Attn: All 4x4 Club Representatives - READ

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
The U4WDA is working with the AF Canyon area Forest Service to find clubs/groups to "adopt" trails in the AF Canyon area. Responsibilities would include a spring cleanup/trail clearing of some sort, and then at the most a monthly run up the canyon from say July-November (so ~ 5 times total). The spring cleanup could be the clubs annual service project (every club should have one!). The additional runs could be a couple of people that volunteer to run up at their leisure and give a report back on the condition and work to improve any needs?

Does your club have an interest in this? You don't need to decide today, tomorrow, etc... but we would like to get the ball rolling so that it is official for 2007.

Not in the AF Canyon area? Well then contact a land manager rep. in your local area and see if you can adopt a trail... what a better way to make a freindly contact. In addition, please record this contact and get it to Todd Adams so he can catalogue the info in our "Land Manager Contact Database"

Let me know!

-Kurt
kurt@u4wda.org

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Here is how it is going to go down...

1. We need to get with all of the participating clubs and make sure we have adequate coverage on all trails. There are several clubs currently interested in Forest Lake and Mineral Basin, and some that don't even know about the options yet. We just announced this to all the club delegates and BOD at the last U4 BOD meeting, some have stepped up and offered, others we have heard nothing from as of yet.

2. We will work on some sort of "working agreement" for your club, basically highlighting your dedication to trying your best to maintain and preserve the club. The FS folks are obviously realistic, but you will be representing not only your club, but our sport and our stewardship to the Forest Service. They will have a hard time closing trails when they know how hard we work for them. Hence why there have been minimal closures in the AF Canyon thusfar.

3. We will all meet (later in the fall?) go through the adoption paperwork, make assignments and hopefully get the signs on their way. Hopefully the signs can be installed in late 2006 for the official 2007 season.

In the meantime, the club should jump at every opportunity to work on a service project. Combine it with a day of regular wheeling and it doesn't seem to break the spirit. Stay tuned...

Last edited:

Poomba

XJEEPER said:
Kurt, I'm sure the local NAXJA chapter would be glad to pitch in. I'll ping the BOD and make them aware.

Yup. We'll be there. I can do fridays. Though, why we're waiting til 2007, I dunno. Then again, without a map, might take me that long to find AF canyon again....-_-

hologram

I live 5 miles from AF Canyon and am a member of NAXJA, U4WDA, UFWDA...
I think this is a great thing for us to do.
I'm in!!!:D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Thanks for all the interest :cool:

Steve Jackson and I are going to meet with the FS in the next couple of weeks to go over all the necessary details.

I'll post a report and status here.

In the meantime, get planning your clubs NPLD event :D

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
i just became a member of U4WDA, and U4x4C this morning... and of coarse long time member of the wonderful RME... i'm in on clean ups and stuff for sure.

-Jason