Any electricans

Toad

So I am wanting to install a power inverter in a older fifth wheel. I am looking at a 4000 watt inverter with two 120 volt plug in. Is there a way to do so that I can plug in my main shore power cord so the whole trailer is powered? I found this video on youtube and this guy is doing exactly what I am thinking. Some of the comments say this is a bad idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uD6UGa3hh0

This is the inverter I am looking at

http://www.kriegermfg.com/product/kr4000/

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
what are you trying to accomplish? are you looking to get 220v into your trailer? cause that inverter will not do what this idiot did. The inverter will have both outlets on the same cycle or sine wave and thus will not allow you to have 220v.

Most trailers are only wired for single cycle 110 volt there is no left and right side of the power box unless you have a true 220v input. If you have any questions pm and I will try to help you out.

Toad

I just realized I am really overthinking this. All I want is to be able for the kids to watch a show or charge a cell phone without have the generator running. I will use the generator for larger stuff. So mount the inverter close to the batteries. Run my 220 volt cord with a adapter plug on the end and plug it into the inverter. That way the trailer will have 120 volts inside.

ricsrx

i wired my inverter in with a relay, if i am running the generator or plugged into shore power the relay opens and drops out the inverter and all circuits are powered, other wise the relay is closed and i can turn on the inverter and it is hooked up to 2, 110 volts circuits in the motor home, this set up is all hard wired .

the only drawback... if you are watching a movie and switch between power supplies(generator/inverter), you loose power to the DVD player and you have to start the movie again.