Big Green Egg???

carsonc1974

So I'm thinking about picking up one of those ceramic charcoal grill/ smokers... does anyone have any experiences with kamado style grills? They are pretty pricey to jump in with no previous smoking experience, but they look like a lot of fun and would remove a lot of the use of the oven in the summer time. Any die hard griller/ smokers out there?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Another Jeep

ONDAROX
I absolutely love my Knock-0ff version of the Big Green Egg. I picked it up at Costco for about $400.00 and haven't used my gas grill since. That was about six months ago. You'll absolutely love it!!!

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I've had either a Kamado or a Big Green Egg for the last 12 years and will never be without some form of ceramic charcoal grill. I can smoke barbeque @ 220 for 20 hours or cook pizza @ 600. Ask away, or come by and look/taste. Steve can vouch for my pizza.

-frieed

carsonc1974

Freed, that is exactly the allure of a kamado to me. The range of things that you can do is amazing... I just didn't know if there was something difficult or annoying that nobody talks about in all the reviews or advertisements... I was actually looking at one from a company called vision... they seem to have some features green egg doesn't , for a whole lot less$$$

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I have no loyalty to a particular brand, just the style of cooker.

My original was a K7 size Kamado brand.
A gorgeous thing with cobalt blue tile and was a good bit bigger than the large BGE and weighed in at about 450lbs.
k7.jpg
Kamado is now out of business and I sold it before I moved to Utah a couple years ago. The size of it let you put more charcoal in it making it a little easier to hit high temps for pizza.

I really only have two issues with my current large BGE, not enough airflow through the stock bottom grate, and not enough flexibility in the distance from the charcoal to the food. I have solved both issues with a mig welder, a Harbor Freight ring roller, and a bunch of 3/16" and 1/4" HR round stock. First off, I made a charcoal basket that lets far more air through then followed up with grill risers to allow me to raise the food up higher.

My BGE can now easily reach pizza temps with the new charcoal basket I fabricated and is easier to maintain low temps then my old Kamado.

I used to have a small kamado as well for portability. It worked fine for grilling but did not do well smoking foods because it needed more space between the food and the charcoal. So for portability, get a Weber Smokey Joe. Just as good for grilling, and vastly less expensive.

As for charcoal, pretty much all I use is Royal Oak from Wal-Mart. On occasion I'll get 40lb bags of Mesquite charcoal from Sams(or maybe costco) because it's really cheap, but only use it for high temp because the smoke is really strong smelling. I've been known to stockpile up to 30 bags of Royal Oak since Wal-Mart carries it seasonally and I use the barbeque year round (that reminds me, I'd better stock up again)
My favorite wood for smoking is apple, but I use hickory as well.

check out www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm to see how deep this particular rabbit hole goes.
(don't worry about the name, perfectly family friendly and safe for work)

If you are interested in pizza I could probably teach a course on it.
  • Make your own dough for the crust. (I make mine from a sourdough starter that I can share if you want)
  • Make your own sauce. ( I make my own sauce 18 pints at a time and can it with a pressure canner. I sometimes make my own sausage to go on it).
  • Boars head whole stick pepperoni is by far the best I've found around here, Tony's was the best when we lived in Sonoma county, CA.
  • Get the grill hot, hot, hot. I cook pizza at around 600°-650°
  • Beware flashback when cooking at these temps (the website above has a demonstration)
  • Forget the pizza stone that comes with the cooker, get http://bakingstone.com/shop/barbecue_grill/ I have used the 14.5 inch one for 10 years now
  • Forget using cornmeal on the pizza paddle to aid getting the pizza onto the grill (unless you like the sensation of sand under your pizza). I spread the dough out on a piece of non-stick aluminum foil, plop it down onto the 600° pizza stone, wait about 60 seconds, the grab a corner of the foil and jerk it right out from under the pizza. Works perfectly.
  • Cook the pizza high up in the dome to balance the heat to the top and bottom.

Last edited:

carsonc1974

wow these things sound amazing... I was kinda hoping for some bad news so I didn't want one so bad :rofl:... Frieed, sounds like you have your pizza down! I used to make a pretty good pizza when i was in highschool (worked in a restaurant) but gave up at home because I couldnt get the oven hot enough. A good thin crust margarita made at home sounds AWESOME!

Another question, Say your doing a pork butt or something that you would smoke low and ssssllllooowww, talking 10-12 hours. Would your charcoal last that long, or are you looking at adding some half way through?

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
It will hold enough for 12 hours.
For really long cooks it's important to get the charcoal size pretty uniform and about the size of a ping-pong ball. This makes sure each piece is touching several neighbors. This is important for low-and-slow since the amount of actively burning charcoal at any given time is really small and the heat won't bridge air gaps the way it will when cranked up for grilling or pizza. Also be careful with your temps for low and slow. The temperature can rise quickly, and drops very slowly. I'd love to try a traeger for low and slow some day. I see camp-chef now has a pellet grill as well.

sixstringsteve

having tasted frieed's pizza, I want one just for pizzas. Although I have a feeling it still won't turn out the same as his...

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I have a coworker with a kamodo and one with a Trager grill so I seem to hear about each of them. Both seem to enjoy the grills, the Trager seems more set and forget it. The Kamodo guy used to have issues with temperatures, he's figured out he likes the lump charcoal, burn from top down and don't open the lid. He says he has it down to where he says he can keep the temperature at a certain level for hours on end and usually will do a pork roast when he works at home.

The coworker that owns the Trager has brought in smoked fish and Jerky he did on his, both were excellent.

carsonc1974

If I was only interested in smoking, I would definitely get a greater... the range of cooking temps and multiple uses of the kamado is what I'm so interested in.

carsonc1974

Well, i think ive found the best deal im going to get this year. Kamado Joe Classic with cover, heat deflector, and pizza stone for $800+tax. I thought i was going to be able to do a little better since its off season, but nobody seems to want to wheel and deal.