Back to Half Ton

Bart

Since I sold my 5th wheel, boat, and now the gooseneck, I came to the conclusion that I really didn't need a diesel any longer. I have towed my Jeep behind a half ton in the past and it was fine. With the newer technology today's hafl tons are built better than older 3/4 tons. I have been looking around for a while, and GM trucks are priced pretty high if you want low miles and some creature comforts. I looked at Fords with Ecoboosts and the threads on here have made me a bit gun shy on those. I then looked at the newer Rams, and found one that fit my needs. It's a 2021 with 7900 miles, with a few of the options I wanted, plus the new Etorque technology that gives it better lower end torque and mileagle . Because of the low miles it still has a substantial part of the factory warranty, and it looks brand new. It has leather, heated and vented seats, remote start, heated steering wheel, and the bid display infotainment system. It's getting the factory trailer brake installed when they get one in, and will get Rhino Lined next week. I haven't had great luck with the older Ram trucks I've had, but those were from the late 90s, and I know the trucks and technology has improved substantially. Keeping my fingers crossed with this one.
R1.jpgr2.jpgr3.jpgr4.jpg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I didn't realize that they paired the e-torque with the V8. That would be interesting to see the performance differences.

I have the 5.7 and 8 speed in the Grand Cherokee and I'm shocked at how well it pulls the JK on a trailer. I'm sure your motor has a higher HP rating than the WK2 as well. I think you'll enjoy that Ram.

Bart

An update on the little truck. Installed rear air bags, leveling kit, toneau cover, Rhino lined the bed, and debadged the sides to clean it up. Took it on it's first trip to Moab towing the JK over the weekend and have to say I'm extremely impressed. Although it's a noticeably lighter truck it pulled every hill at the same speed I used to do in the DMax and averaged 10 mpg round trip. It was also nice to avoid the green handled pump at the gas stations.
Leveled.jpg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Look'n good Bart! Like you, I've been using a 1/2 ton to tow the buggy around for quite a few years now. Before that it was with a 3/4 ton diesel. I honestly haven't missed the diesel in terms of towing what I tow. But if I had the need for anything larger than what I commonly tow then obviously it would be an issue.

Competition has certainly made the newer gen 1/2 tons a viable option.