BlackSheep's new ride "Galahad"

I had alluded to an upcoming purchase in the past. I made the order in early September 2019 and on February 12, 2020 I arrived in Kansas City, Mo, headquarters of VanDOit and picked up my 2019 VanDOit LIV adventure van. I made a video of myself when I picked it up - I was pretty excited.

I've also revised my blog, included the video and some additional photos which I'll repeat here.
IMG_4179.JPG
IMG_4180.JPG
IMG_4181.JPG
IMG_4182.JPG
IMG_4183.JPG
IMG_4184.JPG
IMG_4187.JPG
IMG_4188.JPG
IMG_4189.JPG
IMG_4192.JPG

The chassis is a 2019 Ford Transit 350 high roof, long wheelbase (but not extended body) with a Quigley 4x4 conversion. Engine is the 3.5L ecoboost (which is actually pretty damn fast in this big machine). Full tow package including brake controller, limited slip rear diff, navigation, heated and electric custom leather front seats. I have passenger seating for up to 5 passengers in the back. The van is super modular and I can pull the kitchen pod out and put those three seats (2 x 2 seater benches + 1 x jumpseat).

The bed is on a hydraulic lift to allow various height gear to go on the sliding gear tray. I have fit my 3 bikes on the tray and probably could still fit 2 more if I had the fork mounts.

300 amp-hours of battery, 400 watts of solar on the roof. Thule awning over the passenger sliding door, LED lights on front, passenger side (under the awning) and in the rear.

The kitchen pod has a hot water / water pump module. That means I can completely remove the kitchen pod and all water systems if I wish - i.e. to haul more passengers for a running relay or a big bike ride or whatever. The fresh and grey water tanks are 6 gallons but I figure I'll have a separate 5 gal drinking water bladder hanging from the skeleton on the roof.

I'm going for my first overnight camping trip with my dog tonight, so we'll see how it works out.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
That is a LOT of 80/20!

That thing is cool! I want to know what the Quigley 4x4 conversion consists of though. Is it still IFS? It doesn't look tall enough to fit a solid axle like they did on older vans.

Tonkaman

This thing is so cool!!! I’ve been geeking out over vans this last year. I love how modular you kept the design, you must be so stoked!

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
That is a LOT of 80/20!

That thing is cool! I want to know what the Quigley 4x4 conversion consists of though. Is it still IFS? It doesn't look tall enough to fit a solid axle like they did on older vans.

It is still IFS. It's not as hardcore as the Econoline models. I wanted the 4x4 for MILD wheeling, mostly just so I could have some confidence in getting a bit off-grid without as much concern as if I only had 2wd. I think they take the components from the F150. It is a selectable T-case with 4lo and 4hi.

Ok, but drop bars? Dude.

That's just one of the bikes. I do have a mtb, it's in there, in the middle. With all the rain we get out here in the SE, it is necessary to have a ride to hit the gravel roads.

This thing is so cool!!! I’ve been geeking out over vans this last year. I love how modular you kept the design, you must be so stoked!

I wish I could claim all of the credit. In effect, it is a (mostly) standard model from VanDOit. I did select a few options that allows a bit more modularity than the 'standard' build, but the main elements of the interior are part of what they call the LIV model. I'm actually on my first camping trip as I type this reply. I don't think my dog is impressed. :rofl:

Last edited:

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Here's an update for you - my last post was my first camping trip and I said my dog wasn't impressed. Well, after having been traveling now (mostly) since mid-November 2020, I think my dog is totally loving it.

Gunner's really interested in getting on the trails and running! Not bad for a 10 year old dog.
IMG_6427[1].JPG

That photo is from Table Rock State Park, in the Upstate of SC.

We've been to Massachusetts and back from Greenville, SC. On that trip we mostly found out of the way places to park the van for the night to sleep. We found some cool places on the way up and the way back. A small lake we stayed at outside of the Catskills had a great trail around the perimeter so he got to go off leash for that hike / run. We also stopped at the Great Falls of the Potomac on the way south.
IMG_6104.JPG

We also went to Kansas City for a visit to VanDOit. I stayed in campgrounds on the way up, but they were practically empty. Gunner got to have a number of hike / runs off leash. I had a couple of great experiences driving the van on that trip - nearly got myself in a pickle. Only the 4wd and good traction from my tires got me out of the mud! I'm trying to plan my route like I'm riding a bicycle. It's pretty fun.

I had to get Gunner to the vet, in Greenville, plus there was some needed maintenance for BlackSheep. I stayed in the upstate for about 10 days or so. Now I'm headed south in an attempt at finding warmer weather. Now in Florida, about mid-way between Jacksonville and Tallahassee. It's still chilly but at least the sun is shining during the day. I suppose it's in the upper 50s so that's quite nice.

This last photo is from a recent camp in S. Georgia.
IMG_6483[1].PNG

I'm having a good time traveling around in my van with my dog! At the end of Feb I'll be loading up BlackSheep on my soon-to-be-acquired trailer and heading west. I'll be looking for someone who can help me find storage for BlackSheep and the trailer. Preferably stored together. Any recommendations? Near Moab is best as I have three events that I'm signed up for during the period March - Early May. At least I have campground reservations - haven't actually signed up for any of the events just yet.