Anything cool between SLC and Boise????

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Heading up to Boise for a few days next week on business, curious if anyone knows of anything cool to explore or visit on the way or around the Boise area. It's winter, so I'm sure any decently interesting trail won't have much access, but I'd love to check out any significant sites on the trip to make me feel better about the long drive...

Drove up last year and it seemed pretty dang boring, so my expectations are appropriately low...fully prepared for a let down...

Thoughts?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Well, I drive the route often, and you're right. Very boring.

Take some time and stop near Twin Falls (exit 173) and check out the gorge, you can often see people base jumping off that bridge.

There are also alternate routes. Go through Wells, NV and head north on 93 toward Twin Falls. It comes out at exit 173 on I-84. You can also take hiway 30 in Twin Falls instead of continuing to exit 173. Hiway 30 is more scenic. All of the alternate routes are about 50 miles longer for you, but are more interesting to look at.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Cool, thanks. I looked up the Perrine Bridge you referenced by twin falls, look pretty awesome! I'll definitely check out those alternate routes.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Shoshone falls just south east of Twin is pretty cool too. Outside of Boise, the Owyhee Mountains are neat, but I have only been out there once. Not sure what can be done in the winter. Check out Shoshone falls though, that is a neat scenic side trip that isn't too far out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toad

I think Shoshone Falls is lame unless there is tons of water going over it. The river is fenced off now. When we were kids we walked across the river right below the damn. Probably not the safest thing to have done. Cauldron Lynn is pretty neat. Not many people around. You can get right up to the edge of the water. The road into the canyon is steep so be careful this time of the year if snow is on the road.

http://magicvalley.com/lifestyles/r...cle_b2bba976-d37c-5157-8fd5-57ae1545d8c9.html

That picture is during high water run off. Probably will not have that much water coming off it.

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
If you want to see something cool between SLC and Boise then stop in Kaysville and look for Russ Holbrook. Coolest old fart around!