Topic of Discussion ** ACTION ALERT ** Emery Land bill could close thousands of miles of OHV Trails.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
My letter:

TO: Emery County Commissioners (Commission@emery.utah.gov)
Lynn Sitterud: lynns@emery.utah.gov
Gil Conover: gilc@emery.utah.gov
Kent Wilson: kentw@emery.utah.gov

CC:
Utah 4 Wheel Drive Association: u4wda@u4wda.org
Ride with Respect: Clif@RideWithRespect.org
Salt Lake Offroad Expo: landuse@slorex.com

To whom it may concern:

I’m writing on behalf of myself and ExpeditionUtah.com, a community with thousands of Utah based OHV users that recreate throughout the State of Utah and often within Emery County and the San Rafael Swell Area. Our group has spent a considerable amount of time reviewing the proposals, performing site visits and attending the public hearings on this matter. We do not support the Emery County Public Lands Management Act as it is currently written. We ask that you please consider our following concerns and NOT support the Emery County Public Lands Management Act in its current form.

It is our opinion that any management plan should explicitly protect and preserve current and future access on historic motorized routes throughout the San Rafael Swell and peripheral areas. Routes such as Devil's Racetrack, Eva Connover, Fix-It Pass, Eagle Canyon, Black Dragon Canyon, Red Canyon, Hidden Splendor, Calf Mesa, Tomsich Butte, Segers Hole, Horse Valley, etc, should all be preserved and protected for future generations! The Act should both promote and encourage responsible motorized recreation throughout the recreation area.

Closure, be it current or future, of any existing and historic routes as a result of this Act would be a disappointment to the community you represent. We feel it is a flawed approach to corral a growing number of users (motorized and non-motorized users) onto a dwindling amount of trail opportunities throughout the state. In fact, history has shown that closing access to OHV routes is a proven way to decrease user experience while increasing the impact on remaining routes. Dilution is the solution, and the answer in the case of the Swell is to not only maintain existing route opportunities but provide a mechanism and path to open future routes and opportunities for all user groups including motorized users.

We strongly feel that 650,000 acres is a gross misrepresentation of the actual land qualifying for "Wilderness Status" in the San Rafael Swell. While we appreciate and support legitimate designation of Wilderness, we don't support de facto "Wilderness" via WSA's and or mis-designated "Wilderness" as this bill would introduce. We feel that this land should not be managed for Wilderness until, and only when, the land is actually designated as proper Wilderness by the United States Congress after extensive and proper vetting including input from the local communities affected by said designation. Further, we feel that additional recreation opportunities should be investigated, including establishing a process for adding future motorized routes onto the route inventory within any proposed Act. Mining, ranching and historic recreation access exists throughout much of the area defined by the Act, thus they should eliminate these exact areas from consideration as a Wilderness Study Area and certainly a Wilderness Area proper. Additionally, previously existing and historic routes that were closed during the last WSA designations should be restored.

This bill provides no future influence on behalf of the local communities to protect their vested interest in the recreation and access within the San Rafael Swell. This bill provides no future protection for these important and historic motorized routes. This bill provides no restrictions on a future National Monument designation that would further exclude historic motorized access. This bill is broken.

We feel that all routes should be managed in accordance with the current and future wishes of the local communities & county residents, particularly on historic routes such as the Devil's Racetrack, Eva Connover, Fix-It Pass, Eagle Canyon, Black Dragon Canyon, Red Canyon, Hidden Splendor, Calf Mesa, Tomsich Butte, Segers Hole, Horse Valley, etc. The local communities and counties have the pulse of the tourism economy and the wants/needs of their citizens and thus should have a high degree of say in this Act and the affected routes both now and in the future.

On a personal level, I spend approximately 150 days each year in the outdoors and have amassed hundreds of nights under the stars in the San Rafael Swell Area. I have enjoyed countless trips with family and friends on routes within the San Rafael Swell. Each Year we host an annual 4x4 trail ride, with a permit issued through the BLM, on Devil's Racetrack, Eva Connover, Eagle Canyon, Black Dragon Canyon, and other routes in the area. We believe the local economies absolutely depend on continued recreation and tourism throughout the region, and motorized OHV and street-legal vehicle users are a vital part of those businesses. To support an Act that doesn't preserve and protect that access would be a mistep and misuse of your elected power. I look forward to many more trips to this area in the future in which I can recreate responsibly in my 4x4 on primitive routes throughout the San Rafael Swell area, and I hope you do your part to protect that access to our public lands.

Thank you for your time. Should you feel the need to discuss any aspect of this email further, I encourage you to call and or email me at any hour of the day.

Kurt Williams
ExpeditionUtah.com

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Another email from Clif just now....

"I have bad news, and worse news, but a glimmer of hope.

The bad news is that today may be the last day to effectively comment, as the Emery County Commission just scheduled a meeting to vote on its support for the Emery County bill tomorrow (2/4/19) at 6:30am!

The worse news is that the bill would permanently close 74 miles of county Class D primitive roads, not just 50 miles as we had conservatively estimated (see map in first attachment, and example in second attachment)... not to mention untold other routes that (a) were created back when the area was open to cross-country travel, (b) have yet to be inventoried / analyzed / reviewed by the public, and (c) may be worthy of designating open for at least some kind of mechanized use, some seasons, etc.

The glimmer of hope is that there's yet another reason why our elected representatives should be compelled to send the Emery County bill back to the drawing board. Their job is to protect our interests, and when mechanized access to a quarter of the federal lands in Emery County is taken as a sacrificial lamb for the benefit of people hundreds of miles away, that is exactly the time to draw the line (see third attachment). Before I explain this claim, let me point out that you can see the Emery County bill / analysis / contacts for commenting at http://www.sageridersmc.com/land-use-issues.html .

Now, the Emery County bill has been packaged with other public-lands bills into S. 47, which the Senate will vote on this Tuesday morning. Last week, three senators (from Colorado, Montana, and North Carolina) urged the Senate leaders to pass S. 47. Nowhere in the 660-page package could I find wilderness being designated in their states. What I did find was an existing wilderness designation in Colorado where S. 47 would grant non-motorized access to Bolts Ditch Headgate, a water diversion for a bedroom community of Vail. (Apparently towns need the blessing of Congress to access wilderness even without a motor.) Obviously the package is a good deal for Colorado, and I hope it passes for their projects, just with the Emery County parts left out.

Unfortunately the whole package appears to depend on the Emery County part because it provides the primary gains for the wilderness-expansion groups that have quite a grip on Congress. Nevertheless it's not Castle Dale's job to fix Vail's problem that apparently should've been addressed when the wilderness was initially designated surrounding its water supply. Further, if the Emery County bill becomes law, what will happen when non-motorized access is needed into the new wilderness? Will Utah have to convince Nevada to expand wilderness in another public-lands package? Leadership is urgently needed to keep Utah from entering into this sort of Ponzi scheme. Colorado apparently gave up too much land access, and now their water is being held ransom so that Utah will give up too much land access, including 74 miles of its own county roads. The benefits of the wilderness "rope it off" approach may be fleeting due to the inherently global nature of ecological processes, but the drawback of losing access will last. Prescribing this most restrictive designation to public land should be done prudently.

Of course the carrot of a $50M windfall from state-land consolidation tempts Utahn's to overlook the fact that the Emery County bill has become a surgery by sledgehammer. No wonder the state thinks it has to sacrifice mechanized access in order to trade its land with the fed's. The state just relinquished its right to develop state land in the area formerly proclaimed as Bears Ears National Monument. When it lays fallow like the wilderness-expansion groups want, then the state must find a new way to incentivize a federal trade, such as going along with excessive wilderness expansion. However, just five years ago in Grand County, the state got 35,000 acres of federal land for giving up 25,000 acres of state land and ZERO acres of wilderness designation. The fact is that the state could be trading land through a stand-alone bill, or hitching its wagon to some other bill that doesn't attempt to hide the fact that it'd close a bunch of roads and essentially deem every single sagebrush a "snowflake." Unwarranted wilderness is like selling the farm, as it eliminates the chance of a sustainable yield, other than a rather narrow slice of the tourism economy.

If I were Commissioner for a day, I'd say it's high time to take this bill back to the people for comment. First and foremost, that means the residents of Emery County. Also, though, it means consulting each adjacent county. Of the 115,000 acres of wilderness expansion that sneaked into this bill the morning of its Senate vote on 12/20/18, every acre is less than 20 miles from Wayne County while being at least 35 miles from Castle Dale. The Emery County Commissioners aren't beholden to Hanksville, but if they don't even consult Hanksville, it might come back to bite them. Emery County's watershed is in Sanpete County, which has its own interest in consolidating state land. With the revenue of state trades dangling in front of Sanpete County, would they bother to consult Emery County, and would they fight to ensure Emery County's access to its version of the Bolts Ditch Headgate?

These issues can be worked out but, considering that they result from a year of AstroTurf collaboration, they can't be fixed overnight. Fortunately there is no dire consequence to foregoing the current Emery County bill. SUWA won't get its Red Rock Wilderness Act. Trump won't proclaim a monument. The state won't lose its trading power. The BLM won't lack the authority or direction to conserve natural and social resources. And recreationists won't lack the leverage to defend access and volunteer their stewardship of public lands.

But it all starts with you politely persuading the Commissioners and Utah congressmen today (2/3/2019). Thank you for acting now! -Clif"

View attachment Emery County bill route closures 2018-12-11 v2.jpg

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
AYL is giving updates on their fb page. Seems like the commissioners are claiming this be to be the lesser evil, and are in support.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Brian Twyman posted this on fb.

Had an informative meeting this morning with the Emery County Commissioners regarding the proposed changes to the San Rafael Swell and surrounding area. The turn out from various OHV groups was awesome and packed the room. I also noticed Kurt Smith with channel 2 news, and crews from AYL there as well so I look forward to their reports.

It was explained that the meeting had to be moved early so they could notify reps in Washington what their decision was and get it moved to the floor for a vote.

The commissioners presented their reasoning for wanting the bill, and explained their timelines on when they were for or against the bill and what alterations were made to make them change their minds each time.

The commissioners said many times how they weren’t happy with the bill but truly felt it is the best option for the county and preserving future access.

After lengthy and at times somewhat heated debate, the commission voted to support the bill.

The bill should be voted on either today or tomorrow in the senate and then will be passed to the house. We were told they expect voting will be completed before end of week so we should know what the results are on this one way or the other by then.

The meeting for tomorrow(Tuesday) in Castle Dale at 6pm is still a go. That meeting will provide maps, discussions, and other information regarding the bill itself and it’s effect(should it pass). You will also be able to ask questions about the bill, maps, etc...

Thank you everyone who was able to make it down to this early morning meeting. Having so many people involved and in the know about what’s going on is key to continuing our fight to protect access.

For those not able to attend, Chris Price recorded the majority of the meeting with his phone if you wanted to watch

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Brian Twyman posted this on fb.

Had an informative meeting this morning with the Emery County Commissioners regarding the proposed changes to the San Rafael Swell and surrounding area. The turn out from various OHV groups was awesome and packed the room. I also noticed Kurt Smith with channel 2 news, and crews from AYL there as well so I look forward to their reports.

It was explained that the meeting had to be moved early so they could notify reps in Washington what their decision was and get it moved to the floor for a vote.

The commissioners presented their reasoning for wanting the bill, and explained their timelines on when they were for or against the bill and what alterations were made to make them change their minds each time.

The commissioners said many times how they weren’t happy with the bill but truly felt it is the best option for the county and preserving future access.

After lengthy and at times somewhat heated debate, the commission voted to support the bill.

The bill should be voted on either today or tomorrow in the senate and then will be passed to the house. We were told they expect voting will be completed before end of week so we should know what the results are on this one way or the other by then.

The meeting for tomorrow(Tuesday) in Castle Dale at 6pm is still a go. That meeting will provide maps, discussions, and other information regarding the bill itself and it’s effect(should it pass). You will also be able to ask questions about the bill, maps, etc...

Thank you everyone who was able to make it down to this early morning meeting. Having so many people involved and in the know about what’s going on is key to continuing our fight to protect access.

For those not able to attend, Chris Price recorded the majority of the meeting with his phone if you wanted to watch

I was at the meeting but had to leave before it wrapped up and drive to Salt Lake. This is a pretty accurate summary of the meeting. The real rub to this whole thing is what I have learned from somebody who represents several industry entities. With this bill being packaged with bills from Colorado, Alaska and several other states, some of our DC delegation has been willing to add in more wilderness in order to appease the enviromental lobby that was giving push back on some of the other states bills.

Emery County's bill was a bartering chip for other states. Let that sink in for a minute.

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
Sorry to hear

It's not as if access is going to improve around Vial (Vail spelled correctly), it just means that the enviro whackos who support this crap can now have access to their water

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Update from Clif...

"Attached is another illustration of what's at stake this week.

Monday the commissioners unanimously dismissed our critique of the Emery County bill, but they've also invited us to discuss it this coming evening, so let's take them up on it!

The fact is that, although their vote supporting the bill was a big blow, we still have a few options to fix this mess and we are actively working with all of Utah's congressmen to do so.

Please continue learning about the bill, voicing concerns, and holding your representatives accountable for the decisions that will set the course of history in the San Rafael Swell and beyond.

In addition to actually changing the course of this legislation, the meetings present an opportunity to SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT. How can we avoid future mistakes without learning the facts of our past and present? The commissioners continue to assert that the bill wouldn't close roads, but they've given me a chance to prove otherwise, and it should be entertaining for you at the least!

Further, we will discuss whether the bill is actually better than a national monument, and whether it's necessary to expand wilderness for 200,000 acres beyond the current WSA's in order to consolidate state lands (aka SITLA trades). It will be worthwhile for you, and it will be helpful to the cause of access for responsible recreation, otherwise I wouldn't ask for your time.

The first meeting (5pm to 6pm in the conference room) is hosted by concerned citizens with alternative viewpoints, and the second meeting (6pm to at least 8pm in the San Rafael Room) is hosted by Emery County with guests from the state and congressional offices. Please attend both meetings to get the full scoop.

See you there Tuesday, February 5th, 2019 in the Emery County Administrative Building at 75 East Main Street, Caste Dale."

1549372871813_Middle Wild Horse Mesa.jpg