Anyone know how to buy music licence for use w/ makeing video?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12904
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12904

Off topic but we do have a vast knowledge base here. Im making a DVD from the Wendover 200 and would like to legally use some music. Google says I need a sync and mechanical license but shows me no clear way to buy them aside from paying another company $100/hr with an unclear amount of hours needed to set it up. Their has to be a web site or something you just find the music you want and buy a license for "X" amount of mechanical copies?

Any help?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Using music in a video you will most likely have to deal with 2 factors.

1. The music composer for which you will have to talk to BMI, SESAC or ASCAP depending on who the composer is associated with.
2. The performers for which you will have to talk to RIAA.

Good luck.

DAA

Supporting Member
I think if it's commercial/popular/album/radio play music you want to use, the advice already given is correct - and can be simply distilled down to "good luck with that...". It's going to cost a lot of money, and you'll need a lawyer to write/review your contracts etc.

The other way to go is royalty free. When I was producing hunting videos, that's all I used. It's cheap and easy, just google "royalty free music" and you'll have more to sift through than you can handle. But, it's not going to be anything like a popular song on the radio. But, you might find a genre or a few tracks that you like and think will work well, and it will be cheap and easy and 100% legal to incorporate them into your product.

- DAA