Arizona Strip/North Rim - very pic heavy!

DAA

Last week we spent five days playing in the Arizona Strip/North Rim country. Had a great time! Tons of pictures taken – I’ll share half a ton of them here <grin>.

Two rigs and four people on the trip, me and my son Logan in my ’06 LJ, our friends Steve and Jen in Steve’s ’12 JK.

On the way down to St. George Tue. night, my Jeep had the CEL come on and from the code it looked like probably a bad TPS. So after a huge breakfast on Wed. 5/2 at the Egg and I, we made a quick stop at the Autozone on Bluff street to replace the TPS in the parking lot.

Then we were on our way! We just headed south on River Road. Our first stop was this old place north of Mount Trumbull.

IMG_0739W.JPG

This little guy was the only one home :D.

IMG_0769W%20.JPG

When we got to Mount Trumbull there were a lot of rigs parked at the old schoolhouse so we didn’t even slow down for it, just motored right on past. A short distance up the road, I swerved to avoid running over this guy before shooing him off the road.

IMG_0772W.JPG

Next stop was the petroglyphs at Nampaweap. It’s a short walk from the parking area down into the canyon where there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of petroglyphs carved into the volcanic boulders.

IMG_0812W.JPG

The canyon was also loaded with large cocoons full of caterpillars. Never seen so many concentrated in one spot before – they were everywhere!

IMG_0814W%20.JPG

IMG_0821W%20.JPG

From Nampaweap, our next stop was an out of the way lava tube cave with some really cool pictographs.

IMG_0858_%20W.JPG

IMG_0869_%20W.JPG

More coming…

- DAA

DAA

Continued…

From the pictos in Paiute cave we motored to Torroweap and found an open spot in the campground there.

IMG_0919W.JPG

Following a delicious gourmet cheeseburger dinner, we headed down to check out the Torroweap overlook. The views were stunning!

IMG_0739W_1.JPG

IMG_0977_JWW.JPG

IMG_0965W%20.JPG

IMG_0966W%20.JPG

IMG_0936W%20.JPG

IMG_0955W%20.JPG

IMG_0970W%20.JPG

IMG_0983_WW.JPG

More to come…

- DAA

DAA

Continued…

The next morning, Thur. 5/3, after striking camp we drove to the rim of Tuckup Canyon, from where Logan and I took a hike to check out some rock art. The trail was about 7 mile round trip, with almost 2,000’ of elevation drop to get there and the same 2,000’ elevation gain coming back. Basically, 3.5 miles down-down-down to the site, then 3.5 miles up-up-up back to the Jeep.

This site is known as the Shamans Panel. I had read that the site had not been discovered until fairly recently in the 1980’s, but I think that may simply be the most well known and recent “publicizing” of the site, as I found inscriptions in the boulders there dating at least as far back as the 1940’s. Regardless any of that though – this is awesome rock art!

IMG_1057W.JPG

IMG_1060W.JPG

IMG_1061W.JPG

IMG_1077W.JPG

IMG_1051W.JPG

IMG_1079W.JPG

ShamanPnl3-640.JPG

And here is a link to a large “panelramic” of a bunch of shots stitched together:
Shamans Panel pano.

More to come…

- DAA

DAA

Continued…

From where we parked for the Shamans hike, we drove towards SB Point and found a nice campsite just outside the park where we didn’t need a permit and could have a campfire. After an awesome bbq pulled pork dinner, we started heading out to SB point for the sunset. A couple miles from camp, the inner torsion bar of my Swayloc broke off…

IMG_1103W.JPG

Only took a few minutes to remove the arm and link from the axle end and we were on our way again. In all the commotion, I missed the turn for SB point though! We ended up at an overlook looking down into 150 Mile Canyon instead. Much throwing of rocks off the cliffs ensued…

IMG_1117W.JPG

At one point, I layed down and used my legs to heave a 200 pound boulder over the edge. It went down a couple hundred feet before smacking into a MUCH larger boulder near the edge of the next big drop off. It ALMOST knocked the big boy over the edge, but not quite. So, the next half hour was spent getting more 100+ pound boulders aimed at it until it finally came loose. Had to weigh at least a ton, fell at least a thousand feet. I like throwing rocks…

The next morning, Fri. 5/4, after breakfast burritos and lots of coffee, we loaded up camp and headed back for SB point again, this time not missing the turn. I wish we could have seen it in morning or evening light, but even at high noon the view was still pretty dang good!

IMG_1122W%20.JPG

IMG_1156W%20.JPG

IMG_1165W%20.JPG

Pushing big rocks off of very high places was kind of a theme for the whole trip.

IMG_1127W%20.JPG

More to come…

- DAA

DAA

Continued…

From SB Point, we drove towards Kanab Point. Again, we stopped just short of the park boundary to make camp.

IMG_1172W.JPG

Dinner this time was teriyaki chicken wings with rolls and mashed potatoes. After dinner, we all piled in the Jeeps and headed out to Kanab Point for the sunset. These were the best views of the whole trip in my opinion!

IMG_1210W%20.JPG

IMG_1232W%20.JPG

IMG_1257W%20.JPG

IMG_1291_B3W.JPG

IMG_1303W%20.JPG

IMG_1295_BW.JPG

More to come…

- DAA

DAA

Continued…

We awoke in our Kanab Point camp the morning of Sat. 5/5 to yet another glorious morning. The weather could hardly have been better for the whole trip. Temps were mostly in the 70’s during the day, high 40’s at night, not too much wind other than the first day. Can’t ask for better!

After another big breakfast and breaking down camp, we headed towards Fredonia. When we hit pavement west of Fredonia, we had been on dirt for a little over 300 miles. We topped off our tanks and had burgers and shakes at Big Al’s in Kanab. Then turned south out of town, through Fredonia again and onto the very scenic drive over the Kaibab Plateau and down into House Rock Valley where we left pavement once again and headed north into the Vermillion Cliffs area.

Our first stop along the way was the roadside Condor viewing area.

IMG_1323W.JPG

IMG_1322W.JPG

Guess we were there at the wrong time of year though and no condors were seen.

Next stop was a short side trip off the main dirt road to visit an archaeological site, a partially excavated Anasazi ruin. There aren’t any walls left standing, but plenty of fallen rubble and lots of potsherds strewn about to see.

IMG_1325W.JPG

Here is Logan by what I’m guessing was the kiva.

IMG_1327W.JPG

From there it was on to our last camp site of the trip at White Pocket. We stopped to check out an old abandoned farm stead along the way.

IMG_1480W.JPG

IMG_1337_1%20W.JPG

IMG_1484W.JPG

IMG_1489_WW.JPG

IMG_1520_WW.JPG

IMG_1529_WW.JPG

More to come…

- DAA

DAA

Continued…

Eventually we arrived at our final camp site.

IMG_1348%20W.JPG

After ribeyes and fried cabbage for dinner, we made our way over to the White Pocket itself for the evening.

IMG_1376_WW.JPG

IMG_1402_WW.JPG

IMG_1410W%20.JPG

IMG_1422W%20.JPG

IMG_1425_WW.JPG

IMG_1438W%20.JPG

IMG_1446W.JPG

More to come…

- DAA

DAA

Continued…

Following the sunset at White Pocket, there was just one more night in camp…

IMG_1463W.JPG

IMG_1477_W.JPG

The next morning, Sun. 5/6, it was north on dirt to the highway, back in to Kanab for fuel and then the long drive home.
A little over 400 miles dirt total for the trip. One dead TPS and one dead Swayloc for me. Steve shredded one of the BFG MT’s on his new Rubicon.

All in all, a fantastic trip.

Thanks for looking!

- DAA

Houndoc

Sounds like a great trip- something I should add to my to do list.

Carefull with the large rocks, though. I know someone who came within inches of killing someone they did not realize was below them.:eek:

DAA

I can sure see why Don. It was definitely all of our favorite overlook of the trip. We didn't see anyone there either. Or at SB. In fact, after leaving Torroweap, we only saw one vehicle for the next 3 days until we hit the main road out to the highway. It was nice! But, yeah, I'll try and keep my trap shut :cool:.

- DAA

Don B

formerly rebarguy
I can sure see why Don. It was definitely all of our favorite overlook of the trip. We didn't see anyone there either. Or at SB. In fact, after leaving Torroweap, we only saw one vehicle for the next 3 days until we hit the main road out to the highway. It was nice! But, yeah, I'll try and keep my trap shut :cool:.

- DAA

Oh good, thanks.

Seriously though, if I was ever to ask myself why I love living in Kanab or why I have such an affection for the AZ. Strip, this thread would be the answer

sixstringsteve

Much throwing of rocks off the cliffs ensued…

At one point, I layed down and used my legs to heave a 200 pound boulder over the edge. It went down a couple hundred feet before smacking into a MUCH larger boulder near the edge of the next big drop off. It ALMOST knocked the big boy over the edge, but not quite. So, the next half hour was spent getting more 100+ pound boulders aimed at it until it finally came loose. Had to weigh at least a ton, fell at least a thousand feet. I like throwing rocks…

Pushing big rocks off of very high places was kind of a theme for the whole trip.

:rofl:

I could imagine you spending 5 hours chucking rocks off cliffs wondering where the time went. You crack me up. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you've probably chucked more big rocks off cliffs than anyone else. And Logan looks just like you. I can only assume he's a lady's man just like his old man.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I have to ask, what model of camera do you have? I've been thinking of updating my now aging digital slr, and resolution on your photos is amazing.

RockChucker

awesome pics and great report! my family has the same magnetic attraction to rocks and cliffs....hence my name on here. one person just has to start it and then it can literally go for hours. i have never figured out why it is so great to watch rocks fall (bigger the better).

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I like... To throw rocks off of cliffs..

Awesome report! That last shot of White Pocket with the sunlight stretching across the surface is stunning. Awesome photos as always!

radred92

Great report! all the better with the fabulous choice of an AGGIE t-shirt on Logan!! :D

As a female, I can only say this rock chucking thing compares to air guitars and the numerous hand prints repeatedly placed (with a jump) above every door frame in my house by my sons.:rolleyes:...us girls don't understand it, but we can't do anything about it....lol