Jeep Advise on JK Jeeps

TJ4Me

Hey all,

My brother is looking at getting a JK, and I'm curious as to what he should look for. Any common problems he should be aware of? Certain years to avoid? Transmission problems with manual or automatic? They will be using it as a daily driver, but it will see some Moab, and other offroading trails.

Thanks for any insight you can offer!

Nate

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
One issue is a few '07s snuck out of the factory with D35 rears.

If its lifted already look for the smiley face of a bent front axle.

The 3.6l has as much power as a supercharged 3.8l so a 2012 or newer is a good choice.

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
2012 or newer for the engine (unless you're wanting to swap in a Hemi or LS motor). As mentioned above the D35 is pretty uncommon but it's out there. They're almost like buying a Honda or Toyota as far as resale, so I was going to buy new but found a used deal. I don't know of any "common" reliability issues.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
The early Penestar 3.6 engines have had some serious head issues. I would look at late 2012 to 2013 for that engine. The 3.8 is weak, but ok if you arent into speed and drag racing.

If it has 33 or larger tires, check the the front axle for gussets. If they aren't there, make sure the tires stand straight up instead of / \ because the C's can't handle the abuse of bigger tires.

TJ4Me

All good things to know. Thanks. Anything else? He's going to go look at some tomorrow. Man, I'm jealous. Lol

Last edited:

TJ4Me

He test drove one with the 3.6 liter and loves it, but we have a few more questions pertaining to the older 3.8 liter.

We have been told '07 & '08 have a cooling/overheating problem, as well as an oil delivery problem taking out rod and main bearings. Have you heard of these problems? If so, do you know if they were fixed for '09, '10, & '11 model years? Thanks.

TJ4Me

He test drove one with the 3.6 liter and loves it, but we have a few more questions pertaining to the older 3.8 liter.

We have been told '07 & '08 have a cooling/overheating problem, as well as an oil delivery problem taking out rod and main bearings. Have you heard of these problems? If so, do you know if they were fixed for '09, '10, & '11 model years? Thanks.

Any info on this would be appreciated...

Bart

My guess by the lack of response is that no one here has heard of those problems. I haven't but I'm not well versed in JKs.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member

For the what the 3.8L costs vs. the 3.6L units, I thought it was a no-brainer to go with a lower mile 3.6L vs. a high mileage 3.8L. I did consider a 3.8L unit but was just looking for something to swap a Hemi or LS motor into. Liked the idea of the 3.6L with a warranty (after dealing with my 2004 Dodge)

OB1

I bought my 07 new and have put over 115k on it with out any problems with the 3.8L. Granted I haven't wheeled it as hard as some others, only doing the easy to moderate trails. Would like to do the GM swap eventually when it does start having issues.

TJ4Me

The early Penestar 3.6 engines have had some serious head issues. I would look at late 2012 to 2013 for that engine.

Can anybody explain what the head issue is? Also is there a build date for 2012 I need to look for, or how to identify early from late 2012?

Thanks all. Definetely looking at the 2012 & 2013. Pretty friggin' sweet!!!

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Can anybody explain what the head issue is? Also is there a build date for 2012 I need to look for, or how to identify early from late 2012?

Thanks all. Definetely looking at the 2012 & 2013. Pretty friggin' sweet!!!

On Jeepforum.com in the JK section you can find all kinds on info on this.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I love my '13 after driving a 2011 with an auto for a week while on vacation, I wouldn't look back. 3.6 is far superior, as well as the new tranny

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
My guess by the lack of response is that no one here has heard of those problems. I haven't but I'm not well versed in JKs.

I did see one '07 JK 2dr here a few months back with 100k miles that had a rod knock. (It was traded to us for that exact reason, and we put a new engine in it and then sold it.) That was the only JK I have personally seen with major engine trouble, so I figured it was an isolated incident.

Kssting

Some of the early 3.6 2012's have had a valve issue so they need the driver side head replaced but the percentage is small. The issue effected several Jeep and Chrysler vehicles with the 3.6. My 2012 JK was built in May of 12 and so far it has 20k miles and no valve/head issues. I had a 3.8 JK and even after re-gearing it doesn't compare to the 3.6.

TJ4Me

Thanks for all the great advise. He decided to get a 2013 based on alot of the reasons that some of you mentioned. Man, it is sweet...