Advice Needed - Considering F800GS

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Basic rundown - we are relocating to St George in 2 weeks. When I gave notice at my employer, I offered to maintain some work telecommuting. The last 2 weeks have been full of negotiations on tasks and pay. In the end I have a new gig I am really excited about, with more pay than anticipated (still a decrease, but that was expected going from management to a mid-level analyst). I'm the first telecommuter in the organization and they wanted me to commit to being in the office 3 consecutive days per month. With the transition, we downsized to one vehicle (borrowing a loaner family car to commute until the move is done). Staying up here is not an option. We already closed on our house up here and down there. And I want to be in Southern UT.

There is one big hole in this plan - About half the time I come up I'll bring the whole family in the tahoe, but then I don't want to leave Kami stranded with the kids while I'm at the office (rotating staying at families either in Pleasant Grove, Heber or Sandy - office in Orem). My only solution so far is to haul a bike on a hitch carrier or small trailer, and use that to get to/from work. In the worst winter months, we'll likely be up here to visit family for holidays, and in January/February I can be selective about when I come up (if a storm is coming, reschedule my visit). When I come up alone, I'd just take the bike.

I'm thinking a 800GS would serve this purpose well (I'm the reason Cody's thread has so many views). Maybe more $ than I need to spend, but I'll need something to do when I'm up here alone in the evenings, and occasionally I'd like to take some back roads home. Other than that, I doubt I'd get too deep into the "adventure" style riding.

A few questions:
Good idea/bad idea? Why?
Any alternatives I'm not considering?
What would you do?
Should I consider a different bike?
Just wait for the Elio to come out?

Caleb

I want to say it's a good idea (I love the 800) but to be honest, if your intention is a highway commute from S. Utah, I don't think an 800 would be the best bike. They are still just a little small (weight, not power) to be comfortable on the highway. Surely could be done and I've been saying for years I intend to get an 800, but I think you'd be better off looking at a bike like the 1200 Super Tenere. You'll get an extra 100 lbs almost once fully fueled, you'll have a 1200 vs. the 800, and you can almost get a brand new one for what a used 800 goes for. Or look for a used 1200GS, it'll run the highway much more comfortably as well.

That's my $.02 :D

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
You make a good point, as 95% of its life would be freeway cruising. I initially went into this thinking a 650 would work, and bumped up to an 800 after a bit of comparison between the 650 and 800 on freeway riding. That super tenere looks like a great bike also.

A 1200 is a little intimidating, as the road bike rode for 3 years was a 400, and the only other bikes I've had seat time on are dirt bikes.

Caleb

Yeah, I understand the intimidation factor. Go sit on a 1200GS and it becomes REALLY intimidating :D I personally can't imagine having one of those offroad on anything more than a fire road but I know there are guys that do some pretty crazy trails with them.

boogie_4wheel

Yamaha Super Tenere
Suzuki V-Strom 1000
Kawasaki Versus (maybe)
BMW 1200GS

How much money do you have to spend? I would think that when you are heading to/from the Dixie, you are going to be pounding pavement at a high rate of speed in a effort to spend the most time with the family (at least this is what I do when I travel for work, fastest A to B). So, you are going to want something large, comfortable, and powerful. Something that can run 85 uphill, loaded, with a head wind. I've never ridden the 800, but I think it would come up a little short in the power department. Don't get me wrong, on paper which is about all I know about the 800GS it looks like a nice bike, but to spend most of it's life on the interstate, I think there are better options.

I had a coworker that ran a 1200GS from St George to SLC weekly, and he loved it. 40-something for mileage as he was stretching the throttle cable the whole way.

I've been getting serious about swapping my VTX1800T for an adventure bike, but I must have something that I can do 700+ miles in a day on if needed (I use my bike to travel to work whenever I can). I'm very interested in the new CRF1000L, but don't think it would be the best fit for me if I were to continue to ride as much pavement as I do now.

The Tenere seems like a nice bike, as long as you don't get it in really rough stuff, it has poor ground clearance compared to the others. But seems like a nice street ride that can still run some dirt, and it's shaft drive.
The 1200GS is the 'king'. Everybody knows about these things. Don't they?
I test rode a V-Strom 1k a few years ago, was peppy, handled well. They have a huge aftermarket for all sorts of farkles.
If you go KTM (950/990/1190), they are more offroad oriented, but can still pound some slab. But for you I don't think this is the best route.

If you got the money, go with the big GS, but go sit on the Super Tenere to save yourself some money.

The list would change a little bit if you decided to play in the sand with 'this' bike as well. If you ran around in the hills along the Virgin River Gorge or south of Hurricane ( and just about any alternate route between here and there, then you would be fine.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Great feedback, thanks! For a budget, I'm keeping it under $15k - with gear (obviously if I could find an $8k bike that I was happy with, that would be fantastic). I threw my leg over a 1200GS today and it felt big, but I guess this is 98% pavement pounder. And like you said, it is "the" bike. I didn't bring a helmet so I didn't ride anything, but a Triumph Tiger 800 xcx is also in the running.

The next step is getting a few of these bikes out (and up to freeway speed) and feeling what bike would be best.

Have you heard anything on the Africa twins price?

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Whoa, I just checked on pricing of the 1200GS... even used prices are pretty steep :eek:

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
If you're leaning towards road-oriented freeway riding and want an 'adventure' bike, I'd say check out the V-Strom 650. They're affordable, reliable, smooth, comfortable and feel like a good compromise of size around town and on the freeway. A lightly used bike can be picked up for $5-6k and they run forever with little issue. The Tenere is amazing, it'll go head to head with the BMW GS1200 for part of the cost... if I was given the choice, I'd take the Tenere. The '14+ Tenere has electric cruise control, which is huge in my book if you're planning on freeway riding.

I will say this, commuting on a bike will suck... dealing with heat, cold, precipitation, traffic (semis), animals, the raised alertness you need, wearing all your gear etc, etc, etc.... makes for a stressful ride. In your head you think it's ideal, but reality is different in my experience.

I've put almost 10k miles on my KTM 990 in the last year and I hate ANY time over 15 min spent on the freeway on the bike. Backroads, country roads.... fun. Freeway.... eff that. A bike that's smooth with cruise control and a good windscreen and fairings is what you need.

IMO if you're just looking for a commuter, a small, inexpensive car is so much easier. But if you're OK with a challenge, than have at it. :D

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I will say this, commuting on a bike will suck... dealing with heat, cold, precipitation, traffic (semis), animals, the raised alertness you need, wearing all your gear etc, etc, etc.... makes for a stressful ride. In your head you think it's ideal, but reality is different in my experience.

IMO if you're just looking for a commuter, a small, inexpensive car is so much easier. But if you're OK with a challenge, than have at it. :D

Someone had to say what I didn't want to hear :cody: All valid points and from a trusted source. Thanks for the input Greg!

boogie_4wheel

Here is some more reading material.
http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/how-the-new-honda-africa-twin-compares-to-its-dirty-adv-1719991973

The right gear can make or break a ride. I rode to the office when it was 28*. I've gone through Barstow in the middle of summer. A good jacket with liner and heated gloves for winter, and an evaporative vest in the heat makes a huge difference. I don't find riding to be stressful in the city. I did notice that my 19mi commute takes longer on the bike vs car/truck because of the strap on lunch, gear up, get to work, half cover bike ,then do it all again for the ride home. But I will say that I've kinda spoiled myself driving the car the last couple weeks to the office since I had a leaky fork seal.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
One of the guys at work rides a BMW 1200RT, it's not a dual sport by any stretch but he said it does have heated grips and a heated seat for the cold mornings. Not sure if the heated options were on the GS or not.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I am with Greg. The asphalt will look a lot different now that you have kids. The amount of stress while riding is insane.
I vote small car for commuting. If the family will all be coming with you most of the time, keep the car up here at a family members home, use it when you are here.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
The 2nd car left up here is the only other solution that satisfies the problem. Then when I come up alone either I tow it back down to drive back up, or take the shuttle up if I didn't plan it out. I absolutely hate the idea of owning a car I drive 3 days/month. Insurance, registration, gas, etc.

On the other note, I am no more risk averse now than before kids. My Dad passed away a year ago following a triathlon. I have no doubt if he could do it over he would have eased up. However, life is too short to fear death, especially if it means forgoing doing something you're passionate about. Getting in a car is a calculated risk that we all take. I rode a street bike all through high school and it taught me to be a more defensive driver. No doubt riding comes with greater risk, but a lot of those risks can be mitigated.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Commuting on the freeway on the 800 wouldn't be ideal for all the reasons Greg said.

That being said, buy my bike. :D

boogie_4wheel

The 2nd car left up here is the only other solution that satisfies the problem. Then when I come up alone either I tow it back down to drive back up, or take the shuttle up if I didn't plan it out. I absolutely hate the idea of owning a car I drive 3 days/month. Insurance, registration, gas, etc.

What? A bike has your issue resolved for 8+months of the year, but you do need to worry about winter time (but said you could reschedule, or just abandon the family without a vehicle for that day).

I just rode my street bike to work today. It's been down for a few weeks because of a blown fork seal. I had soo much fun riding to work today, and am looking forward to the ride this eve, all 19mi of it.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I made my first solo run up to the office today, and was glad I wasn't riding. Left at 530am, worked 8 hours and got back home at 830pm. I'm now considering a diesel VW or 1st gen insight combined with a a wr250r or other street legal thumper to ride around town (down here and when I come up with the family)

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
My 2000 VW TDI Jetta had a small tow hitch... build a light weight trailer to haul a WR250R and you'll have what you need, a car that gets 45+ MPG and a bike that gets 60+ MPG!