Backpack for trip to Europe

rholbrook

I am sending all three of my kids to Europe for a few weeks and want to get them each a good backpack instead of sending them with luggage.

I have been looking at a Cotopaxi Taboche 55L. Anyone have any experience with these or something similar?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I was looking at the Wilderness Outfitters packs at Recreation Outlet the other day. They seem pretty well made, and way less than the name brands.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Osprey is pretty much the highest rated pack out there. Worked good on the Napoli coast 22 miles for me

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
We used Osprey Porter's for our 2 week trip last summer. GREAT pack, would definitely recommend going that route. I did the 46l, which was a hair big for inner Europe carry on size, but I didn't get hassled for it (something to watch out for - when you only pay $30 for a flight, they nickel and dime you to death). My buddy had to pay $60 to check a bag on a $30 flight :rofl:

That said, I don't see a use for our packs in the near future. They're in outstanding shape, only the one trip on them. Porter 46 in black, Porter 30 in red. I'd let them both go for a good price. Let me know if interested.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/product/porter-46-PORTER46_703.html

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
My opinion on Europe packs in general - the one you linked to is waaaay too big. Most days we were able to drop our bags at our Airbnb the day we arrived. Two times we ended up with them on our backs for most of the day (in Venice, 3 hours of roaming around glad we packed light).

It's amazing how little you can take and be just fine. I think I had 4 pair of clothes and I took a 20' length of paracord for a laundry line. Washed clothes in sinks and hung them to dry. Worked fantastic.

SnwMnkys

I use a MEC 60 liter backpacking pack on my back and a regular backpack strapped to my chest when i move around traveling through SE Asia. If i did it again id probably get the Osprey Porter.