Anyone run a CarFax for me?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I need a favor, looking at another car... :rolleyes: ... could use a CarFax.

3VW

As a friend, I would stop you right there and tell you not to look at any Volkswagens. But since you asked, I'll continue.

This exact 2005 Jetta was totaled in a collision on 11-17-2013. This incident is listed as a "multiple impact" collision, and it happened at 142,193 miles.

Based on that, I politely suggest you pass. :)

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
As a friend, I would stop you right there and tell you not to look at any Volkswagens. But since you asked, I'll continue.

This exact 2005 Jetta was totaled in a collision on 11-17-2013. This incident is listed as a "multiple impact" collision, and it happened at 142,193 miles.

Based on that, I politely suggest you pass. :)

:rofl: I do appreciate the info, but unless you can show me another make of car that costs around $5,000 that gets 45-50 MPG and lasts a long time without major problems, I'll stick with VW's. I've put around 200k miles on VW TDI's and think they're great cars.

Thanks for the info, that's what I was afraid of. The ad claims the car has a clean title, which really bothers me.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I do appreciate the info, but unless you can show me another make of car that costs around $5,000 that gets 45-50 MPG and lasts a long time without major problems, I'll stick with VW's.

Well, I certainly don't know everything. But if my 18+ years in the car business has taught me anything, it is this: buying a 10-year-old VW with +/- 150,000 miles is a considerable risk. While high mileage cars in general are known to "nickel and dime you" to death, we in the industry often say that a high mileage German car will "$50 and $100 bill you" to death. I'm glad you've apparently had good luck with your cars, Greg, because most 100,000+ mileage Jettas we get on trade require such significant repair bills that we just dump them on wholesalers.

But back to your question. If someone came to me needing a +/- $5000 car that got 45-50 MPG and could be expected to last a few years (if not more), my recommendation is easy: an early 2nd-gen Prius. Our high mileage Prius trades are generally solid, problem-free and running like new--in other words, the exact opposite condition of our 100k Jetta trades. Indeed, the 2nd-gen Prius has a reputation for being one of the most long-term reliable vehicles on the road, period, and from where I sit it is easy to understand why.

Finding one that fits your listed criteria is easy--KSL has more than a dozen of them listing for under $6000 as I type. Here is one I selected at random:

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/3229169?ad_cid=17

It's a 2004 with only 122,000 miles for $5200. Oh, and it has a clean title with no reported accidents--I already checked for you. :)

Thanks for the info, that's what I was afraid of. The ad claims the car has a clean title, which really bothers me.

I don't know how things work in Colorado, but in the seller's defense my title report doesn't show that a salvage title was ever issued for the car. The car was bought by an insurance company and even titled to them (title# 47G269947)... but, two years later, a new Colorado title (# 01C422086) was then issued for the car and that one is apparently not tagged as salvage. That's very odd to me, but maybe I just don't understand how Colorado's DMV does things? I am baffled.

Cascadia

Undecided
There are lots of vw's out there with issues. Prior to the early 2000's I wouldn't touch one. But with that being said, I have owned 2 98 a4's, 99 a4, 03 tt, 06 Touareg, and now a 15 tdi q5. These are all vehicles that we have kept for several years. Not cars that I flip. I had to do a clutch on an a4 and a timing belt and water pump on the tt. If you follow the recommended services they treat you nice. We will continue to buy audi'a because they have never given us a reason not to. I think a lot of times cars that are traded in to a dealer as a last resort of not being able to sell it on their own because their car is crap and nobody will buy it cause it was neglected. So I think that's a good reason why you only see crap vw's.

Greg

Admin
Well, I certainly don't know everything. But if my 18+ years in the car business has taught me anything, it is this: buying a 10-year-old VW with +/- 150,000 miles is a considerable risk. While high mileage cars in general are known to "nickel and dime you" to death, we in the industry often say that a high mileage German car will "$50 and $100 bill you" to death. I'm glad you've apparently had good luck with your cars, Greg, because most 100,000+ mileage Jettas we get on trade require such significant repair bills that we just dump them on wholesalers.

But back to your question. If someone came to me needing a +/- $5000 car that got 45-50 MPG and could be expected to last a few years (if not more), my recommendation is easy: an early 2nd-gen Prius. Our high mileage Prius trades are generally solid, problem-free and running like new--in other words, the exact opposite condition of our 100k Jetta trades. Indeed, the 2nd-gen Prius has a reputation for being one of the most long-term reliable vehicles on the road, period, and from where I sit it is easy to understand why.

Finding one that fits your listed criteria is easy--KSL has more than a dozen of them listing for under $6000 as I type. Here is one I selected at random:

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/3229169?ad_cid=17

It's a 2004 with only 122,000 miles for $5200. Oh, and it has a clean title with no reported accidents--I already checked for you. :)

I don't know how things work in Colorado, but in the seller's defense my title report doesn't show that a salvage title was ever issued for the car. The car was bought by an insurance company and even titled to them (title# 47G269947)... but, two years later, a new Colorado title (# 01C422086) was then issued for the car and that one is apparently not tagged as salvage. That's very odd to me, but maybe I just don't understand how Colorado's DMV does things? I am baffled.

I do appreciate your experience and opinion but after owning diesel Volkswagens for over 10 years and around 200,000 miles my experience seems to indicate the opposite. Obviously a big part of that is how a used car was maintained by previous owners, I always try to buy cars that are in excellent condition and well maintained. I sold my very first 2000 TDI Jetta to RotBox on here and it recently turned over 300,000 miles and is still running very well for him.

There is no way in hell I would ever drive a Prius, that's just not something I could do. I have loved how sporty and powerful these diesel Volkswagens are, especially with an aftermarket tune. A Prius could never match what a TDI VW can, performance wise. Driving on the freeway with a TDI is lots of fun, especially in the Colorado mountains. The turbo diesel effortlessly pushes the car over the hills... when other cars are screaming just to make it over the passes. On top of that I do a lot of driving for work, I have traveled across the country in the past and having a fuel efficient and Powerful car sure makes it a lot easier.

I wish you would have made your comment about the salvage title last night, I already called out the seller on the accident and salvage title report. Oh well, I'm not going to buy any car that was in a significant wreck. Just way too many potentials for problems down the road.

I have been trying to find an older Volkswagen diesel car earlier than 2009, because that's when the emissions scandal begins. It's becoming extremely hard to find an older, clean turbo diesel with the manual transmission and the other options that I want. Due to the emissions buyback, I'm going to have a decent chunk of change to buy a replacement car. I'm seriously considering buying a brand new Jetta with their 1.4l turbo gas engine, seems like it's very efficient and powerful without requiring high octane fuel. I would end up with about $5,000 on a loan, which is pretty reasonable. I've just become accustomed to no car payment.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I think a lot of times cars that are traded in to a dealer as a last resort of not being able to sell it on their own because their car is crap and nobody will buy it cause it was neglected. So I think that's a good reason why you only see crap vw's.

Fair enough (though that doesn't explain why we take in so many decent old Prius cars on trade).

I sold my very first 2000 TDI Jetta to RotBox on here and it recently turned over 300,000 miles and is still running very well for him.

That is genuinely fantastic.

There is no way in hell I would ever drive a Prius, that's just not something I could do.

Well, everybody has their own standards. ;)

I wish you would have made your comment about the salvage title last night, I already called out the seller on the accident and salvage title report.

I apologize I didn't expound on it last night; at the time, I didn't think there was a need.

I wish you the best of luck in your hunt for another car.

Greg

Admin
No worries Dempsy, I do value your experience and input... I used to turn wrenches long ago and learned to despise German cars. After breaking down and buying my first TDI Jetta due to traveling for work, my opinion has changed.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Hey this is an odd question, but could you measure from the back of the front seat to the front of the back seat in your Jetta for me?
(With the seat at a mid-point, not all the way back jolly green giant style).
I want to see if there's enough room for a BIG car seat.

My wife is toying with the idea of getting a slightly bigger car than her Impreza.

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
Lol, I went through this awile back looking for my tdi.
Was told to stay away from vw but had no other options apart from electric or Prius...witch me being a man, had no intrested in. Lol

I am intrested in my vin report if anyone can run it.
3vwsr69mx4m065705

Supposedly I am the third owner and has never been in a wreck. From what I have found so far I think it's possible..even found the window sticker.