Anyone happen to have an 8" sub in a box?

sixstringsteve

I'm tempted to sell my 10" Alpine sub for an 8". I'm looking for a punchy kick drum sound, and I don't need the insane low-end that my 10" sub has. I'd love to listen to a few different subs to see if an 8" sub can get me the punch I need. Anyone happen to have a quality 8" sub that isn't a factory-installed unit in your vehicle? I'd love to plug my amp into it for a minute and see how it sounds in the van.

Last edited:

rholbrook

I am working with a stereo shop right now for the Rubicon and they are trying to talk me out of an 8" and into at least a 10" but preferably a 12". I know what I like and I know I don't want all that really low base. I like the solid thump of an 8" sub. I have had many of them in the past. Cost isn't much more. They told me that they can turn the amp down so it doesn't do all the rattling. So whats the point then? He cant give me a good answer.

sixstringsteve

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. A turned down 12 does not sound like an 8.

In trying to decide on which sub to get. I have a 500w amp. Sundown has a great reputation, but I'm not sure if they're more punchy or rumbly. The 8" jl is supposed to sound fantastic too. I like the sound of my 10, it just has a bit too much low end.

Russ, which model are you going with?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
So, I have the aforementioned 10" in my Jeep, and a 12" in the Honda. Both are from the same line, same manufacturer and same amp pushing them. The 12" is FAR more gangster bass in the Honda. WAY more. Also, a 12" takes way more room to mount.

Jesser04

I have a buddy with a JL 8" in his tundra it's a custom box behind the back seat so taking it out isn't much of an option but you could come listen to it.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I am working with a stereo shop right now for the Rubicon and they are trying to talk me out of an 8" and into at least a 10" but preferably a 12". I know what I like and I know I don't want all that really low base. I like the solid thump of an 8" sub. I have had many of them in the past. Cost isn't much more. They told me that they can turn the amp down so it doesn't do all the rattling. So whats the point then? He cant give me a good answer.

Cuz the kid trying to sell you a sub, is probably into hip hop or electronic club shidazzle, or whatever the kids call it nowadays, and his dual 15" quadra-thumptastic-medallion 5 J series really makes his Bae go all cray-cray.

Where are you putting the sub in the Jeep?

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
A big sub can sound just as punchy as a small one, and quality subs benefit from being bigger. You have a problem in the mid bass part of the spectrum probably above the crossover setting to your current sub. My home system measures flat to 10 hz and it does not sound bloated or boomy. A kick drum will hit you in the gut but that comes from frequencies above the subwoofer part of the spectrum. Accurate bass no matter how low only adds to your musical enjoyment. I agree that poor reproduction of the lowest frequencies ruins it. If you are not getting the punch you desire look first to upgrading the main speakers.

sixstringsteve

I'll bet you're right bobdog, it's my midbass that's lacking; I want more midbass than low bass. My 5x7s go down to 50 hz, but I have the crossover set at 63. I actually think I'd be fine with a woofer, rather than a subwoofer, as I don't feel like I need much at the really low frequencies. I was hoping an 8" sub would let me play higher frequencies than my 10" sub.

My sub is rated for 28Hz - 200Hz. I think I set my crossover at 63-80hz. I'll have to play around with it a little.

I feel like my main speakers should be able to handle the sound I'm looking for, but maybe I'm wrong. These are my mains:

Speakers: JBL GTO 8628
http://amzn.to/1OQLUMi

I'd like to see if messing with my EQ will help.

Last edited:

airmanwilliams

I may have something in my garage you are welcome to have. Got it from Dan at lowrange 3 years ago I think and have never had the urge to put it in my sidekick.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I had 2 JL audio microsub 8"s in a ranger for a few years with some MB quarts 6" mids and 1" tweets. It was the most full sounding system I have ever built. It didn't boom but it sounded amazing.