Baja 500 Casualties

Coco

It was a bad year for the Baja 500 :( I have been hearing mixed numbers, but I last heard was 3 MX racers were killed, and 1-2 spectators, including an 8 year old girl, who unfortunately was hit and killed by the local space monkey team (if I remember correctly?) the CEO of Vivant was behind the wheel of that vehicle. I heard they swerved to miss other spectators, and lost control and went into another group of spectators.

Another report was an Ultra4 chase car clipped a garbage truck, and they both rolled down a cliff. All people were ok, but the U4 team had to pay $23,500 before they could leave. I guess they attempted to talk to SCORE officials but that didn't go anywhere. That team said they seemed real corrupt and didn't want to work anything out. They decided they will no lover be racing in Mexico.

This is a lot of hear say from Facebook, but figured more news and corrections could be posted here as it becomes available.

Just a sad weekend for the sport :(

Jesser04

Here is a link to the crash it happen at about 1:20. I'm not a trophy truck driver but it all looks like it could have been avoided at the cost of some time. Sad deal none the less I'm sure the spectators and driver would do things differently if they had a do over.

https://youtu.be/s7QhCPzHLp8

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Mexico is a tough place to race but that is part of the appeal too. Spectator incidents are super common (unfortunately) as there is 1000+ miles of open course to police and locals will camp out and spectate in the middle of nowhere like crazy remote. We've been fortunate to not have any incidents and I pray we never do. It's a super know variable in Mexico as are bribe, on the spot cash payments, etc. To be fair, if a foreign national (without insurance) hit your car, would you be cool with them driving off or paying you on the spot?

Houndoc

Mexico is a tough place to race but that is part of the appeal too. Spectator incidents are super common (unfortunately) as there is 1000+ miles of open course to police and locals will camp out and spectate in the middle of nowhere like crazy remote. We've been fortunate to not have any incidents and I pray we never do. It's a super know variable in Mexico as are bribe, on the spot cash payments, etc. To be fair, if a foreign national (without insurance) hit your car, would you be cool with them driving off or paying you on the spot?

I appreciate someone putting a favorable spotlight on the troubles in Mexico. Too often is it all complain and condemn.

Not race related in any way, but I had someone rear end me in a rental car in Ensenada last month. I was only a bit surprised when both the rental car agency and the insurance company recommended, in a roundabout way, that I not involve the police and get whatever cash I could to cover the damages directly from the people in the other car. I followed that advice as it was the standard custom. Luckily, since I had purchased insurance, I didn't need more than a couple of thousand pesos. I love Mexico, but be prepared and aware of what is going on! It never hurts to speak a little Spanish, too!