Update AFC: Graveyard Flats (Forest City Cemetery) Fencing Project

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
It has been a long, long time in the making but the FS just got some money budgeted to build a fence at the Forest City Cemetery. Plan as of current is to build it during NPLD 2012. Has me excited as its been a personal goal of mine to see it happen for many years now.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Do you know if it will be the same fencing as elsewhere in AF or are they doing something special?

Definitely not buck/pole fencing. The graveyard at one time had a white picket fence surrounding the perimeter. It feel victim to mother nature. The hope was to do some ornamental metal fencing that would hold up much better. I'm not sure that the actual design is set in stone?

Very cool. I'm gonna try and be there for this. I still have lots of the photos from when we went out and measured for it.

Email those over to me if you get a chance. I too have some photos as well as our original measurements we took when we were up there with the archaeologist. They may come in handy.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I've got some photo's too from a few years back. I'll dig them up. I'll see if I can find my measurement notes as well. I knew I sent them to the FS at one point.

Cruiser

look what i can do!!
Definitely not buck/pole fencing. The graveyard at one time had a white picket fence surrounding the perimeter. It feel victim to mother nature. The hope was to do some ornamental metal fencing that would hold up much better. I'm not sure that the actual design is set in stone?
Ornamental metal would be easy to prefab panels to be assembled on site!

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Kurt, I have that friend from AF you kow of on FB who still insists that he witnessed all the graves being dug up and remains being moved to a different site. He's an otherwise rational guy but he insists that graveyard is empty and he and his wife watched "them" working on the project some years ago. I often wondered if he was mistaken, what did he see going on and at what site?

He was told that the bodies were being moved to protect them from grave-robbing treasure hunters.

Last edited:

pELYgroso

'Merica
Kurt, I have that friend from AF you kow of on FB who still insists that he witnessed all the graves being dug up and remains being moved to a different site. He's an otherwise rational guy but he insists that graveyard is empty and he and his wife watched "them" working on the project some years ago. I often wondered if he was mistaken, what did he see going on and at what site?

He was told that the bodies were being moved to protect them from grave-robbing treasure hunters.

interesting....

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert

Interesting.. I find that highly unlikely as when we were out there, we could still see the depressions from the original fence, and digging up remains would definately leave more marks than the fence posts. And I'm fairly sure Charmane the archeologist would have made mention of it in our conversations.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

There would have been little or nothing to steal from the bodies, we are talking 100+ years. The reality is even the FS doesn't know exactly where the current graves are and the markers currently there appeared sometime in the recent years. The project may very well serve as more of a 'memorial' and potential graveyard. We had discussed using GPR (ground penetrating radar) to hone in on the exact location of the gravesites as well as find a more accurate number as to the souls who rest there however it is just too cost prohibitive to do so ($5k+ to get started) and results are not guaranteed, particularly if we are 50 feet off the actual site. So much has changed since the 1870's, wolves were roaming the canyon then :eek:

Interesting.. I find that highly unlikely as when we were out there, we could still see the depressions from the original fence, and digging up remains would definately leave more marks than the fence posts. And I'm fairly sure Charmane the archeologist would have made mention of it in our conversations.

Agreed, she would know better than any. Charmaine has conducted research not only historical but site digs in the Forest City area, it was her that first alerted us that they really don't know the exact location of the site.

Personally I'm 100% content with calling the boundaries good, its as close as we may ever get.