Northern Utah ANOTHER AF Canyon rescue needed!!

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
So I went riding with my brother tonight. We had a great ride, and it was getting dark. We were just over the peak from Forest lake, and decided it would be faster/safer to go to forest lake and down, as apposed to riding the single track back, in case it became too dark.

So you know that really sketchy/shale rock ledge that you cross just above forest lake.. The one that looks like this:

photo 1.jpg

The darndest thing happened.. I tossed my bike down it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! @&%^$^#&@*@ **&# #^@%^!@ *&#* $##^@%^@#$(* (!@*(@

We watched it go for 100 yards or so before it disappeared, and then heard it go for a while longer.

photo 3.jpg

My brother and I looked at each other and began to laugh.. We didn't know what else to do. We knew it was cold, Dark was only 10 min away, and it is a LOOONG walk all the way back to Tibble.. So we laughed are our situation.

Luckily we came across some hunters at Forest lake. They were ever so kind let me ride on their RZR's roll bar out of the canyon. It made for a long, cold ride.. But WAAAAYYY better than walking out!

The plan is to go back in the morning, ride up and hike in to see if I can locate any bike remains.
I am thinking to to tibble at 10:00. I could use hands to help with what ever pushing/pulling/throwing is required to get it to forest lake, then a truck to haul it down.

I thought I was going to go up in my wifes WJ, but the trail is much rougher than I remember, and I don't think it could handle it.

I do not know where the bike is exactly.. I know what ravine it should be in, but we couldn't see where it stopped (if it did). I have no idea if it will be a crumpled mess, or if it can be ridden out at all. All I know is that it SUCKS either way.

I know most of you have work.. That is to be expected. I will still give it a shot in the morning. I know for sure when it gets to forest lake I will need a hand getting it out. (unless it fires right up, and I ride it out!-it's possible, right? :sick:)

Thanks guys!

Cascadia

Undecided
That sucks. Wish I could help out but like you said, I'll be working. My chain snapped on my bike a few years ago in that same spot and had to hike out pushing my bike with Steve all the way back to tibble. Loooong night. Good luck with the rescue. At least your safe.

Chevycrew

Text me anytime, ill have my 2 year old daughter, and I have the flu, but ill take the trailblazer up. Haulin it out might be a pain tho. 2088905454

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Wish I could help but I'll also be working in the morning. If you need any straps though to tug it out from a distance or something let me know and you can borrow my 40ft. I'll be in west valley if you or Chevycrew want to pick it up.

That's about all I can offer for now unless it's still there on Saturday then I can offer a hand also.

Troop92

I can't until Saturday as well, but I'd be happy to offer whatever help you'd need if haven't gotten it by then. We could put it in the back of Trooper relatively well. On the upside, the weather is supposed to be good through the weekend.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I am off work tomorrow, but I nevertheless have an appointment with a customer at 10:00am. Depending how that goes, I may be able to head up that afternoon. I'll have to check this thread and see what's happening.

sixstringsteve

My brother and I looked at each other and began to laugh.. We didn't know what else to do.

Awesome! That's exactly what I would do too. I had always wondered what would happen if someone lost a bike down there. Sorry to hear that! Keep us posted on how the recovery goes.

I have a cable come-along that you're welcome to borrow if you'd like. It's a heavy bugger, but it'd be very helpful in this situation.

jeeper

Thanks for all the offers guys!
We are goin to head up in just a bit to locate and assess. I had service last night at forest lake, so I will update as soon as I know!

B2-Bomber

i sure hope someone didn't watch this happen from a distance, wait til you left, and either snagged it, or parts from it themselves.....keep us updated

Tonkaman

I can't tell you how many times we have joked that if we ever lost a bike down that ravine we would just walk away. I wouldn't be surprised if you find other abandoned bikes down there!

If you need some help give me a call I can blow off work

jeeper

We are down the cliff, and only 1/4 mile or so from the lake. Bike is push able, but won't start.

Turbominivan, if you are on your way keep coming! It would be awesome to have a truck to haul the bike down with.