Amazing Choir Song: "When David Heard" by Eric Whatacre

sixstringsteve

Somehow I stumbled across this magnificent song (choral music), and it was too good to keep to myself.

To give it a fair listen, it'll take at least 15 minutes of uninterrupted time, an open mind, and a really good sound system or headphones. I know that's a lot to ask, but it's worth it. It's the context of the song and the background story that truly make it a powerful piece.

Although the lyrics are from a verse in the bible, it's not promoting any religious message. It's a story about a father who lost a son, and the pain and agony he was going through when he heard news that his son was dead. I'm sure many people who have lost a loved one can find meaning in this song.

The commissioning of the piece:

[video=youtube;aKrG-0DB9Qo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKrG-0DB9Qo#t=14[/video]

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

The background of the verse in the bible (the story of Absolom) for those who are curious.

This King David is the same David from the bible story of David and Goliath. from here (the first thing I googled about absolom)

In spite of the fact that David was a powerful statesman, a brilliant musician/poet, and an exceptional religious leader, “who found favor in the sight of God” (Acts 7:46), there were flaws in his character. His darkest hour is detailed in 2 Samuel chapters eleven and twelve. The narrative describes the king’s lustful liaison with the beautiful Bathsheba. This adulterous union resulted in the conception of a child, and led the king to arrange for the murder of his paramour’s husband. Severe judgments were leveled against the house of David for these transgressions.

File this episode away for a moment, and consider another event later in the life of Israel’s renowned king. David had a son named Absolom, and a daughter named Tamar. Tamar’s half-brother, Amnon, was quite taken with his sister. He lusted for her, and when she would not yield, he raped the girl (2 Samuel 13:14). Absalom, learned of the horrible deed and was outraged. Doubtless he expected his father to avenge the wicked act. But David did nothing—perhaps due to his own weakness in the area of fleshly desire. But Absalom would not be denied justice. And so, at the end of two years, seething all the while, he laid a plot and had Amnon killed (2 Samuel 13:28-29). What heartache in the house of David.

As a result of this assassination, Absalom was forced to flee beyond the Jordan for asylum. Three years he was in exile, “and David mourned for his son every day” (2 Samuel 13:37). Finally, Absalom was allowed to return to Jerusalem; but even then, he was not permitted into his father’s presence for two years more (2 Samuel 14:28).

From the outset of his return, the ungrateful lad began to make plans to wrest his father’s throne from him. But kingdoms are not toppled overnight, and so the rebel son stealthily “stole the hearts of the men of Israel” (2 Samuel 15:6).

When the time was right, Absalom, with a strong military force, declared himself to be the new king, overthrowing his father. David fled from the capitol city, weeping as he climbed the Mount of Olives east of Jerusalem (2 Samuel 15:30). The wise commander [David] soon gathered his wits, though, and made plans to put down the insurrection. Eventually, the forces of David, and those of Absalom, would meet in mortal conflict in the forest of Ephraim east of the Jordan.

The record reflects a tender note in that the king specifically charged his captains, “Deal gently for my sake with the young man, even with Absalom” (2 Samuel 18:5). But his command was to be ignored. As Absalom rode through the dense forest, he caught his head in the boughs of a great oak tree and his mule ran out from beneath him. Joab, David’s commander, and some of his soldiers came upon the young man in that unfortunate circumstance. Absalom was killed as he helplessly hung there.
When David heard of the death of his beloved (though wretched) son, he uttered one of the most plaintive cries recorded in the Bible.

O my son, Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! Would I had died for you, O Absalom, my son, my son! (2 Samuel 18:33).

Last edited: