af canyon

tc meiser

-customeiser-
me and my dad heard of af and wanted to no if any trails or any rocks ,anything is up there cause we were going to go play saturday and thought about american fork canyon...

Caleb

there are tons of trails up afc BUT its not open for the season yet, prolly another month before its open.

Col Mustard

There are quite a few fun trails in AF. I haven't been through there in a few months so I can't say how the snow is. You can get a map at the canyon entrance which clearly shows what trails you can run. A good starting point is Silver Lake. From there follow the trail to Mineral basin. You'll find a fun rock garden to run through. Mary Ellen Gulch has a steady rocky grade to climb. Many of the trails end at old mines and you can explore the equipment. Todd Adams is a good one to talk to about the history of the area. If I didn't have so much going on with my Jeep right now, I'd offer to go with you. Have fun! :)

Cory

Col Mustard said:
There are quite a few fun trails in AF. I haven't been through there in a few months so I can't say how the snow is. You can get a map at the canyon entrance which clearly shows what trails you can run. A good starting point is Silver Lake. From there follow the trail to Mineral basin. You'll find a fun rock garden to run through. Mary Ellen Gulch has a steady rocky grade to climb. Many of the trails end at old mines and you can explore the equipment. Todd Adams is a good one to talk to about the history of the area. If I didn't have so much going on with my Jeep right now, I'd offer to go with you. Have fun! :)

I've been to Silver Lake many times and I've been to Mineral Basin many times, but I didn't know there was a direct route between the two without going back to Tibble Fork. Am I misunderstanding your description or is there really a road over the top of the mountain?

Caleb

Cory said:
I've been to Silver Lake many times and I've been to Mineral Basin many times, but I didn't know there was a direct route between the two without going back to Tibble Fork. Am I misunderstanding your description or is there really a road over the top of the mountain?

I think he is mistaken, AFAIK there isnt really a road between Sliver and Mineral...

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
Supergper said:
I think he is mistaken, AFAIK there isnt really a road between Sliver and Mineral...
There are foot trails left over from the miners between Silver Lake, Mary Ellens gulch, Tinghy's Grave (I don't know how to spell that), Mineral basin etc. No Jeep trails.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Meat_ said:
Edit: I was up there day before yesterday. -_-
Was there snow at Tibble?
Did you ride up on ATV's or Snowmobils?
Just wondering on when it might open. If there is still alot of snow.

Caleb

dunatic67 said:
There are foot trails left over from the miners between Silver Lake, Mary Ellens gulch, Tinghy's Grave (I don't know how to spell that), Mineral basin etc. No Jeep trails.

yeah, thats what I meant...no jeep trails is a better way to put it...I know you can get back in there a ways and get pretty close but nothing that connects besides foot trails... :D

Meat_

Banned
Supergper said:

There is not, well unless you want to drive down a 150 foot cliff that you can't even get to anymore because of a gate.

Meat_

Banned
Shawn said:
Was there snow at Tibble?
Did you ride up on ATV's or Snowmobils?
Just wondering on when it might open. If there is still alot of snow.

I was just in my truck and there was snow at Tibble but only in the pines. I was up the week before that on my ATV, the first snow on the road was about 1.3 miles toward Mineral Basin, then at 1.5 miles (where the creek is on the left side and slide out is on the right) the snow was too deep and soft to get through.

Cory

I wasn't trying to beat you up. I was just trying to find out if there was a road up there that I didn't know about.