ARB Removal and Replacement

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
2005 and up Ford 60. I have to change inner axle seals:(. It has an ARB. I am seriously considering replacing with aDetroit but maybe not. Is there anything I should know ahead of time. Replace O rings?? How hard is it to unhook the air tube and work the carrier out and in. The truss on the axle won't allow me to use my case spreader Could I be screwed? Also wondering if I should be looking into upgrading axle joints while it is apart. Thanks in advance for guidance.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
You'll just need to undo the copper air line from the bulhead fitting, then everything should come apart without extra drama.

If everything locker-related has been working properly, I would just replace the seal housing O rings as long as you're in there, as well as the bulkhead fitting O rings. (if it has had other issues, then address them as needed)

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Is it just a standard size carrier or are the latter fords bigger. I’m finding conflicting info on Google. I have a regular old 60 Detroit I think I would rather run. I’m not finding any different Detroits or ARBs from what I gather but I’m also reading the ring gears are 10”

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The bulkhead fitting style depends on the age of the ARB, but most likely it's just two little O-rings that seal against the copper line.

I THINK it's the same D60 carrier as older ones.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I have heard that. I’m wondering if I go CTMs (the axle has cromo shaft already) if the chance of breaking will be worth the risk. Weak link pinion gear?? That should not kill the Detroit right