Auto theft

RockChucker

I don't know how far spread this problem is...but here goes. It is at least a problem in sandy.

My neighbor had their 2003-6 range Chevy Tahoe stolen out of their driveway in Sandy late last night or early this morning. A stolen later model (2010+) dodge caravan was ditched around the corner from my house as well.

When the cops were here with the tow truck picking it up, another neighbor learned from the cops that between 15 and 20 cars are being stolen in sandy every night right now. There is a pretty big ring going on. I don't know about other cities, but the thieves have keys for every make so it doesn't matter if the doors are locked or not (my neighbor's Tahoe was locked). The sandy police told us that the best thing for protection is a steering wheel lock. If it takes more than a few seconds to steal the car the thieves move on.

Apparently they had one in custody that had a whole mountain of keys, but the judge said they couldn't prove they were using the keys for lifting cars. So they let the person go. No bueno.

Just passing the word along. They are moving a lot of cars. Hopefully this will prevent some one's ride from being jacked.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Its a problem valley wide, they aren't selling them or stripping them for the most part. They are being used to commit other crimes then ditched

And our DA's office needs to pull their heads out of their arse because that happens more than you know

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Its a problem valley wide, they aren't selling them or stripping them for the most part. They are being used to commit other crimes then ditched

And our DA's office needs to pull their heads out of their arse because that happens more than you know

So, speaking purely as a private citizen who just might happen to know a thing or two about a thing or two, would you say the the club is an effective deterrent? Removable steering wheels? Lojack? Or should I just get around to wiring a hidden kill switch?

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Shannon's 4runner has been stolen and recovered twice. After the second time she bought the club. Times stolen since the club install zero. Its a good deterrent, biggest deterrent is locking your car and not leaving the keys in it. But older vehicles are more susceptible to "shaved" keys, so a visual deterrent is great, they are in a hurry and want to bounce fast. they for the most part wont take the time to cut a wheel lock off. I made fun of Shannon for years about her club but I'm in the market for one for my new runner :)

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
The quickest way to get your rig back is to have only a little fuel in it when its stolen. Typically they'll run it out of gas and ditch it before finding a new rig. That said, when the vehicle is recovered the PD will attempt to contact the registered owner. If you have your rig registered to an old address and/or an old phone number it is for sure going to the impound lot and will cost $$$ to get it out while you figure out with the insurance company what will get paid for. Cops would much rather be able to get ahold of you and wait the 30-45 minutes for you to get there to take possession of it rather than send it to the tow yard. Obviously if you report it stolen and its found a couple days later you had better have reported it with good contact info, but still, it sucked way bad towing a rig you new someone wanted/needed cause you couldn't get them on the phone.