Air me up!!!

Caleb

So, the new bike already has a flat front tire. I need to replace the tube. If cost wasn't a concern, would you use a bib mousse, a tubliss, or stick to the ultra heavy duty tubes. I like the idea of the bib because then it removes the need to keep air on you for fixing flats. I'm concerned about it because I do plan to do some long rides (including street miles) on this bike and I know heat kills them and while I'm not too concerned about the cost of these, if I'm having to replace them every year, that will get expensive. I liked the tubliss when Greg and I did our ride. It was awesome to be able to fix a flat simply by plugging and airing up. Thoughts???

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I don't think the bib will last very long at all on the road, but don't have experience. The Tubliss, while amazing, was kind of a PITA to mount, dismount and maintain. If the small 'locking' tube ever failed mid-ride, you BETTER have a normal backup tube or your stuck. It was neat, but I don't know that I will use it again.

I don't know what the best option is... will Tire Balls last with any street riding? I honestly don't know... - http://www.tireballs.com/ **EDIT** - Looks like they're similar to a bib, a decent run on the road and they heat up... and that's it!

Caleb

Good info, thanks. Those are my same dilemmas. I may just go with a normal Heavy Duty/Ultra Heavy Duty tube. I've never really had many flats. One while actually on a trail and was able to complete the ride (was on the way back to the vehicles anyways).

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I've been running bib mousses up front since '08 and I love 'em. However, I wouldn't run one in a plated bike that sees alot of hwy. use. They develop "soft spots" from hard hits that are noticeable when on smooth surfaces or pavement. I'd just run ultra HD tubes front and rear and call it good.

Caleb

I've been running bib mousses up front since '08 and I love 'em. However, I wouldn't run one in a plated bike that sees alot of hwy. use. They develop "soft spots" from hard hits that are noticeable when on smooth surfaces or pavement. I'd just run ultra HD tubes front and rear and call it good.

Great, thanks Von. I also confirmed with Tireballs that their balls are not meant on road riding as Greg has said, in fact he said in motorcycle applications, their balls are only good for offroad use. Oddly enough, even with money not being a factor, the cheapest option sounds like it's still the best option :D Ultra Heavy Duty tubes it is!!!

Greg

Admin
Just to throw another wrench into the gears.... I've heard that ultra heavy duty tubes don't like heat either. I don't know if that means riding freeway speeds in 110* temps or what, but apparently the thicker rubber holds the heat pretty good. I'm sure they're not nearly as sensitive as Tire Balls or a Bib, but something to consider.

That said, I have been running a UHD tube with my trials tire on my WR and it saw some road time, cruising to & from the dirt around town and I never had any problems with heat. Matter of fact, I haven't had a flat with that UHD tube at all, so I may be full of shit. :D

Caleb

:rofl: It actually makes a bit of sense. I'm doing some more reading and lot of guys like the HD tubes over the UHD, but I haven't found a reason why. I'm tempted to go with HD, or maybe UHD for the front and HD for the rear. I'm really not that hard on tubes (*knock-on-wood*) but would like to do what makes sense.

Caleb

So, what's your guys' thoughts on using slime in the tubes? That would cure any thorn and small stick punctures, making it not needed to carry a patch kit (or far less likely to be needed). Anything larger than that I don't think you'll be patching any ways.

SpeedyVic

What about running the Tubliss tire and putting some of Stans sealer in it? I run Stans No-Tubes kit on my Cannondale Jekyll and love it. Wouldn't it be the same principal for a dirt bike tire?

[video=youtube_share;FTlZvOVG8zs]http://youtu.be/FTlZvOVG8zs[/video]

Greg

Admin
That Stans looks like an amazing product, I think it would be worth a try!

With my DR650 that had the Tubliss setup, I was running some sealant from Quadboss that was supposed to work well... IMO it didn't do much. When I got my flat, I tried to let the sealant do the job and still ended up plugging the tire.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
After getting a front flat 10 miles into the first loop of the Cherry Creek National Hare & Hound last weekend and running it flat for 60 miles before changing wheels on the 3rd loop, I decided to bite the bullet and put a Mousse Tube in the front of my bike. I bought 3 Tusk 15" tire irons and had the tire mounted in less than 5 minutes. It was a whole lot easier to mount than I anticipated......the key is to lube the bead with a soap/water mixture and always have at least 3 tire irons ready to pry the bead. i also use the MSR changing stand. I was going to record me mounting it with my Go Pro, but it kept shutting off.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I would use Flat Attack instead of Slime. It is available at all local bike shops and is way better than slime. When I was a kid I cleaned bikes at a shop. They had a tire with Flat Attack in it on a rim truing stand. They welded a finish nail to a piece of steel and would use it to punch several holes in the tube. The tire had to have 1000 holes in it and it would still hold air.

Take a look at the TireBalls website www.tireballs.com. Click the 'news' tab to see where all the uses of the TireBalls MCIS is being used. Racing is now only a small part of the overall uses of TireBalls however racing is where it all started.