Anyone ever use an Everlast Powerpro 256?

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
I've been using a everlast power tig 200dx for the last couple years. I put a new, not absolute garbage torch on it and it's been really good. Great welder for the price. I've heard some bad things about the plasma cutter / welder ones, like they blow up, but that issue may haven been solved a long time ago for all I know.

carsonc1974

thanks mike! well im updating this thread again... now im looking at the powertig 250... anybody have any specific expiriance with this model?

AaronPaige

I'm interested too, I been back and forth on a tig from them but just cant bring my self to commit to a machine that's not blue, the prices are much better but is it worth it?

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Everlast customer service was a complete joke when I wanted to upgrade the model welder after I bought mine and then found out they published incorrect specs about it. They refused to take responsibility for their error and wouldn't let me return it and upgrade because then they would be stuck with a machine that was unboxed and they'd have to sell it used. They are complete assclowns.

As for the welder itself it's great actually. I just bought a new Miller Dynasty 200 DX so my Everlast Power TIG 200 DX is currently for sale. When you're welding and not dialing in fancy settings its hard to even tell apart from the Dynasty, on DC and AC for aluminum. I did a lot of awesome welding with this machine in the over 2 years Ive had it.

a76c5166bd1c.jpg

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
That's what kinda bothers me... I don't like having to depend on customer service because the thing broke? How was the actual product? Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

That is truly the oddest thing I've heard about any product... Why would that bother you?
Stuff breaks, it's the nature of equipment, you'll need to service it.
I've replaced parts on nearly all my shop equipment: brushes on grinders and the bench press, liners and sheath on my MIG, the button on my chop saw, etc...

I had excellent service when I purchased the unit. The salesman talked to me and helped me pick the unit that best fit my needs.

Supercut50 is what I ended up with.

Then when I felt like I was use more consumables than I thought necessary; they helped me troubleshoot the problem and I found an issue with my air/water separator (my own) and it took care of that issue.

I broke the trigger button on the gun (my fault: it got crushed under the unit when I moved it) It was out of warranty (2yrs old) I called to order a new one and the sent me a new button (and a few consumables) at zero cost to me 2nd day air so I could finish getting ready for a competition that weekend.

Functionality: It worked every bit as good as my friend's brand name plasma and was more powerful at 1/3 the cost.
The kerf was comparable and size of the unit was similar. The benefit of being able to use 110v or 220v was significant.
I did use more consumables in a given period than him but I suspect it had to do more with improper air pressure and a faulty air/ water separator.
Plus did I mention it was 1/3 the cost? That overlap pays for a lot of consumables.
The unit never had any performance issues.
I did have a learning curve to dialing it in but I imagine that's the same for any brand... plus I'd never used a plasma before I bought mine.

I would still be using if it hadn't been stolen along with dozens of other tools a year or two ago when my shop was broken in to.

If I were to buy another I would get one that had an Autostart feature which is handy for cutting dirty, painted, rusty or expanded metal.

I've used plenty of other plasma cutting units and I'd say the advantage to buying a big name is the ability to get consumables locally, but with a little planning it's not an issue (and this may not be an issue now that they changed consumables).
I believe in proliferation, when there are only a few big names in any market they tend to ever-inflate their prices.
I did a lot of research when I bought mine and I used it for a few years before it was stolen.

I have no experience with their welding machines so consider that as well.
I have owned a Lincoln, rebranded Craftsman and currently a Miller welder and I've had good use from all three. (The Craftsman was difficult to get parts for however).

Last edited:

carsonc1974

All I can follow that up with is I've owned 7 welders over the years... both in a shop setting and home use... both red and blue... never had a problem with any of them... didn't have to worry about customer service because all the machines where rock solid dependable. Thats all I meant by my statement.

I would rather have a rock solid welder then depend on good customer service to get me by while the machine breaks every other weekend. No offense was meant.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I don't use a TIG welder, so take this for what it's worth:

I'm cheap. I try to get the best deal I can on whatever it is I'm dealing with at any given moment. I've owned both cheap and more expensive welders, and cheap and more expensive plasma cutters. I firmly believe that it's worth spending more on this type of equipment, to get the right thing the first time. Otherwise you're spending more in the long run, when you sell (or scrap) your cheap tool and buy the one you should have to begin with.

My best personal example is from plasma cutters--I used a Miller cutter for a while and it was fine, bought a cheap Parker and it was fine, I was happy enough. Then I bought my Hypertherm and realized what I'd been missing all along, in cut speed, quallity, and consumable life. Now I know better, I'll never buy anything but Hypertherm for plasma. For welders I'll feel fine with Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart...but that's about it. I'm done with Chinese equipment for this type of use.

AaronPaige

I was sold on the tig for a few min, I would not get the plasma machine for my own use (already have a miller) any one else use there tig...