anyone do Residential foundation work? have ??????

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I was doing an inspection on a house I am trying to buy and during the inspection process I found a large crack in the foundation that runs from top to bottom of the wall. I just need to know what the process to fix it would be? and what is that process?

My time frame is short to get this in before closing and such so any help will be appreciated!

Attachments

• 20170808_101553.jpg
    20170808_101553.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I'm not a cement guy but how large is the crack? 1/8"? more/less?

How old is the house? A crack in a brand new house is more of a concern than a 30 year old house.

My understanding is concrete cracks, a vertical or close to vertical is not as serious as a diagonal (indicates ground movement like they see in North Salt Lake), or Horizontal.

rholbrook

There are two kinds of cement....cracked and will crack. I dont know what issue can come from this but I would probably start with some tar and make sure it is sealed good but again, I don't know what issues can come from this.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
In my area some of the houses closer to the lake have had issues with settling, they bring in foundation repair companies and put in piers to hold things in place. There's one down the street from me where the garage has dropped at least 8" you can tell it needs work. The picture posted is minor compared to some of the issues I've seen.

Something like this is how they have saved houses in my neighborhood:
https://www.davenportfoundationrepa...n-repair-products/pier-system/push-piers.html
or this:
https://liftitbest.com/

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
This house was built in the 1960's and its only about a 1/8th inch and I am sure they will just fill the crack with epoxy and seal it up. but I was hoping someone on here does this type of work and can tell me the process....

Cascadia

Undecided
You don't need to do anything with a crack that small. Especially if it's not leaking. But if you're worried about it have the seller deal with it. But I see cracks like that all the time in brand new homes.