Anyone following the new Honda Africa Twin? Coming to the US in 2016

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
It's about time Honda did something to shake up the Adventure bike world! Real world use will see what it's capable of, how off-road capable it really is.

boogie_4wheel

If I read it right, you cannot get ABS unless you get the DCT? That kinda sucks.

I want to sit on one of these! I've owned quite a few Hondas over my life, but was considering a Super Tenere as my ADV (to replace my VTX Cruiser).

Maybe in a year or two they will up the option list (heated grips, cruise) for some of the farkles that all the other ADV bikes can be had with. Pounding pavement for a couple hundred miles sucks without at least a throttle lock, at least for me.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I have been keeping an eye on it. The price point is pretty enticing at 13,999 for the top model....about 8-10K less than the KTM counterpart.

rholbrook

I have a couple of neighbors with some adventure bikes. A couple BMWs and a KTM and the good ole KLR. The last ride they went on included a lot of dirt roads. The BMWs and the KTM came back with a lot of road rash where the KLR had none. Totally different bikes and weight. One of the BMWs had some problems and there was no dealer around for hundreds of miles. They limped it home. The BMWs are absolutely beautiful bikes. Had it been a Japenese bike, well, nearly every town has a dealership or atleast the odds of finding one are so much higher. Dealerships these days don't stock a whole lot anymore and honestly, its faster to get stuff from RMATV if something needs to be ordered now anyway but atleast you will have a mechanic available much closer on a Japanese bike. I have been looking at the Yamaha but this Honda is really nice. I personally would opt for a Honda or Yamaha over a BMW or KTM adventure bike just for the fact that the dealership network is much better. That being said, my dirtbikes will always be KTM from here on out unless Yamaha comes out with a 300 smoker with an electric button.

Greg

Admin
I have been keeping an eye on it. The price point is pretty enticing at 13,999 for the top model....about 8-10K less than the KTM counterpart.

You can find a new KTM 1190 Adventure for $14k if you look... the Africa Twin makes 93 HP and the KTM 1190 makes 150 HP... I think I'd much rather have the KTM. ;)

I would love to trade up to a 1190 Adventure from my current 990. The 990 is impressive offroad, but I'd prefer something a little more highway friendly.

Greg

Admin
You guys seen this?

[video=youtube;dOed6Osrj4E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOed6Osrj4E[/video]

The African Twin looks pretty composed flying thru the air! Obviously some of the top riders make it look easy. ;)

Caleb

I was watching this up till they released pricing. IMO, for similar pricing, I'd rather have the BMW F800GS or the Tenere, or a little more, step up to the KTM 1190. This is a Honda, the only advantage they ever have is pricing and they don't have it on this bike.

Greg

Admin
Lots of good info on the new bike! - http://dirtbiketest.com/fresh-dirt/2016-honda-crf1000l-africa-twin-first-riding-impression/

2016-Honda-Africa-Twin-6.jpg

(BTW... I recognize most of those places and have ridden many of them!)