Any recommendations on a HVAC company?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
We came home from a mini vacation to a really hot house. AC breaker was tripped, and resetting it only works for and hour or so. It's been too dark to poke around and do any more trouble shooting.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
We’ve had really good luck with Smedley Heating and Cooling. Wouldn’t hurt to get in touch with Carl Nielsen either. Hopefully one of them is available pretty quickly

Pile of parts

We came home from a mini vacation to a really hot house. AC breaker was tripped, and resetting it only works for and hour or so. It's been too dark to poke around and do any more trouble shooting.
Same happened to us on Saturday. We were out all day, came home to a hot house and found the breaker tripped. Went outside to look at the compressor unit and noticed it was wet underneath it. Turns out it was oil and not condensation. This means there was a leak in the freon. The oil and Freon are what keep the compressor lubricated. I'm guessing it seized from lack of lubrication and that's what tripped the breaker.

It's about 92° in the house. We've been sleeping in the basement.

This is a friend I grew up with.
Steve Hill
Hill Heating and Air
801-860-0655

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Mine went out Saturday and the only people I could get out were the people that did the brewery, and they're great.

Precise plumbing heating and ac 801 815 4647

You can tell them Cody from Bewilder sent ya

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have Aire Expresso coming out this afternoon. They are in the Tooele valley.

The AC ran all night but tripped the breaker once more. It kept the house one degree below ambient temperature and didn't reach the set point until about 6 am. I didn't see any oil or condensation under it when I ran it a few minutes ago, and it doesn't seem to be hard starting. It's the breaker on the main panel that has tripped both times, not the breaker on the outside wall next to the compressor.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Darin Allen at Innovative Air Systems. 801-766-2322.

No personal experience, but I'm working with a guy who highly recommends him. Tell him Jared Allred sent you. :)

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Sounds like you have it covered but here's a few we've been impressed with:

Salmon HVAC
Call Climate
Smedley, they did a full A/C install at our previous home.

Good luck and let us know what they find.

How does the air handler/evaporator look? Any codes (flashing lights) on the board?
What's the temperature split between the register and return?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
How does the air handler/evaporator look? Any codes (flashing lights) on the board?
What's the temperature split between the register and return?
No flashing lights on the board, but I think mine only shows the furnace codes on that board.
I have no way to measure the temp split.

SnwMnkys

Can you hear the compress kick on when it calls for AC? The fan will be spinning but you should be able to tell if the compressor itself is running. May be as simple as a blown capacitor if the compressors not kicking on.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Can you hear the compress kick on when it calls for AC? The fan will be spinning but you should be able to tell if the compressor itself is running. May be as simple as a blown capacitor if the compressors not kicking on.
I think I'm hearing it. It seems to be cooling some, but not enough to keep up with the rising temps outside.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The tech said something about the new capacitor being a 45 amp unit but my breaker is a 40 amp. One side of that 40 is getting hot after cycling it back on. Think I should swap in a 50 amp breaker?