Android aps for GPS/topo/trails etc

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Anybody have an ap they recommend for using their android phone as a gps? I've played around a little with mytracks, but I was looking for something that might be a little more robust...much like Brett's hippie weed habit.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Check out Gaia GPS you can try it free and then decide if you want to upgrade to the paid version. I've had some slow loading issue recently but nothing to severe.

sixstringsteve

Backcountry Navigator is what I use. I used to use Gaia, but it freezes everytime I'm in a place where I absolutely need it to work.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I was looking at both trimble and backcountry nav. They seem fairly similar, but it looks like backcountry nav has 3d topo maps.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I use Backcountry Navigator too, and I bought the Accuterra maps to go with it. They're a quasi-topo map with land ownership status so you know if you're on BLM or Forest Service or private land, I love 'em.

The standard topo and satellite and mapquest street maps are free.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I'll be referencing this thread shortly when I switch back to Android. I've had my fill of Apple ;)

DAA

Supporting Member
All I've used is Gaia, never had any performance issues or experienced any bugs. I love the fact that it uses the real USGS quads. But I'm not in love with the app, a couple minor UI design things that kind of annoy me. I'm going to try BPN next, see if I like it better.

- DAA

STAG

I just bought Trimble in hopes to use it for snowmobiling, but so far I'm not 100% sure on how to use it all.

sixstringsteve

I'm currently paying the $3/mo for the elite membership so I can have access to all the maps. It has WAY more features than backcountry navigator, but they also charge for some of the most useful features (like importing a .gpx).

STAG

Looks like a good trip. I just want to be able to make it back to the truck after a ride and to be able to see the maps and where I've been and I like how Trimble lays it out.

sixstringsteve

I like how trimble hosts my maps. So I can host them online and link to them. You can do the same thing with google places, but it's a bit more involved. You can use just about any GPS recording tool (my tracks, google maps, gaia, backcountry navigator, etc) to leave a breadcrumb trail. But then you'll have to save that file and import it to something like google maps. I like that trimble has it all in one interface (though you have to pay the $3/mo to upload your tracks to the internet.)