Anyone have the ability to build/narrow D60 front housing?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Not for me but a friend asked me if anybody around the Salt Lake area had the ability to build a custom front Dana 60 using a 80s Ford KP housing. Just need to move the diff and change the width for the application.

I don't know of anybody in the area that does this kind of stuff anymore, does anyone have any suggestions?

Agility Customs

Vendor
Not for me but a friend asked me if anybody around the Salt Lake area had the ability to build a custom front Dana 60 using a 80s Ford KP housing and making it passenger drop.

I don't know of anybody in the area that does this kind of stuff anymore, does anyone have any suggestions?

It depends on how "correctly done" he wants it, We have done a number of them where we cut the tubes off and then machine a press fit sleeve to then press the tubes on the opposite side with out having to worry about milling out the plug welds or pressing the old tube out of the housing. IMO as long as the sleeve is press fit to keep it aligned then it in theory it should be straight and still more than plenty strong.

As far as I know nobody is really doing it the "correct" way anymore its to time consuming and aftermarket housings are cheap enough that it just doesnt make sense

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
^ this is what I did to change my my 80's KP (narrow short side) to 78 specs (long enough to fit a coil perch) but 13 years ago it was more of a thing to lengthen the short side and shorten the long side. At the time we bought the sleeves pre-machined off someone on Pirate and only had to chamfer it a little with a flap wheel to get it to slide into the tube.

Chevycrew

Ok ok. It was me. Haha. Back after a really long break.

The basic idea is to turn a 86-91 ford axle into a 78-79 axle by lengthening the driver side and shortening the passenger side, and rolling up the pinion a little in the process.

Speedymetals has the 3.125 x .5 tube. $350 for a 12" chunk, or $30 an inch.