Bike Troubles

Cascadia

Undecided
Some of you know I have been having issues with my 07 ktm 250 xcf. I bought it down in st. george. It ran fine down there for the short test drive around the neighborhood. I got it home to Orem and wanted to ride it around, change the chain, put on a computer, skid plate, and hand guards. I didn't get very far with it. I got the computer installed and the new chain on. I gave up there because I have had the hardest time getting it started.

I would take me literally 50-75 kicks to get it started. It would run great once started except for if you let off the gas too much it would stall. Then it would take another 100 kicks to get started. I couldn't figure it out so I took it in to Motofrugals in Orem. I have had lots of recommendations for them.

I took it in and they rejetted it, cleaned up the carb and tuned it a little bit. They rode it around the parking lot for a bit and said that had it running great. I pick it up, get it home, and try to start it. They said they had it down to 3 kicks max. I can live with that. It took me 25. Rode it one block, ran great. Turned on to the next block started to backfire and run a little rough. Turned onto the next block and it ran even more rough and backfiring pretty bad if I let off the clutch slowing down. Got to the stop sign and it stalled. It took me 10 kicks to get it started. Ran terrible for the next block into my garage. I pulled inside the garage and it stalled. I never got it started again.

This all happened the same day I picked it up. I was trying to get it ready for the dunes trip. Didn't happen. I took it back in the next morning. They went through the carb again said it was plugged again and had a bunch of junk in it. The cleaned it out checked the gas, it was clean, put a filter on the carb somehow and it slowly got cleaner and cleaner. Eventually it was clean but they still took the carb out and soaked it over the weekend. Got it back together and it runs great and fires right up when it is cold. As soon as it gets up to temps it runs like crap again.

So even with all that has been done to it, it is still doing the same exact thing. Once it runs rough at running temps it runs like crap and eventually dies and is hard to kick again. The needle and seat has been checked and there is no problem there.Fuel is flowing into the carb so it's not stuck shut. There is no fuel leaking out of the carb overflow so the needle is not stuck open either. The float is also in the proper position. So we obviously have good spark and fuel but when warm, it sucks.

What do I do now? For those of you who know tons about bikes please help me out here. What else would you try? Does it seem possible that it would be a blown head gasket or warped head? Would these be my symptoms? I really would like to get this running so I can use it.

In the mean time I picked up a yzf 450 quad!! But I want my bike running!!

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
First thing I would do is get my money back, and give us all the name of that shop so we can avoid them in the future.

I am not a 4 stroke expert, but I had a bike once that seemed similar to what you have... Our would not start off the battery and starter when warm, and had to be pull started. The valve clearance was bad and would cause a lot of compression when warmed up.

Call Lindsay Machine ( http://www.lindsaymachineracing.com/LINDSAY_MACHINE_RACING/Welcome.html ) those guys are amazing, and can actually get it going right for you .. They may be able to tell you on the phone what your issue is even..

Cascadia

Undecided
That's the other thing. When I took it in I was thinking it needed the valves adjusted. That's the feedback I was getting from everyone. They said my valves were perfectly in spec. I'm starting to wonder.

rholbrook

Two things come to mind for me is a bad gas tank cap vent Try loosening the cap once it starts running bad. If its stuck closed that can do it because it creates a vacuum

The second thing is the ignition could be craping out on it when it gets warm.

Its not valves or jetting, it has to be one of these.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
You say you changed the computer. I am going to assume this could be causing a problem with the ignition. 4 strokes are not as sensitive to jetting as 2 strokes. Take it back to stock and see if that fixes it.

Cascadia

Undecided
You say you changed the computer. I am going to assume this could be causing a problem with the ignition. 4 strokes are not as sensitive to jetting as 2 strokes. Take it back to stock and see if that fixes it.
Not the computer on the bike, just an aftermarket trail tech added so I know miles, temps, time, and speed. Nothing is hooked to the bike wiring.

Cascadia

Undecided
Two things come to mind for me is a bad gas tank cap vent Try loosening the cap once it starts running bad. If its stuck closed that can do it because it creates a vacuum

The second thing is the ignition could be craping out on it when it gets warm.

Its not valves or jetting, it has to be one of these.
It could really be something this minor? If its the ignition and not the gas cap what all does that entail replacing ?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I bought two bikes in the last three years that would run somewhat decent until warmed up then they would run very poor and/or die. Both suffered from valves that were out of spec--really really out of spec--and both had their valves recently adjusted by two different well known bike shops. While the issues weren't as severe I've had countless others in my garage that needed adjustment as well. I would be happy to double check them for you (sent PM) if you're willing to make the drive.

I agree with everyone else that has posted but I would get those valves re-checked. If your shop said it was running great and it is obviously not I would question their competency :-\

Cascadia

Undecided
I bought two bikes in the last three years that would run somewhat decent until warmed up then they would run very poor and/or die. Both suffered from valves that were out of spec--really really out of spec--and both had their valves recently adjusted by two different well known bike shops. While the issues weren't as severe I've had countless others in my garage that needed adjustment as well. I would be happy to double check them for you (sent PM) if you're willing to make the drive.

I agree with everyone else that has posted but I would get those valves re-checked. If your shop said it was running great and it is obviously not I would question their competency :-\
I would definitely take you up on your offer if you were closer. Maybe if someone heads up that way and some heads down I'd be all for it. If like to think the shop is competent because I've had recommendations from guys who have gotten valve jobs and carbs tuned.