Northern Utah AF is open, never been. Going Saturday 16 May

Misfit02

American fork is open all the way up, and I have never been up it. So Saturday morning I am going.

Anyone else want in or anyone else going?

sixstringsteve

There are a few spots it could be sketchy if it's muddy, but I mention it from a LNT/Tread Lightly standpoint. It's good etiquette to stay off wet trails. It's not so much the kicking up mud, but trail damage that takes place. Ruts prevent the trail from eroding properly and create a new channel for water to run down, making the ruts deeper and deeper over time, often requiring extensive work and man hours to repair.

Same goes for horses, mountain bikes, dirt bikes, and hikers. It's best to wait a couple days if the trail conditions are muddy. It'll make for a much better summer if there aren't ruts everywhere.

Don't get me wrong, AF Canyon is one of my favorite places to explore. It's good to take care of our few trails we have left. I'm just trying to help and educate.

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
It's not so much the kicking up mud, but trail damage that takes place. Ruts prevent the trail from eroding properly and create a new channel for water to run down, making the ruts deeper and deeper over time, often requiring extensive work and man hours to repair.

Same goes for horses, mountain bikes, dirt bikes, and hikers. It's best to wait a couple days if the trail conditions are muddy. It'll make for a much better summer if there aren't ruts everywhere.

Don't get me wrong, AF Canyon is one of my favorite places to explore. It's good to take care of our few trails we have left. I'm just trying to help and educate.

This is exactly the problem with Forest Lake. That massive rut in the road right before you get to the top is ridiculous...and now people are trying to avoid it and drive on the high side of the road.

Troop92

Taking care of the trails and not tearing them up is what allows continued access and good relations with BLM, etc.

Last edited:

Troop92

Up to you how you take it. We're just letting you know how much we like up there, being one of the few closer places to go, that all. Go or don't go, just be mindful of what's up there and what could potentially be lost.

Misfit02

i get it. the kicking up mud was a reference to trail damage. Some folks need to have their checkbook balanced for them too.

Considering Snowbird is planning on paving access from the AF side, you may want to enjoy it while you can. If they get their way, which they always have ($$$ always makes the difference) it may not be long before its a nice flat blacktop all the way to the top with gates and locks.

jentzschman

i get it. the kicking up mud was a reference to trail damage. Some folks need to have their checkbook balanced for them too.

Considering Snowbird is planning on paving access from the AF side, you may want to enjoy it while you can. If they get their way, which they always have ($$$ always makes the difference) it may not be long before its a nice flat blacktop all the way to the top with gates and locks.

I doubt they will pave the entire 85 road form bottom to their property. That would be such a huge investments and the money on upkeep would have to be all theirs, unless they work out a deal with the state and forest service, which would mean higher entry fees for all.

We are beyond blessed to have such an amazing recreation spot so close to our community. I echo the advice from others to please be mindful of the road conditions. Be safe and have fun.

dash

on another note, I would not attempt any trail up there without another rig to go with you. That way you know the trail path and have help if you get stuck. Good luck with the run....

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Was up there yesterday - main road is dry and in good shape. Forest Lake road is pretty torn up (as it has been for the last couple years) and is still pretty wet. The road to Midway was still snowed-in. We made it almost to the top before it starts heading back down the Midway side and were stopped by a significant amount of snow. There was one set of quad tracks, but no fullsize rigs have been over it. The snow was too wet and soft to drive on top, and way to deep (still 4+') to drive through without a lot of destruction - not to mention the snow is in the most precarious spot (where you are very likely to slide off the side of the road and get REALLY stuck.) The road was impassable for at least several hundred yards. I'd bet it'll still be a couple of weeks before it's passable.

It is a beautiful time of year to get up there!

Last edited:

Poe_student

Tread Lightly is always a good subject at the start of another trail season. Thanks Steve for the reminder and for all reading this for your efforts to keep the trails open and accessible.

Rock Hog

Wrencher
This is exactly the problem with Forest Lake. That massive rut in the road right before you get to the top is ridiculous...and now people are trying to avoid it and drive on the high side of the road.

Has anyone tried leveling out/filling in this spot? it is quite squirly getting down in there for sure