr. It sounds like he wasn’t wearing any ppe like safety glasses at the minimum. He was doing some work on a fuel vessel and had cleaned it out and washed it out but then drained it to empty. Sounded to me like he should have kept it full of water to do what he was doing to it.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Probably the lesson the kids will remember over everything else they learned their entire school careers. Seems like the lesson could have been taught using a stunt fuel barrel that had never held an explosive liquid.